• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

atlas hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I recently left Atlas because the working conditions and quality of life sucked. I left within two years of being hired and so did all but 2 of the 14 hired in my class. Atlas is not hiring due to growth, they are hiring because of attrition.

Admittedly I was naive about Atlas when I accepted the interview and I foolishly believed the information I got from the person conducting the interview (MBSCP).

I was told to expect to be based in STN for 12 months max and that there were plenty of Atlas flights between the US and STN to get me to work. I was also told they would "work with me" in order to get me to my assignment. Also, I was told the most I’d be away from home was 17 days. None of that proved to be true.

In my opinion here are the problems with Atlas:

STN:

You will be based in STN which is about an hour train ride ($40 each way) or two hour bus ride ($30 each way) outside of London. Currently you need about 6 year’s seniority to hold a US base. Atlas does not operate any flights out of or into STN, yet it is a crew base that is growing (more displacements).

As a US passport holder, when clearing immigration and passport control in the UK, you will be asked why you are coming to the UK. If you tell them you are based in STN and are going to work, you will be detained (work permit? What work permit. My company didn’t tell me I needed one.) This happens pretty frequently until you figure out the “right” answers to the questions.

Being on reserve (standby as Atlas calls it) is an expensive proposition. I spent anywhere from $36 a night at a hostel (not very dignified for a mid-thirties, college educated professional airline pilot) to $150 a night at the Radisson STN while on standby. A few of my class mates quit early on because they were spending more on hotels than they were earning in salary.

Jumpseating back and forth to Europe is very difficult, especially in the summer when the loads are heavy. The European gate/ticket agents and passport control people are not very familiar with the whole concept of jumpseating. FedEx, UPS, and American do not allow Atlas pilots to jumpseat internationally. So you are somewhat limited on your choices. I mostly used United and they were fantastic (business class every time). Northwest’s policy is to put you in coach even if business class has open seats. Only once did the crew let me sit in business class. In addition you have to carefully choose your flights when leaving Europe. Even if there are multiple flights going to the US within a fairly close time period, you can’t just run from one gate to the next like you can domestically. You have to re-pay the departure tax at the ticket counter or transfer desk and then clear security and passport control. Also, Delta won’t take you unless you “check in” 90 minutes prior to scheduled departure time. MaxJet goes directly to STN so they are a pretty good option, unless they cancel.

When it comes time for your PC/PT recurrent training, don’t be surprised if you have to go to LHR instead of MIA. Since you are based in STN you have to get there on your own and pay for your hotel.

It’s not impossible, and many people do it, but the commute to STN is extremely stressful.

Schedules:

The schedules are not very marriage/family friendly. I averaged 22-23 days away from home. You owe the company 17 days a calendar month, but they are allowed to take four addition days every month to “protect the operation”. It happens all the time. My longest trip was 26 days. Also quite frequently trips get carried over into the following month. Once you are stuck in that “bidding cycle” it is difficult to get out. Atlas uses PBS for bidding monthly schedules and it seems there is very little transparency to the system. Having PBS and being junior blows.

Politics and Corporate Culture:

There are numerous factions within the pilot group: ALPA Atlas STN, Non-ALPA Atlas STN, AABO STN, GSS, Atlas JFK/ANC/LAX/MIA (with gateway travel), Polar and now DHL (ASTAR and ABX). It’s an absolute mess. Divide and conquer at its finest.

The culture of the training department was pretty surprising to me. I’ve been through enough training events in my career (6 transport category aircraft, 4 type ratings, no busts) to know. It was pretty disheartening to see guys “wash out” during initial training. What bothered me the most was the “pride” the training department seemed to take in the bust rate. There are a few really good guys in the training department, but unfortunately they are outnumbered.

Despite all of the above, I don’t regret my time at Atlas. I traveled the world (circled the globe on my first trip), I got typed in the 747-400, and experienced many cultures. But in the end the negatives outweighed the positives and so I quit…leaving an opportunity for the next sucker.

cmij733,

Great post, hopefully this will answer any questions for those who might be considering employment at Atlas Air.

I am not interested in applying to Atlas (especially after hearing about the STN disaster), but I am curious about which aircraft newhires get placed into. Do they go to the 200 or the 400 out of STN? What proportion get 200 vs. 400? Do the 200s and 400s tend to fly different routes out of STN?

Lastly, have all of the Polar pilots been recalled? If so, have they junior pilots been transferred to STN or do they go back to Polar domiciles?

I am not interested in applying to Atlas (especially after hearing about the STN disaster), but I am curious about which aircraft newhires get placed into. Do they go to the 200 or the 400 out of STN? What proportion get 200 vs. 400? Do the 200s and 400s tend to fly different routes out of STN?

Lastly, have all of the Polar pilots been recalled? If so, have they junior pilots been transferred to STN or do they go back to Polar domiciles?

