ASA DTW CP pulls IAD pilot offline for refusing aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yeah surprised it wasn't 777 who started it :laugh:

If you are too fatigued to fly without an A/P, how will you be able to handle an emergency? Can't fly the arrival into LGA? How about setting V/S to 1.5 and follow the FD. It's not rocket science and any captain, let alone FO should be able to do it. If you are too tired to fly without AP, then you are too tired to fly with it on and you should call out fatigued. If they MEL is legal and pax safety is not compromised (ie APU in the summer, etc), then stop being lazy and do your job.

Agreed.

There's a big difference in accepting an aircraft because we're trained to handle no AP, no FMS, on a bad WX night down the East Coast (did it myself a few weeks ago), and refusing an aircraft based on all that + long duty or rough day (fatigue). Sure, any one of us SHOULD be able to handle multiple deferrals on any given day, but when you add in fatigue for whatever reason the game changes. Fatigue makes us all do dumb stuff, even the best of us (DeucesWild "Maverick").

I don't know the full story, and I doubt anyone on here really knows all the details, but good call by the PIC for refusing the aircraft based on what I've heard about this so far. Sure the crew could probably physically do it, but lets say they take off and halfway to HSV they have a full electrical failure. I know I don't want to find myself in a situation like that after this kind of day. It's unnecessary to put yourself, your crew, and those happy, trusting passengers in that kind of situation, however unlikely it is.

Safety > Completion Factor. End of story.

And yes, ASA does have a fatigue call out policy, but it's up to the CP to determine if it's warranted and if you get paid. Unfortunately, I feel this leads to people who need/want the money coming to work when they have no business behind the yoke. (Just my $.02)

You know, with all that "threat and error management" stuff we go through in training, you'd think the company would abide by the same philosophy.

All the internal ASA drama aside, if you are too tired to fly without the autopilot, then you're too tired to fly. Period. Its a good thing to have, but it is not a necessity. If you are that tired, but a fatigue call may be in order.

Latest resources

Back