• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA future with Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, who else on the ASA list would vote to leave ALPA to join the skywest pilot ass'n in pursuit of one seniority list. Since union membership would prohibit list integration...and they have no interest in joining ALPA...that's about what our choice is.

I'd take combined lists/certificates/merger over ALPA membership in a heartbeat.

And you have been at ASA for how long?

How so? I know DALPA is going after the idea of any future DCI flying being done by APLA guys only. However, I'd believe I'd be party to turning in my ALPA card for a SW number to get one list if I retained my date of hire. The benefits of ALPA seem to be diminishing by the day. Inc. has shown that they will take care of their people if their people take care of them.

If DALPA did secure that provision, the pilot group could secure always secure representation.

Are we talking about one of our own? Could it be one of the MEC members?

Last edited:
So, who else on the ASA list would vote to leave ALPA to join the skywest pilot ass'n in pursuit of one seniority list. Since union membership would prohibit list integration...and they have no interest in joining ALPA...that's about what our choice is.

I'd take combined lists/certificates/merger over ALPA membership in a heartbeat.

Why would union membership prohibit list integration? This logic doesn't fly.

Why would union membership prohibit list integration? This logic doesn't fly.

Because the integrated list wouldn't be represented by ALPA.

The Skywest pilots have repeatedly voiced their desire not to be represented by ALPA. They wouldn't vote 'yes' to integration of the lists if it came with ALPA representation.

And without their voting 'yes', it ain't happening.

And you have been at ASA for how long?

Long enough to see that being an ALPA member doesn't keep you from getting furloughed...but being a Skywest pilot does.

As usual, the talk of a single list comes too late....We should have made that a priority back in 2000....Then we should have made that a priority with our last contract.....But instead we just want more money and better workrules...

There was a group that ran with a single list as a priority....They lost...The majority don't care about job security until it is too late...then they cry about it....

With the percentage of Skywest pilots who voted FOR the union, I would guess that the integrated list would have a majority, but as its been said. this should have been a priority 9 yrs ago.

There was a group that ran with a single list as a priority....They lost...The majority don't care about job security until it is too late...then they cry about it....

I don't remember that being your platform. Your platform was to cave on the contract, how exactly does doing that mean that SKYW would agree to one list?

Also, had your side won, there would have been much more furloughs because you never would have negotiated a no furlough clause.

Because the integrated list wouldn't be represented by ALPA.

The Skywest pilots have repeatedly voiced their desire not to be represented by ALPA. They wouldn't vote 'yes' to integration of the lists if it came with ALPA representation.

And without their voting 'yes', it ain't happening.

Long enough to see that being an ALPA member doesn't keep you from getting furloughed...but being a Skywest pilot does.

They not only voted ALPA down but they also voted an independent down. Plus, I think that most of them don't want a merger regardless.

Anyways, ALPA does not control the business model. What do you suppose they do about reduction in block hours?

Also, had your side won, there would have been much more furloughs because you never would have negotiated a no furlough clause.[/QUOTE]

Dang! You hit the nail on the head!

I don't know what kind of fantasy world people are living in. Skywest won't unionize, they won't combine any list. ASA will just get smaller (how many bases do we have now?) until there is nothing left. Skywest has a history of doing this to other carriers, it was just on a smaller scale... The writing is on the wall, no one should be shocked. Even if Skywest unionized that wouldn't create a single list. ASA will eventually go away, the non unionized rock stars at Skywest will upgrade to RJ captain (living the dream) but that'll be their final upgrade with all of the outsourcing etc. Like it or not, that's the reality of the situation.

Latest resources

Back