Ata

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dart

Any news on talks? Haven't been around for awhile. How are all the poolies doing? Has anyone droped out.

I heard from a friend at ATA that talks are ongoing but pretty tight lipped. I ran into another friend at ATA that said the 717 is a done deal and they are just waiting on the contractual issues. I also know of one of the poolies that I interviewed with that got a job at Airtran. Maybe a few more have also left, who knows. I beleve there are 22 left in the pool from info that I have.

Just waiting for the call. Can't wait to get over there!

same here!! I am looking foward to start..my friends really love it at ata...waiting for the phone to ring:).....maybe soon!!

When/If ATA gets the 717's ordered would that mean an increased hiring rate?

If so any guesses as to numbers and domiciles?

Jobear

The word on the street is that the 717's are a done deal and to expect them by the new year. This is attributed to a couple individuals in various mid-level management positions - you know how that goes - "my buddy was talking to his buddy, etc.".

The company has stated that the deal would involve 60 - 70 airframes.

New Hubs: Anybodies guess is as good as mine. Charlotte is being thrown around as are a couple places in Florida. San Francisco was a popular rumor but looks less likely with the arrival of Virgin USA.

Contract Concessions: Ongoing. They are close to inking a deal for the membership to vote on. According to Union leadership, we had agreed on a concession package with the exception of payrates for the 717 in later years. At that point the company balked and walked away from the table (negotiating ploy if you ask me). They have sinced resumed talks and we are told to expect something soon.

Considering the first two years of this contract were concessionary, the idea of continuing in that vein for another two years minimum is an unpleasant thought.

They are trying to get a package in the hands of the membership to vote on prior to Jul 01, when the next paystep occurs (which coincidentally is the "BIG" one that finally boosts ATA into the "industry standard" catagory).

Regardless of the arrival of 717's.

ATA has lost any chance they once possessed of being a recognized competitive force along the lines of Jet Blue, or SWA.

Between our financial condition and lack of public awareness (especially in "our" cities), we are destined to be a niche player at best. With the arrival of Virgin USA (and their already ingrained public awareness), SWA, Jet Blue and Air Tran's expansion, ATA will be unable to maintain a critical mass when they are faced with direct competition.

We have already shown that along with the second lowest CASM in the biz, we cannot generate enough revenue to sustain profit while those around us are.

It seems that ATA's biz plan consists of waiting it out until the "good times" return.

The company has exceeded the talents of it's current management. We need a visionary leader to come in and unite the team in a common goal. We lack any type of unifying vision. It's time for a Bethune, a Kelleher, or a Neelman if ATA has any chance of succeeding 5 years from now.

Just my humble opinion.

What He/She said......

with a few additions:

Straight from "The Big Kahuna's" mouth (During a Capt Upgrade school).

Intl Gateway = Boston

New Hub = Charlotte

Florida Focus City = Would not tell, but thought to be Jacksonville

Contract Concessions: Yes, almost done. Take it for what is it worth, but it is/will be nothing more than a union busing, contract grab by the company. That is all I will say for now, but it will be BAD (for the working folks). Hopefully the pilot group has the insight to see this and send a strong message by voting NO!

The cities could change, but trust me on the contract thing, I was right about the ongoing talks was I not?

When would proposed CLT hub become operational?

Any idea when this proposed hub in CLT would become operational? Would you need to wait for 717 aircraft to arrive or would you use existing aircraft? Can't help USAirways' prospects if it is still around - SWA invading PHL and ATA invading CLT. I suppose if ATA entered CLT after USAirways tanked, there would be plenty of cheap gates, staff and ground equipment in CLT.

From tz800ca:

The cities could change, but trust me on the contract thing, I was right about the ongoing talks was I not?
user_offline.gif

I talked to an IND mgmnt type yesterday and he said the same thing on the cities that you have. Take that for what it's worth.

On Your Six said:
Any idea when this proposed hub in CLT would become operational? Would you need to wait for 717 aircraft to arrive or would you use existing aircraft? Can't help USAirways' prospects if it is still around - SWA invading PHL and ATA invading CLT. I suppose if ATA entered CLT after USAirways tanked, there would be plenty of cheap gates, staff and ground equipment in CLT.

Knowing ATA, your guess is as good as mine. All of their business plans/models are ALWAYS written in pencil. If it does eventually come to fruition, it WILL be a senior base unless it is all 717s.

Last edited:
that is great news for boeing!

I read that boeing was about to stop making 717, since they felt they lost market for other similar size airplanes on market.

Hopefully if ATA buy some helps them also!

Latest resources

Back