Ata

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
balls deep340 said:
Any word on delivery dates for these 717s?
OK. We need to get our collective feces consolidated here.

There is no deal for a new aircraft type at ATA. None. Not even sorta-maybe.

Do I have everybody's attention now?

One of the reasons that the company's allegedly-necessary concession package requested of the pilot group is being met with such vitriolic scorn is that there is
no existing deal for new aircraft. Ergo, no increase in fleet size, no rapid increase in upgrades, and no aggregate increase in ATA pilots farting through silk. Just a two year pay freeze... worth $6M the first year, $22M the second and third years to the company. Not really big bucks in the grand scheme of things. So...

Could ATA management just be playing Boeing, Airbus, and Embraer off one another to get the best deal?

Maybe.

Could Boeing (who, by all accounts brought a sweetheart 717 deal to ATA management on a silver platter) have gotten tired of waiting to be asked to dance, and simply yanked the whole thing?

Maybe.

Could this 717 deal simply be a ruse in order to get the pilot group to, once again, fund management's inept running of the airline?

Maybe.

Could monkeys fly out of my butt?

You get the picture.

I'm sure that within several hours of the announcement of a concrete deal for new aircraft the news will be posted (repeatedly, and repetitively) here on the forum. Until then it is a waiting game. I plan to drink beer while I wait, you folks can do what you want.

As my colleague NJCapt states:

There is no official deal for a new aircraft. But there have been discussions, presentations, and negotiations for a 100-seat payrate. The company has said it needs 100 seaters to compete and expand.

Unfortunately many pilots have intertwined (sp?) the talks for concessions with the discussion on a new fleet type.

Just as Bush and Co. have mentioned the words terrorist, 9/11, and Iraq enough times in the same sentence that the majority of Americans believe that Iraq had something to do with 9/11....

...the company has uttered "concessions" and "new airplane" in the same breath that most pilots here believe it will take giving in to concessions to obtain the new aircraft type.

Pretty smart on the company's part to create a relationship between the two.

Unfortunately, most here don't make the distinction between the two issues. They feel if they vote down the concessions that the company will then be unable to purchase the new fleet type and ergo be unable to compete in the LCC marketplace. Which if you take to it's furthest misguided conclusion, that would mean the demise of ATA.

So this new concession agreement will pass with a majority. And ATA will get the new airplanes. And the pilots here will once again feel like they "saved" the company in it's time of need.

I know that there is no done deal, but a few weeks back your MEC announcement slipped and instead of saying "100 seat aircraft" like he had been for several weeks, used the phrase "717" twice in the same announcement. I agree that the company is probably playing all three, and I hope they are because I would, to get the best deal, but my guess is that the company would like to have more Boeings.

ATA73PILOT--I agree with you on this one, how did the company tie both of these issues together? I have thought since day one that the concessions should be one issue and a 100 seat pay rate another. And if njcapt numbers are right, $6M first year and $22M the next, that isn't a drop in the bucket in relation to acquiring more aircraft.

balls deep340 said:
Just simmer down now. Siimmmmmmmmmmmer down.

Any word on possible # of 717 the company is shooting for?
I'm totally chillin'. However, you can't believe the conjecture that is going on at the ATA pilots' web site. A large number of guys have already spent their first Captain paycheck from an aircraft that is not only not on the property, but without even a handshake agreement for their acquisition.

I don't know where I stand on the concessions (and I plan on reserving judgement until the union gets the opportunity to sell me on the deal when the roadshows start in a week or so), but I'm sure not taking the bait of alleged new aircraft just to get stung by the barbed hook of a two year pay freeze.

I'm on my fifth airline, and my main career goal is to willingly retire from the one I'm at now. Whether this concession LOA will have any effect on my goal remains to be seen.

This just in.....

A rumor going around says the 737 guys will not snap back to 2002 contract rates in 2007, instead getting $6-7 an hour less. This while 757 and L1011 guys get more in the snap back. 737 crews financing 757/L1011 raises ?? This will seriously hamper the ability of the Union to get this agreement to pass.

Can't wait to read it all.

Really........

ATA73Pilot said:
So this new concession agreement will pass with a majority. And ATA will get the new airplanes. And the pilots here will once again feel like they "saved" the company in it's time of need.
Let me know where you bought that crystal ball, I need a new one. I really hope that you meant that tongue and cheek, if not, get a life.

I would probably wait and read it before making a statement like that. Read carefully, it may not be all it is cracked up to be.......

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back