• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA PBS Passes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The bid results are scheduled to come out around the 10th of the month. Its usually within a day of the 10th. It is very rarely changed after it was published unless something major got screwed up. I know its happened a few times but I can't remember the last time that has happened in the last 5 years. They always close at 0700 CT and are usually posted within a couple of hours afterwords.

Oh no! We are not going to be cost competitive now! Your lack of efficiency is going to bring this company down now that everyone can do that with this new PBS!!!

The other side of the coin is the senior FO who is going to have to wait longer for his 40% pay raise because now the captains are that much more efficient that they don't need as many reserves.

Regarding your last paragraph, this is exactly why I voted no for PBS. I lot more people should have upgraded a long time ago. ASA is pushing the staffing model to the limits under PBS.

I'd be curious to see how much money we've lost on incompletion versus saved in understaffing. :rolleyes:

The upgrade argument doesn't really hold water. Things are stagnant, less a few random batches, until age 65 clears the backlog of geezers. When things break loose, it will break loose in a HUGE way, and that's when the upgrades will start happening in notable quantities. Until then, we're just stuck in our seats, PBS or no PBS. The "10-15% longer" will equate to a few months, at that point.

How many are you upgrading now? 36? I'm sure there would have been more if it wasn't for PBS. But why marry yourself to some optimistic future? Isn't that what pilots always do? Give something up now for something in the future? Only for a gulf war, 9/11, Iraq, SARS, recession, high oil prices, Libya, etc etc to happen and none of it to pan out! And even if it amounts to 3-4 months, that is that much longer to get qualifications to go to a mainline and that much longer to get a seniority number and therefor that much more likely to get furloughed/downgraded when the next crisis hits. Or what about when things slow down again and the upgrades are only trickling again? Even your optimistic future pans out, it won't always be full steam ahead, 3-4 months difference!

How many are you upgrading now? 36? I'm sure there would have been more if it wasn't for PBS. But why marry yourself to some optimistic future? Isn't that what pilots always do? Give something up now for something in the future? Only for a gulf war, 9/11, Iraq, SARS, recession, high oil prices, Libya, etc etc to happen and none of it to pan out! And even if it amounts to 3-4 months, that is that much longer to get qualifications to go to a mainline and that much longer to get a seniority number and therefor that much more likely to get furloughed/downgraded when the next crisis hits. Or what about when things slow down again and the upgrades are only trickling again? Even your optimistic future pans out, it won't always be full steam ahead, 3-4 months difference!

Nevets- I'm already a Captain, so my "future" is now. I do appreciate the concern though. Just seems like you are pretty set on the pessimistic side of things, and no amount of factual information is going to point you to informed logic. There will be a huge amount of retirements and attrition, no matter how you approach the future.

It would have been nice if you were this bold BEFORE the merger went full speed ahead. There was ample time to back out by forcing the three way merge. It wasn't taken. Why the change in tune?

I have no qualms with PBS. The system works fine for myself, and many others. However, it's the trip construction I have issues with. PBS or no PBS will not fix this particular issue. Trip rigs, and other contractual agreements will.

PBS is a better way to bid, but the company holds a better hand when building trips. Take that away from them and I am on board. You guys are too happy with this junk. Got off reserve? Happy for you, but they are doing some shaddy things at both alpa and the company, just keep your eyes open. I could have sworn hearing once we voted in PBS we were going to grow like kudzu. How's that going?

There will be no growth at ASA, now or possibly ever! The demise of the 50 in coming years will be matched with the coming pilot shortage/hiring requirements to "right size" all regionals. Expect more 2 for 1 trades or simply retiring aircraft as staffing dictates, rather than increasing staffing. This is also the reason XJT was acquired and probably another airline in the future. Mark my words. ASA/XJT will not have 4000+ pilots and 400 50 seaters in the next 3-5 years. More like half of that or less.

Mark my words. ASA/XJT will not have 4000+ pilots and 400 50 seaters in the next 3-5 years. More like half of that or less.

Fun! It used to be that you could work at a regional and then look forward to years on reserve at a major...now it's just perma-reserve at ASA.

There will be no growth at ASA, now or possibly ever! The demise of the 50 in coming years will be matched with the coming pilot shortage/hiring requirements to "right size" all regionals. Expect more 2 for 1 trades or simply retiring aircraft as staffing dictates, rather than increasing staffing. This is also the reason XJT was acquired and probably another airline in the future. Mark my words. ASA/XJT will not have 4000+ pilots and 400 50 seaters in the next 3-5 years. More like half of that or less.
Good post. If they come again at us with "we need to be cheaper", we need to get one list with skywest. That will make us cheaper while protecting pilots on all sides. We said we would visit pbs last contract, now we have it, so lets visit one list with skywest.

Latest resources

Back