• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Furlough Fund

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If this furlough fund vote goes through, how long will it last. I know it doesn't seem like alot but after 6 months of paying into the fund I give up 120 bucks. I hear this through the grapevine so am not sure of the exact amount. I can buy my children shoes with that money. I don't have an iphone, fast car, or hair gel. Anyone look at their check lately to see all the money taken out. I lost my job before I started at asa, I had to pay Cobra and Daycare while I looked for a job. I was there it sucked but no one helped my family out. There is unemployment for these guys and girls. We pay for that too. I voted no.

If this furlough fund vote goes through, how long will it last. I know it doesn't seem like alot but after 6 months of paying into the fund I give up 120 bucks. I hear this through the grapevine so am not sure of the exact amount. I can buy my children shoes with that money. I don't have an iphone, fast car, or hair gel. Anyone look at their check lately to see all the money taken out. I lost my job before I started at asa, I had to pay Cobra and Daycare while I looked for a job. I was there it sucked but no one helped my family out. There is unemployment for these guys and girls. We pay for that too. I voted no.

Well then...since nobody helped you out you're not supposed to help anyone else out. Got it.

Hey I went through tough times too but if the option to help a kid out came up you know I'd help!

Nevertheless it was your call and I can't bash you for your decision...at least you had an opinion and voted! My hat's still off to ya!

Read the contract of when probation is over.
dispite what the contract says, ALPA changes the probs over to active membership at DOH + 1 year. wether that is what is supposed to happen or not is a different story. thats what has happened. also dues have been taken from paychecks for guys at 12 months from DOH dispite the contract saying probation ends 1 year after completion of IOE. in addition to that, everyone you talk to thinks probation ends at one year after DOH. it is not possible to memorize the entire contract so one could honestly believe he is off of probation when ALPA sends him a new card saying he is now an active member and then charges him for dues.

I notice you're an FO- could just as easily have been your tail out on furlough. Everyone is going to hit a hard spot in this career- Karma is a powerful entity
I'm one of the 80.

I would MUCH rather have seen this handled in a different way. It would be much better to have the union form a committee to manage a voluntary fund.

Forcing people into charity is a bad idea.

Why wasn't that even an option?

Secondly, I am saving money in an interest bearing account for such an event. These people should have known that furlough was a possibility and saved accordingly rather than expect a bailout forced by the the union. But given the state of the economy, I guess saving money is sooo last century, it's all about the bailouts baby! So sad.
I didn't 'expect' anything from anyone and was prepared to live without health insurance for my wife and I until we find another job.

I have 3 kids. The twins weren't exactly planned...but we're glad they're here. To say times are tight is an understatement.

Saving for this inevitability has unfortunately not been possible for the last several years.

I'll be sure to prepare better for the next global economic meltdown so as not to become a burden to anyone else.

In the meantime, I'll remember to be helpful to others when I'm in a position to help and they're barely treading water.

Last edited:

Does it ever end?

I am going to make an assumption based on your screenname. If this is somebody making a joke, than I apologize, but I doubt it.

• You are currently furloughed and unemployed.
  • You manage to cast a vote, requiring your fellow coworkers to pay for your COBRA insurance, when you were told you were not eligible to vote.
  • You respond to Ed's ALPA post, I can only assume so you can recieve even more money from other people.
  • And the best thing about all of this, is that during a time when you should be personally tightening your own belt, you manage to spend $15 to get a FLIGHTINFO account.
I am so glad that mine and other's generosity seems to be a blank check for you.

Does it ever end?

I am going to make an assumption based on your screenname. If this is somebody making a joke, than I apologize, but I doubt it.
  • You are currently furloughed and unemployed.
  • You manage to cast a vote, requiring your fellow coworkers to pay for your COBRA insurance, when you were told you were not eligible to vote.
  • You respond to Ed's ALPA post, I can only assume so you can recieve even more money from other people.
  • And the best thing about all of this, is that during a time when you should be personally tightening your own belt, you manage to spend $15 to get a FLIGHTINFO account.
I am so glad that mine and other's generosity seems to be a blank check for you.

I don't fault him for that- he was eligible to vote, and did. It's ALPA's fault, if he wasn't allowed to vote, for not shutting the door to those not eligible.

Everybody is moaning about the outcome, and the process. It was done by the book, so what more should be done? It passed, so what's the point in ranting and raving over it? I'm just not understanding some of the views here, but then, everyone is entitled to their own.

Personally, I'm glad to help- mandatory or not. For me, it's principle. I don't give a #### who's son they are, what they drive, what headset they use, or their choice in cellular telephone.

Personally, I'm glad to help- mandatory or not. For me, it's principle. I don't give a #### who's son they are, what they drive, what headset they use, or their choice in cellular telephone.

JumpersAway, I admire your willingness to help out, but let me pose the following question...

I know an FO who's wife is losing her job in this downturn and she makes more money than he does...They are going to have a hard time paying their bills....Should he be forced to help pay COBRA for people who may be better off financially than he is?

I have talked to many pilots this week who are having their own financial hardships....They aren't too happy about being forced into charity when they are having trouble themselves....

In addition, we are going to be picking up 65% of the cost of COBRA thru our tax dollars and the stimulus....They will only be responsible for 35% of the cost...

Latest resources

Back