Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Chief Pilot

A Quick ETOPS Update
Dec 17, 2009 -- As of now, the progress of our talks about the establishment of an ETOPS base in SEA has moved along very slowly. The only real outcome has been the company’s position that something needs to be done before the additional Hawaii flying starts this spring. The company has told our Negotiating Committee that a bid will be posted before the middle of January in order to create enough ETOPS trained pilots to meet the increased frequency of Hawaii flying.

There are basically three solutions the company appears willing to consider.
They are:
(1) Create an ETOPS base in SEA;
(2) Increase the number of ETOPS pilots in LA and ANC; or
(3) Open a PDX base.
We really can’t even begin to speculate exactly which outcome is most likely. The only outcome your MEC has any involvement in is the creation of an ETOPS base in SEA. The other two options can be done within the constraints of our CBA. If you have any questions or comments, give Garth or me [Craig] a call.

This is posted on the Council 64 page. I'm betting a PDX base is in our future. Let's hope it results in some recalls.

CP

I think a PDX base would be the best option for the pilots. I know we have many guys that live there that would LOVE a base there. Of course, it would probably add a few more reserves...although shifting flying from one base to another doesn't really add many more. Not to mention the savings in hotel costs that the company occurs from all those PDX overnights.

The number I heard was a minimum of 56 recalls. That was to cover the increase in HI flying as well as minimum growth. I didn't hear about the PDX base other than in rumors but that would seem logical. The company obviously wants this ASAP. They are going to need the additional pilots to do this. Don't treat the furloughed pilots like hostages. The company needs them to fly the schedule any way.

I talked to crew planning today and they said ALL is depending on the ETOPS in SEA. She said 'no comment' on PDX. ANd her responce to recalls was that all was dependent on the unknown Summer block hours. Fingers crossed for LOTS of recalls & a PDX base.

Baja.

The number I heard was a minimum of 56 recalls. That was to cover the increase in HI flying as well as minimum growth. I didn't hear about the PDX base other than in rumors but that would seem logical. The company obviously wants this ASAP. They are going to need the additional pilots to do this. Don't treat the furloughed pilots like hostages. The company needs them to fly the schedule any way.

Whats the source of the 56 recall rumor?

Whats the source of the 56 recall rumor?

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

I just heard from a reliable source (I know, but I can't disclose who it is), that a number in the 50 range is needed for the summer. Let's hope this will actually happen. Flame on.

Not much time... You have it about right. One flight, one day in the classroom and we could have the entire SEA base trained. Its the FAA certification that takes all the time. You guys also need to buy some 800's. The 700 just doesn't have the capacity to make it worth the money. I hear GK still believes HI flying is a big loser though.

You guys also need to buy some 800's. The 700 just doesn't have the capacity to make it worth the money. I hear GK still believes HI flying is a big loser though.

Uh, FACT CHECK....
All AS ETOPS airplanes are 800. As for the $$. I have seen the numbers for my self. As is making $ in Hawaii.

Latest resources

Back