• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So Rez if someone wears a hat they will get paid more money?? Yeah right pilots have been wearing the hat through every paycut that has happened the last 5 years. The hat sure didn't save them then. How is a silly thing such as a hat going to make any difference at the barganing table? I have never had a passenger walk off of a flight I was working because no one was wearing a hat. I have never seen any direct correlation between a hat and a pay raise.

Not having a hat is one less thing for chief pilots to have to police. It is also one less thing to have to worry about getting in trouble over. You guys seem to forget change is a natural part of society. The hat going away is one of the positive changes.

Actually, the hat is mandated by your uniform requirments that are now in the FOM, Section12. It's the rule. What other rules do you not like? I have quite a few that I don't like, but my company provides my paycheck and I knew complying with their rules was something I had to do when I took my job. Where do YOU draw the line in your non-conformance? I think doing revisions in this day and time are stupid, but it is my job! Do you think Johnny Damon would have been on the Yankees very long had he not worn his hat? If you don't want to conform to the rules, start your own airline or go to one that does not require it so that "your world" fits in their world! When you were interviewed, did you tell them that you would only accept the job, if you could disobey the rules that you didn't like? Drop the X attitude and play ball, or face the consequences!

The FOM was just updated. It looks like your Chief Pilots are about to start enforcing the hat rule. When you fail to comply, it will be considered insubordination, and no Union can defend you on that charge.

The hat is part of the uniform and more proffessional. End of story. Without the hat we look like a flight attendant or a flight instructor.

You can make direct comparisons in ATL. Watch an ASA crew walk by: one guy in a WWII leather bomber jacket, one with a blazer flopping open. One wearing a hat, one without (doesn't matter which). Then watch as a similar Delta crew walks by, both uniforms worn right, buttoned up, with both hats on. The difference is remarkable.

I think DAL has gone optional. Either that or there are a lot of rule breakers there too.

I could go either way with the hats, but there should be a standard. that is the definition of a UNIform.

Gents-

The clothes we wear are not what makes us professionals; instead, it is our attitudes. Playing dress-up doesn't do much to a person with an unprofessional attitude.

Gents-

The clothes we wear are not what makes us professionals; instead, it is our attitudes. Playing dress-up doesn't do much to a person with an unprofessional attitude.

now that post is dead on right there!!!

And the W@lmartization of the airline career continues. Nothing looks better than a fat sloppy pilot walking around the terminal with a quarter pounder in one hand, extra large soda in the other and a big mayo stain on his pants. All that without the hat. Priceless!

Is he considered to be "professional" looking though if he does wear the hat? That's the arguement that many seem to be supporting by saying we should wear a hat with our uniform in order to be "professional." To me, a fat out of shape pilot looks far more unprofessional that someone who isn't wearing a hat. There is far more to looking like a professional than wearing a hat. Take care of your physical appearance first and have a positive attitude, then worry about hats.

Gents-

I would agree with the first sentence. I would also agree with the second.

Being professional is actually the total package: acting the part, looking the part, and accepting the fact that you also represent your peers, profession, and company! Unfortunately, individualism is not compatible with the standard. Wearing the uniform correctly, as prescribed by your company policy, is an element of the discipline part of being a professional.

The hat is part of the uniform and more proffessional. End of story. Without the hat we look like a flight attendant or a flight instructor.

You can make direct comparisons in ATL. Watch an ASA crew walk by: one guy in a WWII leather bomber jacket, one with a blazer flopping open. One wearing a hat, one without (doesn't matter which). Then watch as a similar Delta crew walks by, both uniforms worn right, buttoned up, with both hats on. The difference is remarkable.

You're right, the difference is remarkable. The Delta crew members can afford nice uniforms, cleaning bills, mortgage payments, and to put their kids through college.

Latest resources

Back