• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA future with Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The premise in your statement is asinine, let alone you argument.

The government is under no obligation to shareholders, only the Constitution. Businesses on the other hand are beholden to the shareholder. They must create wealth to continue to exist. The government need only raise taxes.

While I know you mean well, these are sorts of premises that I know many of the ALPA leaders hold. All it does is solidify their rational to hold onto power. They are no better than 90% of the politicians we have in DC. The more I hear arguments such as yours, the more I am ready to turn in my card. While I like the protections I receive, it appears to me we may have begun to reach the point of diminished return on ALPA.

Additionally, explain to me how you can justify keeping a pilot who did a 360 on an arrival? The paperwork on this pilot is a foot deep, yet ALPA will defend this pilot. One mistake, absolutely, defend. Once it becomes something of a pattern, they need to stop the defense. All it does is cost dues money and the company money. After all, ALPA is all about safety right?

You misunderstood me. I was NOT saying that the constitution is beholden to shareholders. What I was saying is that the shareholders are to the company as the taxpayers/citizens are to the USA.

If you like the protections you receive, then you will not like the protections you will not receive at Skywest. If ALPA has reached a point of diminishing returns, then its time we did something about it. We are ALPA. ALPA is not something that is in DC. Its you and me.

I justify all pilots to exercise their grievance rights just as I justify OJ exercising his constitutional rights to have a defense. In both cases, our predecessors have fought hard for those rights so that we are treated with just.

too late! your pom poms are showing!

Sorry, I meant to add an emoticon to express my sarcasm in that post. I'm only as much of a cheerleader as he is a hater.;)

Reforming the system will require some folks that are willing to send the current MEC back to the line. On a personal level, I like all of those guys. I really believe they are doing what they is best. Problem is from my perspective is they have been there too long and are too beholden to the militant minority just national is. We need a change in leadership that will step away from the combative tones that have been common place here since the George and John days. The players have changed and the field has been changed as well. The later being the most important, I don't feel that many have recognized that fact.

However, I do like having some legal protections as well as medical advice if needed. I have a consdierable amount of my life tied up in this profession and I like the protections. However, I don't think we will see any meaningful reform for ALPA anytime soon.

Its not that hard to recall elected MEC members. You wont see any meaningful reform if you don't do anything to reform it.

We as union employees have set it up so that business is also beholden to our contract, if they wish to benefit from our employment. That includes a fair "judicial system" for dealing with disciplinary action. Do you disagree with this?

I believe all pilots are entitled to representation (that's what we're paying for). The problem appears to be deeper than just having representation, as serial killers also receive representation, but usually are removed from society in spite of such representation. So let's reform the system, not abandon representation!

To respond to the original point about representation, though, I don't have the numbers, but I really don't believe the existence of a grievance process represents the difference in pilot costs between ASA and SkyWest.

You sound like an attorney.

Latest resources

Back