atlas hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
thats what i thought,

how bad could it be? im stuck right now in a regional flying 7 legs a day, no upgrade no money no adventure. and atlas will pay for my 400 type send me to exotic places and pay me well? sign me up.

well myself and every FO at STN is here to tell you that it is not worth it.

dont give in to the temptation. these people dont care about the crews one bit. they will burn you down with the feds, will fire you in a heartbeat, will try to do illegal things to you. go ahead and call alpa national and ask them who has the most section 19's right now and for all time(firings) and they will say ATLAS AIR. they will fire you without hesitation. the training dept is filled with amateurs and the ex colonel captains you will fly with are a joy as well.

buy hey what do i know.

have fun in stn.

but you can always reference my first post.

get the type and go to NCA or KOREAN

thats what i thought,

how bad could it be? im stuck right now in a regional flying 7 legs a day, no upgrade no money no adventure. and atlas will pay for my 400 type send me to exotic places and pay me well? sign me up.

well myself and every FO at STN is here to tell you that it is not worth it.

dont give in to the temptation. these people dont care about the crews one bit. they will burn you down with the feds, will fire you in a heartbeat, will try to do illegal things to you. go ahead and call alpa national and ask them who has the most section 19's right now and for all time(firings) and they will say ATLAS AIR. they will fire you without hesitation. the training dept is filled with amateurs and the ex colonel captains you will fly with are a joy as well.

buy hey what do i know.

have fun in stn.

but you can always reference my first post.

get the type and go to NCA or KOREAN

Better yet, go to Cathay Cargo and fly a 400 from a US base.

STN = Abuse

Better yet, go to Cathay Cargo and fly a 400 from a US base.

That is a much better alternative to STN, but we have 1 new hire in class now (400 FO/STN) and I hear that we have quite a few candidates based on the number of resumes coming into HDQ. Some guys just don't know what they're getting into, just want to fly a 747 at all costs :mad:

B747 in no time!!!!! here we go....

That is a much better alternative to STN, but we have 1 new hire in class now (400 FO/STN) and I hear that we have quite a few candidates based on the number of resumes coming into HDQ. Some guys just don't know what they're getting into, just want to fly a 747 at all costs :mad:

Does anyone also think that this is sort of like those ads you see in "flying" mag or in "plane and pilot" where you see a young kid smiling happily in the right seat and on top are the words, 0time to Jet time in 6 months!
Kids go to ERAU or whatever, put in their time there and walk into a right seat. They find out firsthand what it really means to work for 18K a year and fly 7 legs a day, day after day, and to pound it out month after month.

They bitch and moan and contribute to a conversation as if they have been around for a decade then get "bored" with the right seat of an RJ once they find out that upgrade isnt 2 months away....then look for........a B747 job!
hey how about that? We'll hire you, because you'll have $$ signs in your eyes, have a raging hard on for singapore, hong kong, and hawaii layovers and would love to be based in STN or ANC or NRT! then they get there, get beat the hell up and before long they bitch and moan, totally forgetting the fact that less than 2-3 years ago they were learning what pitch and airspeed meant!

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying young guys suck, they dont. they just get suckered in with images of prestige, respect and high pay....get there and then forget just how lucky they are to even be in a cockpit considering the obstacles ......and just simple dont know any better and want to fly a B747 at any cost!!!!......like the previous poster just said.

Yeap, makes it hard to raise the bar or eliminate bs like a stn base when guys are more than eager to go......sigh.....as long as these 0 time to B747 in not time ads are alive and well.....our battles are just that much harder......oh well...

STN Sucks!!!!

[/b]

Does anyone also think that this is sort of like those ads you see in "flying" mag or in "plane and pilot" where you see a young kid smiling happily in the right seat and on top are the words, 0time to Jet time in 6 months!
Kids go to ERAU or whatever, put in their time there and walk into a right seat. They find out firsthand what it really means to work for 18K a year and fly 7 legs a day, day after day, and to pound it out month after month.

