AS Furlough Mitigation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I voted for it last night.

I don't know you that well, but I was definitely surprised by your initial reaction. Glad to hear you've reconsidered.

I'm going to stop saying 30 'guys' or 30 'jobs' or 30 'F/O's' when I mention this in the coming days. I'm going to stick to calling it what it is...

30 FAMILIES.

The last MEC meeting I went to, the chair said: "Let's face it, these guys were hired after 9/11, they knew they were rolling the dice." Lots of nodding heads in reply. :rolleyes:
It's a hell of a thing when your fate is in the hands of guys that, for the most part, have never had to face furlough and consider what it means.

I honestly don't know how you could look yourself in the mirror in the morning volunteering for extra work so the company can put your fellow pilot out on the street. SCABs are motivated by fear of being put out of work...........these guys do it with nothing to lose.:angryfire

Last edited:
The foot stamping and crying over the 2nd step is not what they care about at all. They love to say "I don't VSA" but take it away and the true colors fly. I don't think the company realized how well they could have broken us during a strike. They know now!

This is one of the primary reasons I voted for this. Take away the incentive to hoar, by flying extra with guys on furlough, and people might actually quit the free-for-all. I don't like everything about the MOU, but it will help 30 families and it is temporary. Plain and simple.

To all on this board:

It is funny to me how overwhelmingly "yes" this board is. If one was to read the ALPA board, you would be sure it was going to fail. Of course, that was the same for the contract, and look what happened there. As one near the bottom, like several of you, my family appreciates your support. This has to be one of the most stressful weeks in my airline career.

I say let's give this a try. If management gives us an unwanted colo-rectal exam on this one, then no more for them.

QCappy,

This could very well fail. Seems like this has taken on a life of its own. People have been getting phone calls urging them to vote no and the individuals making these phone calls have been feeding people misinformation.

As for the crackboards, you are right. More people seem to care about how this MOU vote turns out than the CBA. I'm sure more than a couple of them are VSA'ers.

There are only a couple of no-voters on the crackboards who seem to be levelheaded. TK is one of 'em.

I wish people would read the MOU and make up their own minds. But, it's always easier to listen to someone else's fear-mongering.

Good luck to us all.

Baze

This is truly embarrassing. This pilot group is all about money and our union is a disgrace. There is no way this thing is going to pass but I voted for keeping 30 guys and gals in their house supporting their families. I hope all these guys with there second homes and boats get there way so they can by an new Escalade this year! We complain about the company doing the right thing and then we run and hide behind well its not perfect I don't like this part and oh 2nd step... come on

This is truly embarrassing. This pilot group is all about money and our union is a disgrace. There is no way this thing is going to pass but I voted for keeping 30 guys and gals in their house supporting their families. I hope all these guys with there second homes and boats get there way so they can by an new Escalade this year! We complain about the company doing the right thing and then we run and hide behind well its not perfect I don't like this part and oh 2nd step... come on

Mea,
I am getting lopped in this next furlough but I am not on board with this MOU. I read the email the FO reps sent out today and I tend to agree with them. This is a "land grab" by the company. Take it or leave it...their rules, their benefit and NO guarantees. Much of it makes NO sense at all in regards to mitigating a furlough. If the company is serious about mitigating or preventing furloughs, then the ball is in their court to do the right thing.. ...its just that this is not it. I have not made up my mind though.

Mea,
I am getting lopped in this next furlough but I am not on board with this MOU. I read the email the FO reps sent out today and I tend to agree with them. This is a "land grab" by the company. Take it or leave it...their rules, their benefit and NO guarantees. Much of it makes NO sense at all in regards to mitigating a furlough. If the company is serious about mitigating or preventing furloughs, then the ball is in their court to do the right thing.. ...its just that this is not it. I have not made up my mind though.

I'm a little bit out of the loop on this since I've been on the streets for a while, but a "land grab?"

Doesn't this MOU and all of it's changes to the CBA end if they furlough more?

changed vote to "NO"

I've changed my vote to a "NO" after talking with some of my trusted friends (dudes who are neither pro-company nor pro-union) and re-reading the MOU. IMO, this is a simple hostage situation in order for the company to get what they've always wanted from this pilot group-more $$$.
The company will furlough no matter what, if they don't need the manning; it's all about the $$$. The MOU does not have a "no furlough clause" and it states so clearly. If this thing passes, we may have saved 30 pilot jobs temporarily at best. The fact that the company can furlough at anytime even if we sign up for this MOU is fishy. I really think that the company will come back for more if we sign up for this. I think it's better to call their bluff now and "negotiate" a furlough mitigation that will stick; this MOU was not "negotiated" but rather force fed. If it's a win-win, why only give us a week to read and vote for this thing. Why such a rush?
For those on the chopping block, I really do feel your anxiety and pain. Nothing I or anyone say will ease the pain; I can only imagine.

Latest resources

Back