ASA Furlough Fund

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mtsupilot,

I will go along with the private account for those to donate into. That being said, and since you proclaim to be a supporter of it, can you tell me what have you found in your research about setting up a private fund?

The point I am trying to make is, many called for a private fund instead, but I didn't see anybody taking it further than that.

Own your own ideas. If you think you have a great solution, take it further than just saying we need a private fund. I am willing to listen to both options, and will help where I can. I just haven't seen the private fund option get off the drawing board, and our furloughed pilots need are help.

Last edited:
I also see both sides of the coin like most however, as far as this being some kind of test from ALPA... well this vote that was sent out is not anything new. Other pilot groups such as Delta have voted on the same type of fund for there furloughed pilots. The union addressed this in a FAQ.

As far as that Auburn tool, I did not vote yes for him. I voted yes for guy I flew that had a wife and a kid with an unexpected kid on the way. Or the other guy who has one kid and his wife who just lost her job. The idiots like Mr Auburn just got lucky in life one more time.

While I agree this generation sucks for the most part, I hope the Delta pilots were not over there saying that last crop of pilots were the worst, good riddance to them and their family's. We are are still humans and more over we are bonded by a special fraternity.

PC

While I agree this generation sucks for the most part, I hope the Delta pilots were not over there saying that last crop of pilots were the worst, good riddance to them and their family's. We are are still humans and more over we are bonded by a special fraternity.

PC[/quote]

The most relevant thought in this whole thread.

People!!

This generation does not 'suck".

It's just different. And as for those differences, some are for better, some are for worse.

But let's not forget, this generation has fielded the finest all volunteer military the world has ever seen.

They may be different, and can't quote Caddyshack or appreciate a comment about Ned Beatty grabbing a log and squealing like a pig, but they don't suck!

This has nothing to do with wether we do OR do not want to help fellow pilots. The answer to that is Yes we do BUT on our terms. Not to be told what we have to do.

ALPA works "for" the line pilot, the line pilot doesn't work for ALPA. What should have happened is a quick Wilson poll on the subject then proceed in the proper direct. These pilots will be taken care of, this was never in doubt.

ALPA works "for" the line pilot, the line pilot doesn't work for ALPA. What should have happened is a quick Wilson poll on the subject then proceed in the proper direct. These pilots will be taken care of, this was never in doubt.

I agree with you, but Wilson polls are very expensive. Isn't the vote pretty much the same way of polling the pilot group? It is much cheaper to do, and it isn't really the fault of the ASA MEC that our pilot group couldn't be bothered to take the time to vote.

Given that only ~20% took the time to vote, I pretty much think that if there was a voluntary fund, the contributions would have been so low that it would have been an insult to the furloughed guys.

I agree with you, but Wilson polls are very expensive. Isn't the vote pretty much the same way of polling the pilot group? It is much cheaper to do, and it isn't really the fault of the ASA MEC that our pilot group couldn't be bothered to take the time to vote.

Given that only ~20% took the time to vote, I pretty much think that if there was a voluntary fund, the contributions would have been so low that it would have been an insult to the furloughed guys.

Yes.

No.

Well I called the Delta Credit Union just to see what it would take. In this particular case, since this is not for any one individual, like a family house fire, or cancer or something, we would have to set up a temporary trust and appoint trusstees to handle disbursement to the group on a case by case basis.
Slightly complicated.

I still think that may rather than force every one to pay ALPA could have just setup the fund and allowed people to donate to it rather than take our money.

But thanks for hearing my point and not attacking me from the get go.

Well I called the Delta Credit Union just to see what it would take. In this particular case, since this is not for any one individual, like a family house fire, or cancer or something, we would have to set up a temporary trust and appoint trusstees to handle disbursement to the group on a case by case basis.
Slightly complicated.

I still think that may rather than force every one to pay ALPA could have just setup the fund and allowed people to donate to it rather than take our money.

But thanks for hearing my point and not attacking me from the get go.

Thanks for doing some research into it. It definately sounds like it would be tricky to handle. To me, what ALPA was offering was the only real option we had. If the vote had not passed, I am not sure what direction we would have gone...if any at all.

Latest resources

Back