• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone got the latest at Kalitta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's a great company to work for... if you dont have a job. ;)

When I say I believe they are a good company to work for, I am speaking economically, as well as, a great bunch of guys who fly the line. Our guys flying the line each day is one reason this airline is thriving. I know we have problems, but most problems start with those at the top and trickle down from there. I think when you size us up with other airlines doing our same business we stack up somewhere in the middle. Connie is great at making money.. and thus we are not concerned that we won't have a pay check tomorrow. However, you and I both know the areas this company needs work. But as far as my overall opinion of Kalitta. I think it's as good a place to be right now as most. (At least in the type of work we're doing). Would you agree?

Digital said:
When I say I believe they are a good company to work for, I am speaking economically, as well as, a great bunch of guys who fly the line. Our guys flying the line each day is one reason this airline is thriving. I know we have problems, but most problems start with those at the top and trickle down from there. I think when you size us up with other airlines doing our same business we stack up somewhere in the middle. Connie is great at making money.. and thus we are not concerned that we won't have a pay check tomorrow. However, you and I both know the areas this company needs work. But as far as my overall opinion of Kalitta. I think it's as good a place to be right now as most. (At least in the type of work we're doing). Would you agree?
Gulp!!!!!
I wonder what you will say when one of the 100's pukes an engine coming out of Kuwait at 120 degrees and becomes a beached whale! Personaly I have been to enough funerals (in this type of work!) already. Oh and another thing those great guys flying the line are "THE" reason the company is thriving:)

Hey Koslen an emgine failure is not a big deal I got 4 in my career. In one of them I had only engine, guess what I flew deadstick for about 15 minutes.
Land a whale in the ocean is not a big deal, but explain to your kids why you had a job and from the night to the morning you lost it, and can't by milk for them anymore it is a big deal.
Kalitta is so far the best job I ever had here in US and all problems we have everyone there has. they just don't talk about it.
Do u have any idea how many engine problems this CRJ's have in a day?
Do you know what caused the crash of the pinacle CRJ?
What about the other 4 challenger's (same CRJ just shorter)?
The FAA knows the manufacturer defect but they won't tell.
Unless you fly for your own company Kalitta today probably don't have any competition in terms of work environment.
Also the reason for the guys who failed was diverse. Some decided was not for them, others were scared by the training that is very intense (this is not an entry job neither entry plane). We also had a guy who omited a fail in a checkride that they dismissed. Kalitta work on your weakness for sure but like was said here they will not bring down the training quality. 5 out of 11 in my class aced the written systems test plus on made 98% so is nothing out of the world.
Schedule owns you during your days on but they can't touch you on your days off unless u wanna make some extra cash.
So don't blame them for not being able to meet your girlfriend on the side in somewhere in europe or hono, just because the company had to make some money to pay your salary. You should be smart enough to not promise anything for girlfriends otherwise they become wives.

bombinha said:
Hey Koslen an emgine failure is not a big deal I got 4 in my career. In one of them I had only engine, guess what I flew deadstick for about 15 minutes.
Land a whale in the ocean is not a big deal, but explain to your kids why you had a job and from the night to the morning you lost it, and can't by milk for them anymore it is a big deal.
Kalitta is so far the best job I ever had here in US and all problems we have everyone there has. they just don't talk about it.
Do u have any idea how many engine problems this CRJ's have in a day?
Do you know what caused the crash of the pinacle CRJ?
What about the other 4 challenger's (same CRJ just shorter)?
The FAA knows the manufacturer defect but they won't tell.
Unless you fly for your own company Kalitta today probably don't have any competition in terms of work environment.
Also the reason for the guys who failed was diverse. Some decided was not for them, others were scared by the training that is very intense (this is not an entry job neither entry plane). We also had a guy who omited a fail in a checkride that they dismissed. Kalitta work on your weakness for sure but like was said here they will not bring down the training quality. 5 out of 11 in my class aced the written systems test plus on made 98% so is nothing out of the world.
Schedule owns you during your days on but they can't touch you on your days off unless u wanna make some extra cash.
So don't blame them for not being able to meet your girlfriend on the side in somewhere in europe or hono, just because the company had to make some money to pay your salary. You should be smart enough to not promise anything for girlfriends otherwise they become wives.
I know why the crj crashed. A couple of rookies tried to climb to 410 in an underpowered airplane and got to slow. I spent seven years at or above FL410. I don't remember seeing to many crj's up there. I wouldn't brag about your 5 out of 11 ace mark either. I seem to remember they gave us all the anwsers before the test. I think almost eveyone in my class got 100%. Oh tell your captains how scheduling owns you. I'm sure they will love your enthusiasm. I happen to know many of them personaly. It's pft type pukes like you who runined this industry for the rest of us. Where do they find suckers like you? A job fair or something? Many of the great people I have flown with at Kalitta air have endured tons of abuse from the scheduling department of this company. Not to mention the poor operations department as well. The crewmembers are the ones who make that place work and to think they have to fly with a kool-aid gulping punk like you. Know i'm glad I not there anymore. I bet you arn't much of a stick either or you wouldn't have to brag about your 4 engine faliures. I have been a freight dog for over a decade. I have seen more crap then you can imagine. But I don't feel I have to prove anything to anyone! I'll be sure to let my buddies know you coming.:p

