• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can you post the source for this info, must have missed it in the SH e-mails that I deleted. If it is true, it is most likely to appease the pilot corp as many of us don't even own a hat much less like to wear them especially in the summer heat.

It was bad enough when the leather jackets became optional. Yes, they are sharp looking jackets, but they don't look professional on an aiarline pilot. Now we do away with the hats. What's next? Ask to fly in sweats?

Ooouhh... I can smell the winter threads 'come back' about how bad the leather jackets looks like.... I can smell it already...

Too bad... i already ordered mine, and I choose the marroon one with the red and white strips... delicious!

It was bad enough when the leather jackets became optional. Yes, they are sharp looking jackets, but they don't look professional on an aiarline pilot. Now we do away with the hats. What's next? Ask to fly in sweats?

Duuudddddeee!!!

Like that hat looks professional!!!!???

And that cheap POS single breast jacket we wear is goooooood looki'n???

Quit smokin it you ******************************!!

Our level of service would be well represented by sport shirts and dockers!!!!

So Rez if someone wears a hat they will get paid more money?? Yeah right pilots have been wearing the hat through every paycut that has happened the last 5 years. The hat sure didn't save them then. How is a silly thing such as a hat going to make any difference at the barganing table? I have never had a passenger walk off of a flight I was working because no one was wearing a hat. I have never seen any direct correlation between a hat and a pay raise.

Not having a hat is one less thing for chief pilots to have to police. It is also one less thing to have to worry about getting in trouble over. You guys seem to forget change is a natural part of society. The hat going away is one of the positive changes.

It is all about lowering expectations.

I have flown with FO's that never owned a hat. When they made Captain they never took the hat off. I asked one of the new captains if he wore the hat when he was making love to his wife and he said "Yes and my girlfriend too".

I have no position on the wearing of hats. If the company wants to make them optional that should work for everyone. Make sure we keep bitching about it in the crew lounge so that the CP's will tell SH that we are not happy with the decision.

Next, I vote we start wearing the Mesa windbreakers and backpacks.

Dr.s wear pajamas/ lab coat and no one seems to think less of them. As for me who cares. Lose it in the summer. Use it in the winter, it may just keep your head warm.

As I said. It is next to impossible to argue against the hat from a professional point of view...

So Rez if someone wears a hat they will get paid more money?? Yeah right pilots have been wearing the hat through every paycut that has happened the last 5 years. The hat sure didn't save them then. How is a silly thing such as a hat going to make any difference at the barganing table? I have never had a passenger walk off of a flight I was working because no one was wearing a hat. I have never seen any direct correlation between a hat and a pay raise.

So if you don't wear the uniform at all will your image suffer? Where does one draw the line. Now that hats are gone, whats next? Stripes? Ties? What is concerning is if the company issued a memo that said ties were optional, pilots would jump all over that...

So what does that say? Who is holding the line on professional appearance? Do you need the company to do it for you? When do pilots take an intrest in their own image? Do they have to be dressed by the company? Should the CP come to your house and lay your uniform out for you so its ready in the morning?

Hat a silly thing? Why?, cause you say so? What I want to know is what the passengers think. Sure the FI wunderkind will tell you that pax only care about price, but really where is that guy getting that info? From the crewroom? From this message board?

Saying the pax only care about price is just a pathetic way of justifying poor self centered attitudes and behavior. It is for the weak.

Again, whenever any organization wants to market the image of a pilot, he is wearing hat. One of the latest SWA commercials has a SWA pilot wearing a hat.

Not having a hat is one less thing for chief pilots to have to police. It is also one less thing to have to worry about getting in trouble over. You guys seem to forget change is a natural part of society. The hat going away is one of the positive changes.

I don't worry about getting in trouble at work. Professionals don't need to be policed. If you don't understand the rules and don't have the ability to follow them, getting rid of the hat isn't going to help.

So instead of depending on your company to mold and craft your image why don't you do it Why take some responsibility for yourself.

Finally, you failed to argue the point of air line pilots wearing hats at picketing events. Why is it when pilots want more pay and better work rules they picket in the hat. Can you debate that?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back