They bitch and moan and contribute to a conversation as if they have been around for a decade then get "bored" with the right seat of an RJ once they find out that upgrade isnt 2 months away....then look for........a B747 job!
hey how about that? We'll hire you, because you'll have $$ signs in your eyes, have a raging hard on for singapore, hong kong, and hawaii layovers and would love to be based in STN or ANC or NRT! then they get there, get beat the hell up and before long they bitch and moan, totally forgetting the fact that less than 2-3 years ago they were learning what pitch and airspeed meant!

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying young guys suck, they dont. they just get suckered in with images of prestige, respect and high pay....get there and then forget just how lucky they are to even be in a cockpit considering the obstacles ......and just simple dont know any better and want to fly a B747 at any cost!!!!......like the previous poster just said.

Yeap, makes it hard to raise the bar or eliminate bs like a stn base when guys are more than eager to go......sigh.....as long as these 0 time to B747 in not time ads are alive and well.....our battles are just that much harder......oh well...

That about sums it up! :uzi: STN

That about sums it up! :uzi: STN

Don't you think the rehtoric is a bit high here? I mean really! No one at Atlas should blame a newhire for the POS LOA and contract that allowed for the STN base in the first place. Many were told that the STN base was temporary and that a return to the states was a year away!

No my friends it was the veteran atlas guys that were around to provide an up or down vote on this contract. I don't see a need to lambast them for that, but come on don't you think you should place the responsibility at the correct feet?!

For those considering coming to Atlas do so with the clear understanding that there is/has been/will be NO growth! Oh there are new A/C in the pipeline, but they will be AT BEST one for one replacement of the 200's. If age 65 gets passed this year, the slow trickle that is upgrade will become nonexsistant. Everything people have said about the schedule and TOS is true, but it can be an enjoyable place to work for a time. Just make sure your eyes are open!

Use THEM for once. Take a LOA from your current employer, get a 400 rating and a pleather jacket and go back to your previous employer after sending a THK U note to JC :beer:

Cheerios

As per the other chaps, that is where you're going to get based but you will be under the ALPA contract Terms and Conditions not the AACS one (or now known as AABO). Don't believe them if they say you will only be there a short time when interviewed. Hey, that may work for you though.

Here is the Atlas ALPA contract (CBA) IN PDF FORMAT. I didn't attach all of the recent LOA's that go with it. Just the more recent one's on STN. Those are at the end of the file.

The STN base was originally a union busting operation that grew to almost 200 non-union pilots while furloughing the same or more ALPA members on the US side and it was also an attempt to side step the wet leasing laws in the UK. The UK CAA didn't go for the latter and then Atlas created GSS and gave 51 percent stock to a EU citizen. Atlas still leases everything that GSS uses to them to this day. So Atlas got around that also.

AACS (or now known as AABO guys with employee numbers 9XXX and about 10 other Atlas crossovers) continues as a piece of leverage for management against ALPA labor. It is still a very sore spot at the moment with the Atlas crews and I doubt AABO will last through the Atlas/Polar merger that is currently ongoing. At least in it's current form. I don't expect them to get canned, but they won't be enjoying their current rewards for their past actions.

As leverage, the company is constantly doing base realignments and displacing our ALPA guys from their US bases to STN to avoid giving them gateway rights. Many of the STN crew members end up doing US based flying in the end anyway because of these displacements for negotiations instead of base needs. That's the leverage thing that is going on at the moment. The remaining AABO crewmembers is about 60 to 70 guys. They get a lot of the priority in upgrades, super seniority in the STN base and pay for their service to be our replacements. They were "replacements" because they hired at least one AACS guy for every furloughed ALPA guy during their ramping up.

Last edited:
If the STN issue were to be resolved at some point then would Atlas be a company worth applying to and considering it as a place spending an entire career?

Atlas Is Hiring - STN (Beware)

If the STN issue were to be resolved at some point then would Atlas be a company worth applying to and considering it as a place spending an entire career?

If STN were to go away, then YES, Atlas would be a place to consider spending your career. I have no intentions of going anywhere else, been here almost 9 years, but for the new hires it's a sh***y deal! The company is doing great financially (see links below), and the pofit sharing checks have not been too shabby either!

http://www.smartmoney.com/print/index.cfm?printcontent=/cover/index.cfm?story=may2007

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=253245521

Latest resources

Back