• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA future with Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know what kind of fantasy world people are living in. Skywest won't unionize, they won't combine any list. ASA will just get smaller (how many bases do we have now?) until there is nothing left. Skywest has a history of doing this to other carriers, it was just on a smaller scale... The writing is on the wall, no one should be shocked. Even if Skywest unionized that wouldn't create a single list. ASA will eventually go away, the non unionized rock stars at Skywest will upgrade to RJ captain (living the dream) but that'll be their final upgrade with all of the outsourcing etc. Like it or not, that's the reality of the situation.

Whew, glad that's out. Oh, too bad our little Contract thingy we negotiated a few years ago prevents any type of significant transfer of aircraft. Everyone is downsizing right now. Hey, maybe you haven't heard, but we are teetering on the edge of a Depression. Part II, the sequel. Except this time the whole World gets to join in on the fun. Sorry to let you down about your quick upgrade aspirations.

Good luck with that United flying there. Hopefully, for your sake, Obama won't let them go out of business. Could be really ugly for you. Take care, glad I work in one of the safer havens in the Industry...Atlanta. If I was a betting man about SLC or ATL going bye bye...You're never gonna guess which one I'd bet on.... What is it SkyWest is operating for the United side now, 1200 flights daily? That's a lot of lost money in your pocket.....

Trojan

I actually work for ASA, we flew together in Salt Lake. I was present when they were transferring airplanes, just like you were. It should be pretty clear who the priority is and it's not ASA. We were bought and now we're second to Skywest. I have no reason not to call it like it is.. I know you put a few good years into ASA & so did I but the fact of the matter is that we're screwed. The eventual disappearnce of ASA might take a decade but make no mistake it is happening (look at the size difference between the carriers) and will continue to happen regardless of what the economy is doing. One note on ALPA, it's only as strong as our pilot group & we were in contract talks for years... We are not a strong pilot group. There aren't many left. Maybe AA & UPS but that's it. Unless we are that militant we'll never get anywhere. Face the music dude we're screwed it just might take a while....

ASA will just get smaller (how many bases do we have now?) until there is nothing left. Skywest has a history of doing this to other carriers, it was just on a smaller scale.

What HISTORY are you talking about?

I actually work for ASA, we flew together in Salt Lake. I was present when they were transferring airplanes, just like you were. It should be pretty clear who the priority is and it's not ASA. We were bought and now we're second to Skywest. I have no reason not to call it like it is.. I know you put a few good years into ASA & so did I but the fact of the matter is that we're screwed. The eventual disappearnce of ASA might take a decade but make no mistake it is happening (look at the size difference between the carriers) and will continue to happen regardless of what the economy is doing. One note on ALPA, it's only as strong as our pilot group & we were in contract talks for years... We are not a strong pilot group. There aren't many left. Maybe AA & UPS but that's it. Unless we are that militant we'll never get anywhere. Face the music dude we're screwed it just might take a while....

Let me get this straight....SkyWest bought ASA for $425 Million, has made its money back ALREADY and then some, but we're "screwed." RIGHT NOW THE WORLD IS ON THE EDGE OF A DEPRESSION. We are riding out a nasty storm. Militant gets you as far as Comair. I don't think that's the right play in this day and age. The best you can do is get people from A to B safely, on time, and hopefully with a smile. Doom and gloomers are all over the place and they haven't been right yet. But keep on keepin' on. I don't think or believe as you do. We are going through something right now we have never seen the likes before. Things will eventually turn around.

Trojan

Let me get this straight....SkyWest bought ASA for $425 Million, has made its money back ALREADY and then some, but we're "screwed." RIGHT NOW THE WORLD IS ON THE EDGE OF A DEPRESSION. We are riding out a nasty storm. Militant gets you as far as Comair. I don't think that's the right play in this day and age. The best you can do is get people from A to B safely, on time, and hopefully with a smile. Doom and gloomers are all over the place and they haven't been right yet. But keep on keepin' on. I don't think or believe as you do. We are going through something right now we have never seen the likes before. Things will eventually turn around.

Trojan

Trojan,
Could not agree with you more. The militant part had me blinking my eyes when it first was put out there. When you have a company that actively seeks to make the employee group happy (PERF PLUS checks even though we missed the numbers), that last thing we need to do is GET MILITANT! We have enough of those guys as it is and they are miserable to be around.

Also, had your side won, there would have been much more furloughs because you never would have negotiated a no furlough clause.

Dang! You hit the nail on the head![/QUOTE]

Only if you neglect to consider that had his side won, our total labor costs would be lower...resulting in the need for fewer furloughs.

Dang! You hit the nail on the head!

Only if you neglect to consider that had his side won, our total labor costs would be lower...resulting in the need for fewer furloughs.

You know if we paid $5.00/hr we could keep labor costs even lower and have all the shiny 900s we want!!

Well, is ASA the first carrier that Skywest has purchased? Was there any seniority integration? I'll give you a hint if you really need one.

Ok I'll bite. How many carriers has Skywest bought, and what was the result of the integratio, if any?

Latest resources

Back