Firstly, Atlas do NOT fly from STN. They put you on Ryanair or Easyjet to some place in continental Europe to start your trip "from" STN, if you have the audacity to show up in STN. They much prefer you jumpseat direct thus saving them the crummy ticket price on a euro loco cattle bus!

Lastly, an arbitrator forced the company to recall the illegally furloughed Polar pilots. The company wants to furlough them again and put them at the bottom of the Atlas list until this mess is resolved and then put them back to the combined seniority positon the arbitrator assigned them. That seniority number could have them based in Timbuktoo for all I or anyone else know!

Post lastly, cmij733`s review is the go-to post if you want to know what to expect should you accept this assignment! That summary is spot on!

Firstly, Atlas do NOT fly from STN. They put you on Ryanair or Easyjet to some place in continental Europe to start your trip "from" STN, if you have the audacity to show up in STN. They much prefer you jumpseat direct thus saving them the crummy ticket price on a euro loco cattle bus!

Lastly, an arbitrator forced the company to recall the illegally furloughed Polar pilots. The company wants to furlough them again and put them at the bottom of the Atlas list until this mess is resolved and then put them back to the combined seniority positon the arbitrator assigned them. That seniority number could have them based in Timbuktoo for all I or anyone else know!

Post lastly, cmij733`s review is the go-to post if you want to know what to expect should you accept this assignment! That summary is spot on!

Good info. Clearly not the place to be any time soon. Got it. What about being assigned the 200 vs. the 400? Do the 200s and 400s fly different routes?

Let me ask you Polar guys a stupid question -

How does polar "base" her flight crews in the UK? smells like cabotage to me. Just wondering how this works? or is it just a "crew outstation" if you will...?

I can just picture Cargolux opening a JFK base...

Also If you choose to reside in Europe does Polar take care of ur EU visa/work permit !?

Last edited:
Flyingducthman,

I think you mean to direct your question to the Atlas guys. The Polar pilots are all based in either ORD or LAX.

PS- Like the Avatar....;)

As a US passport holder, when clearing immigration and passport control in the UK, you will be asked why you are coming to the UK. If you tell them you are based in STN and are going to work, you will be detained (work permit? What work permit. My company didn’t tell me I needed one.) This happens pretty frequently until you figure out the “right” answers to the questions.

Being on reserve (standby as Atlas calls it) is an expensive proposition. I spent anywhere from $36 a night at a hostel (not very dignified for a mid-thirties, college educated professional airline pilot) to $150 a night at the Radisson STN while on standby. A few of my class mates quit early on because they were spending more on hotels than they were earning in salary.

Jumpseating back and forth to Europe is very difficult, especially in the summer when the loads are heavy. The European gate/ticket agents and passport control people are not very familiar with the whole concept of jumpseating. FedEx, UPS, and American do not allow Atlas pilots to jumpseat internationally. So you are somewhat limited on your choices. I mostly used United and they were fantastic (business class every time). Northwest’s policy is to put you in coach even if business class has open seats. Only once did the crew let me sit in business class. In addition you have to carefully choose your flights when leaving Europe. Even if there are multiple flights going to the US within a fairly close time period, you can’t just run from one gate to the next like you can domestically. You have to re-pay the departure tax at the ticket counter or transfer desk and then clear security and passport control. Also, Delta won’t take you unless you “check in” 90 minutes prior to scheduled departure time. MaxJet goes directly to STN so they are a pretty good option, unless they cancel.

If this is true, (and I have full faith that what you are saying is true) then how does it continue to go on? Why haven't the Brit immigration folks caught on? Why hasn't Atlas been held accountable with the Brit Govt for having a pilot domicile full of Americans with no work permits? Why can't the Atlas ALPA folks pursue a solution by exposing this to the Brit authorities. I would think lying to immigration is a fairly serious thing.

Atlas use an immigration loophole under a business visitor exemption for flightcrews paid by a foreign entity to obtain instruction or pick up a flight. Not sure how they then are able to take up residence, but thats what happens.

You don't necessarily have to lie to the immigration people, you just have to answer the questions properly, as in "I'm a flight crew member picking up an airplane". As soon as you say "I'm going to my base to begin work" all kinds of red flags go up and the interrogation begins. Most of us had to figure this out the hard way (no fines or penalties for me) but it is a pain and not very pleasant the first time around. Eventually the company faxes a letter that somehow appeases the immigration folks (some sort of loophole as previously mentioned).

If you want to just live in Europe then your quality of life will be much better. As I understand it, as a crew member, as long as you exit the EU once every 90 days then you are ok. For me that wasn't an option because my family would have to leave and come back every 90 days also.

The hole immigration/workpermit/visa issue is complicated and some people make it work to their advantage. For me it wasn't a realistic option.

Latest resources

Back