Anyone get a call from Frontier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey starcheckr,

If you want to work with the fms and you have some extra time before OE you can go to CAE and use one of the computers there. If the classroom is locked you can go upstairs to the briefing room at the east end of the building and the computer with two screens attached has the correct fms training program. At least this way you will be able to run through the difrips and build fixes and all that good stuff. PM me if you want more info and good luck in the sim.

stratus72 said:
Nah,

I friend of mine was reading the post. Just thought I'd welcome him to the thread.

Stratus72

Whew - :rolleyes: . Thought I was being confused with the notorious "P" word there for a sec...

The "P" Word

Well, long story, but essentially, the "P" word refers to a gentleman who involuntarily went his own way after working for a little bit at F9, and was rather vocal about his feelings toward F9 after that on this message board. Not a happy camper, and he has since "moved on." Gotta feel for those who don't know a good thing when they have it.

Ahhh...the first day of sim...what a mess (me i mean). Talk about fogetting everything i learned over the past few weeks...man i couldn't make the callouts for anything. At least the instructor said that was normal for this kind of transition to glass and all, plus it being a new a/c makes you have "tunnel vision" almost that first day. I also forgot the autopilot was there for most of the flight...literally. I had to be reminded multiple times to go ahead and use it to help me prepare for the next events to take place (i guess hand flying for the past 5+ years kinda got me in that groove). That will be the hardest thing to get used to, all that automation. Who knew a FD could actually help you fly?!?!?!? Ours were always slow and behind the a/c so i never used them except in training environments...this one was pretty darn good! I am very impressed with this a/c and all it can do.

As far as the United training center...WOW!!! What a place! Huge, and tons of amenities...I liked the full service cafeteria they have...good breakfast when the sim was over. The box wasn't too bad, a few little quirks, but overall not "too" much different...I say that now, well see when i get out on IOE if i still feel the same.:D

starchkr, somewhere out there is a list of "FMS gotchas." Check around with your fellow students or some IOE instructors, they're bound to have something. If you don't find anything, let me know, and I'll look around and see if I have one. Not a BIG deal, you'll find them one way or another.

starchkr, by the way, you mentioned your previous expereince hand-flying. No matter what some guys tell you, there's no such thing as "hand flying" an Airbus. Don't believe it if they tell you they hand flew the Airbus. With the sidestick, you're merely "manually influencing the autopilot." Speaking of the autopilot, one of my debrief items when I was going through training in the sim was "stop disconnecting the autopilot when you do a go-around." Impressive airplane. Also, a better cabin for the passengers (in my humble opinion). Hey, good luck, I wish I was in your shoes. Who knows, maybe I'll get a call or e-mail soon??

AirbusDan is right, it's just ANOTHER interface...kinda. You actually will make all your right seat landings by hand obviously, and it reverts to direct law <50' like your sim instructor already said so there's some feel to it.

It really flies like the sim, but don't get too hung up on the flare/landing. One thing I learned on IOE is that shortly after you hear "Fifty" - make a little check flare and just keep a steady flare. If you hear "Five"...you're golden. But you knew that. The gear is stout, and built for third world country pilots who don't really get all the training we get (not my words, simply that from CAs I've flown with); translation = if you have a "firm" landing the only damage will be to your ego...and perhaps your reputation. Not that I would know from recent experience or anything..

Have fun bud,

M3

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back