ASA hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gents-

The clothes we wear are not what makes us professionals; instead, it is our attitudes. Playing dress-up doesn't do much to a person with an unprofessional attitude.

A big part of this is the perception that we give our pax/customers. This is why the FOM states that we wear our full uniform correctly while in public view. If you are a pax and see a slob of a capt walking to your a/c would that give you a warm and fuzzy?

While in public view, you must both look and act the part of professional airmen. Once the cockpit door closes you can loosen the tie and play the part as well.

Fly Safe...
:cool:

I never wear the stupid hat, but I do look professional with my uniform dry cleaned and a clean hair cut. If hats are the definitive description for a professional, then why aren't lawyers, doctors, politicians, chief pilots or CEO's wearing them?

I never wear the stupid hat, but I do look professional with my uniform dry cleaned and a clean hair cut. If hats are the definitive description for a professional, then why aren't lawyers, doctors, politicians, chief pilots or CEO's wearing them?

I dont completley disagree with you but to an extent i think we wear them because of the "responsability" we have with passengers onboard and the direct intimate proximity to passengers in the terminal.....there are alot more people with flying phobias then with the others you mentioned....i think it puts the general public a but more at ease....with that being said....its uncomfortable and i look like a giant wiener in it....

now that post is dead on right there!!!

Nope... you are still not willing to get it....

Instead of trying to make the situation fit your thinking, why not adjust your thinking to fit the situation.

Appearance and attitude are interconnected. The pax don't get to observe you on the flight deck and don't get to examine your flying records. So even though you failed a couple of checkrides you get the assumption of the public that you haven't... at least if you act and dress like a professional.

You're right, the difference is remarkable. The Delta crew members can afford nice uniforms, cleaning bills, mortgage payments, and to put their kids through college.

And they can afford those things because for three-quarters of a century they have acted and looked like professionals instead of a bunch of spoiled little brats in leather jackets, no hats, spiked hair, iPod earbuds, and a #$%*ing backpack. Professional air line pilots wear hats. If you don't like it, become a flight attendant.

I think ties are the STUPIDEST clothing accessory of ALL time. However, most of the world recognizes that a well put together suit WITH a tie presents a professional image. You could argue "but I DON'T WANT to wear a tie, it's stupid", but you will not be viewed as a professional.

I don't like the hat either, but I think it conveys the sense of professionalism that the public wants to see in the people responsible for their lives.

You took the job knowing about the hat.........DEAL with it

And they can afford those things because for three-quarters of a century they have acted and looked like professionals instead of a bunch of spoiled little brats in leather jackets, no hats, spiked hair, iPod earbuds, and a #$%*ing backpack. Professional air line pilots wear hats. If you don't like it, become a flight attendant.

Actually the FOM says I no longer have to wear the hat so I still have the right to not wear it and be a pilot. you know the neighborhood kids are getting bored maybe they can use it for a game of ultimate frisbee. Sorry to say but times change. Pan Am was a great airline for 1/2 of a century roughly then they died. Just because the hat has been worn 75+ years doesn't mean it will last forever. Are you saying the ones who choose not to wear the hat when not required are not professional? I thought all airline pilots were professionals. Is it only the ones that chose to play dress-up?

If we're hanging our hats (so to speak) on what we wear in order to be respected, there are bigger problems than headgear to consider.

We don't litigate (well, most of us), perform brain surgery, work in the Senate and solicit pages, come to work half the time, or run companies with billion dollar budgets. Most of the ones mentioned don't have FOM, sec 12, except for the ones who hold a position, but do not lead by example!

Gents-

The clothes we wear are not what makes us professionals; instead, it is our attitudes. Playing dress-up doesn't do much to a person with an unprofessional attitude.

How you dress and carry yourself says more about how one thinks of themselves. If you can't take pride in your appearance, are you actually taking pride in how you conduct yourself in the airplane?

Sorry but after spending a few years in the military, the sharp guys always demonstrated a correlation between their uniforms and how they did their jobs.

So I guess you're right. It's not the clothes, it's how you wear them.

Latest resources

Back