• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and while I'm on the subject leather flight jackets don't look professional either.

But they are more practical and warmer than the "dress coat". And you can remove all the insignia on overnights before hitting the bars!

VOTED IN FAVOR!

This debate could go on forever w/ personal opinions on to wear or not to wear the hat and jacket. Unfortunantly, if you work at ASA the FOM says the while in public you must wear it and so I shall. If you don't want to wear a hat then go to a company that doesn't require it like XJT or LUV. IMHO, I don't like the hat and prefer the leather jacket.

To look professional doesn't require a hat nor jacket as I have seen numerous pilots from the previously mentioned airlines that present themselves very well. However, when I was hired at ASA I agreed to follow the terms in the FOM and I shall.

Nice! I guess if the FOM says to hop on one leg on your way from the gate to the airplane, you would do it? Give me a break! If you don't want to wear the hat, don't wear it. The FOM also says to wear your dress jacket underneath your raincoat, but no one does it. Make some decisions for yourself. Our POH and FOM would be a quarter of the size if people had some common sense are here.

Can anyone effectively argue that the hat is counter productive during picketing? If it is good enough for picketing then why not for everyday? Anyone?

Actually, the picketers didn't wear hats at the event in SGU.

Actually the FedEx guys did. And the UAL guys and the NWA guys and the Mesaba guys and the USAIR guys and CAL guys and AMR guys and XJT guys and the DAL guys and the PCL guys.....

Anyone want to debate the hat at a picketing event or are rare events the best you got?

And they can afford those things because for three-quarters of a century they have acted and looked like professionals instead of a bunch of spoiled little brats in leather jackets, no hats, spiked hair, iPod earbuds, and a #$%*ing backpack. Professional air line pilots wear hats. If you don't like it, become a flight attendant.
wow! I wonder how the Southwest pilots manage to move all those planes and people without being professionals.

wow! I wonder how the Southwest pilots manage to move all those planes and people without being professionals.

SWA pilots are professional. In a recent commerical the company shows a SWA pilot with hat!

Does anyone... I mean anyone.... have a professional debate against the hat?

SWA pilots are professional. In a recent commerical the company shows a SWA pilot with hat!

Does anyone... I mean anyone.... have a professional debate against the hat?

How about, "It's not necessary". 40 years ago a gentleman wouldn't be caught dead in a suit without a Fedora on his head, but times have changed. Perhaps it's time for a change at the airlines as well. SWA... hat optional. NWA... hat optional. SKW... hat optional. All these groups seem pretty professional to me, and I don't see passengers cowering in fear at the gate after watching their pilots board the airplane sans hat.

Why do you like the hat so much? Does it make you feel like more of a professional? As I said before, a professional is defined by his actions. A weak man uses props to pump up his self image.

As has been said, as long as the FOM says "wear the hat", I'll wear the hat. After all, I signed on knowing the hat was part of the uniform. However, if the day comes where the hat is optional, it will never leave my shelf again. Why? Because I don't feel the need to rely on a prop to make myself look and feel like a professional.

Latest resources

Back