• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And the W@lmartization of the airline career continues. Nothing looks better than a fat sloppy pilot walking around the terminal with a quarter pounder in one hand, extra large soda in the other and a big mayo stain on his pants. All that without the hat. Priceless!

What he said

Someone better tell those non hat wearing Southwest pilots that their contract sucks and they look unprofessional.
And they don't even wear those nifty polyester maitre'd jackets either.
The hat like many things in this profession is a carry-over from the Air Force. If the Air Force didn't wear hats we never would have either.

and if it is a carry over from the air force, then why does everyone wear the hat inside? all military branches remove their hats/cover upon entering a building...

I don't think it's carry over from the Air Force. I'm pretty sure all of our titles and uniforms comes from maritime tradition. Just watch the Love Boat.

I don't think it's carry over from the Air Force. I'm pretty sure all of our titles and uniforms comes from maritime tradition. Just watch the Love Boat.

Did you see how fat Julie the cruise director got towards the end of that series?

She kinda reminded me of a Delta FA.

And she never wore her hat.

Actually, the pilot uniform including the hat was started by Pan Am years back when they were using the flying boats to copy a nautical theme uniform just like you see on cruise ships.

And the W@lmartization of the airline career continues. Nothing looks better than a fat sloppy pilot walking around the terminal with a quarter pounder in one hand, extra large soda in the other and a big mayo stain on his pants. All that without the hat. Priceless!

It was bad enough when the leather jackets became optional. Yes, they are sharp looking jackets, but they don't look professional on an aiarline pilot. Now we do away with the hats. What's next? Ask to fly in sweats?

Latest resources

Back