I just finished the Sim check and did an eight day fam ride around the world while waiting for IOE to start. So far I have only encountered good people and feel lucky to be with a company with no debt and lots of work. The aircraft we flew had no maintenance delays or significant write ups in about 40 hours of flying. The catering on-board and the hotels we stayed in were the best I've ever had. I have no reason to suck up to the company or depict it with rose-colored glasses. That's just the way I see it. I was a DC-8 captain and have had friends die from faulty maintenance (Emery). I've also been furloughed from a major (Northwest). In other words, my eyes are wide open. Here's my story at Kalitta:

I got no response from sending in my resume. I hand-carried a resume to the company office in YIP, got to see the chief pilot, told him my story, and got called a few days later. I took a straightforward sim eval in Miami (had to get there on my own), and started class a few weeks later. The whole process took about four weeks from meeting the chief pilot to first day in class.

Ground school was the best I've ever had. Excellent systems course and a superbly qualified systems instructor. Training department was always helpful and friendly. Kalitta wants you to get through training because they need you on the line. You have to work though, and it's not easy. Everyone in my class of 16 made it through ground school and sim training. Sim training and the check were typical. You have to fly good instruments and call for and run checklists just like anywhere else.

I like the environment and the feel of the company. It's comfortable and not too formal. I haven't had to grapple with scheduling, but the schedulers I've worked with in setting up my fam trip and IOE have been friendly and helpful. From what I've heard talking to experienced Kalitta crewmembers, the biggest problem is getting released and home at the end of your 17 day work month. A lot of the friction seems to be eliminated if you don't commute.

I'm no expert being new and all. But I'll take things as they come, and so far this feels like a place I want to hang around as long as I can. The prospect of one year or so to B747 captain is another big plus that I don't think you'll find anywhere else.

Good luck.

Koslen, Nosewheel, et al:

Enough is enough!
Are you being held hostage at this awful place? Who's holding the gun to your head? What kind of person would continue to fly under the conditions you describe? You're obviously not the sharpest knives in the drawer!
Yeah, Scheduling is atrocious and MX could be much better, but...
The bottom line is this: if you don't like it just leave. Do you like the money? Is taht more important than your safety? Hang up your red dress and put away the stiletto heels. If you don't want to perform the job, stop taking the money. Stop trashing the company unless you're prepared to leave it! Put up or shut up. You don't have a clue. Get a grip!

hkgorbust

Yes I just did hang up my red dress after 12 years with Connie and what a great feeling having a life once again. And yeh, I DO HAVE A CLUE!!!. 23 years with every scumbag operator in YIP gives me a BIG CLUE !!! Like I have said, It's a great place to work if you dont have a job. I dont blame anyone for taking a job where they can fly the 74 and build time with an excellent chance of upgrading in a short period of time. As far as the Crew's at Kalitta...most all of them are some of the best in the industry and Great people to work with and I will miss them big time!!! Go for It !!!! Fly Safe and have a great time.

Latest resources

Back