• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
under operation control...

CBA Section 1. B.
Rights and Equities of Pilots

All Flying: All flying as set forth in Section 2 [Flight Pay], now
or hereafter conducted by, or which hereafter becomes
available to the Company (ie Alaska Airlines) (including utilization of aircraft under the operational control of the Company (Alaska Airlines) shall, if flown by the Company (Alaska Airlines), continue to be performed by pilots on the Alaska Airlines Pilot System Seniority List. This paragraph [1.B.1.] places a mutual obligation on the Company and the Pilots.

"under operational control" means flying that falls under the FOM of Alaska Airlines and President Brad Tilden. Horizon is not "under the operational control" of Alaska Airlines. It operates with a different FOM and a different President. So, the Air Group can task Horizon to operate any city pair they want to and Alaska Airlines has no operational jurisdiction (sp?).

We all want more flying and upgrades, but not at the direct expense of another work group.

It seems to me, the important part is " if flown by the Company ". This keeps Alaska from having other pilots fly airplanes that are being flown by the company. If ALK chooses to have anther company fly, then all bets are off.

Horizon is not "under the operational control" of Alaska Airlines. It operates with a different FOM and a different President. So, the Air Group can task Horizon to operate any city pair they want to and Alaska Airlines has no operational jurisdiction (sp?).

We all want more flying and upgrades, but not at the direct expense of another work group.

It's not Horizon you should be worried about. They're already being marginalized. When they've been cut out, guess who's next? They aren't going to buy 100 seat jets and beg you to fly them for 1/3 the pay. They're going to put in a call to Mesa or GoJets or Great Lakes, who conveniently have a different FOM and President.

Last edited:
I get nothing but blank stares when I explain this to Captains I fly with. The next words out of their mouths usually start with "I thought the new cba..........."

That is fine. Capitalism at its best right? No government? Go with the cheapest bidder and outsource all the jobs!

The problem with Section 1 is that there is a section 2. From Section 2 "Company: means Alaska Airlines, Inc." it does not limit Alaska Air Group in any way.

It doesn't stop with Mesa and SkyWest...it could also be World or Kalitta flying 747's or MD-11's SEA-LHR. Our Scope does absolutely nothing to prevent Air Group from operating flights under another certificate. It doesn't even prevent Air Group from creating another certificate and putting 737's on it.

When you ask the union guys abou it...they say "well this company wouldn't DARE do that." Just like, these furloughs are just negotiating tactics once we get a contract...just like, we didn't just create another b-scale with the new retirement "plan"... just like, it is the unions priority to get all the furloughees back.

Anyway...on the bright side...as long as our pay and work rules remain sub-par we will probably be okay.

Last edited:
I get nothing but blank stares when I explain this to Captains I fly with. The next words out of their mouths usually start with "I thought the new cba..........."

Boy if I had a buck for every time I've heard that and ours is less than a year old!

In the end, when it's all over, it won't have done you any good to have been proven right.

Gup

Where does it say we can fly 100 hours per month in the contract? Vacation, perhaps, but time is also dropped. P2P trades? perhaps, but the other pilot is also dropping that time. Training? perhaps, but again, time is also dropped.

Tilden and companies rarely know what is in their own pilot contracts and all lines are first constructed within the 75-85 hour range and THAT triggers staffing the most.

We get it that you voted NO...Do you want a medal for that?

Latest resources

Back