• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone fly for Gulfstream out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: I'll take a car, thank you very much!!

Dude, just connect through Tampa on US Airways. At least they're not scabs....right?

Here we go

Wow just like the old board everyone has to sling crap around and put someone down if they JUST PUT OUT SOME THOUGHTS. Please read the post. They were not opinions just taking the discussion further. So if you want it that way I can sling it too.

First Flydeltasjets. In that section I ment more like they don't pay for hotel in ATL when your hired. One of the only reasons I point this out is about a year ago we got this new guy in my guard unit. He came to us from the AF and is on with delta. A bunch of us were having a few beers and talking about the industry jobs ect. and he went off on this commuter pilots PFT and AF or other mil guys don't. Like I said he was new and didn't exactly know all of our backgrounds like myself a commuter pilot. You should have saw his face when he found out that this Lt. (who earlier in the day had put some hurt on him out on the range) was a commuter pilot and one that didn't PFT at that. Hope this clears things up and your having fun down there in hotlanta.

Now as for cvsfly:

First if you agree to pay my bills I'll agree to not grow up. I have an annual on my champ comming up so I'll be waiting for your check, just make it out to cash. Come on dude you can do better than than that. Who do you think you are my dad. (btw if you are that would be cool because according to ual and the air force he's been dead for over 17 years now)

Also in your rant (which, btw is about as bad as mine) back there you said that pay apps keep people from applying when they don't have the mins. I applied to fedex (and know other who did) when I got out of upt and didn't have the mins. I'm almost there and keep updating as I get the turb. pic time and upgrade at my airline.

Please wise old man teach me about economics this should be good. Another thing I'm not a "whinning under experienced pilot" nor are the ones I fly with.

Lastly you sound like the first CP I worked for when I flew charter. He was a lifer (not b/c of his time or age or exp. but b/c of his attitude) and would flip out on sic's that left for commuters. Some left for PFT jobs others went to non PFT like PDT airlines. He just couldn't stand that other people may leave for better things and he wasn't (again b/c of his attitude).

As for you other comments about working conditions and that sort, I've not encountered them here and I'm not drinking the H2O in HQ or anything. It's all about attitude.

And for the record:

My mother paid for half of my Pvt. when I was 16/17. I paid for the rest thru ATP with my own money while going to school for engineering. I never PFT at my 2 charter jobs or as a CFI. And didn't my airline. But yes I am guilty, I PFT (if PFT includes this remember they were just thoughts) by paying fdx fee and traveling to guard interviews.

Finally you should have taken the job with comair, by now you would most likely be making more that a king air charter/corp. job as a RJ capt. and have a sked as a middle of the list senority # with a retirement. Just think about it.

Happy Flying

note: correct spelling not assured

General-

I don't know if you're a scab or not.

Since the private pilot is not a paid position, or "job", then you were not displacing a pilot who would otherwise be paid.

But you knew that. You just wanted to be a wise guy.

Maybe a better point of understanding is a comparison to a college education. No one expects you to be hired by an engineering firm while in high school, and have them pay for your college degree. You are expected to have the degree when hired, and be ready for whatever extra professional training, seminars, and certifications might be deemed necessary by you company. Engineers expect these costs will be paid by their company, since they have completed their basic education before joining the company. They expect this because they are professionals.

Legit air carriers should expect you to be a commercial pilot, appropriately rated, and ready for whatever special training THEY deem appropriate, and they should pay for THAT.

YOU should not be paying THEM.

Pay for initial training v. P-F-T

I second Timebuilder's comments in every way about comparing flight training to going to college and how legit companies should hire you and train you without paying them.

I enjoy these discussions because they make me think of other lines of work. Let's talk about law (because that's what I'm doing now!) and radio, because that's what Timebuilder and I did before flying. In both occupations, you have to go through a certain amount of training when you start a new job. In a law office, no matter how much experience you have (translate that to quals and hours) you have to learn how files are organized, how deadlines are maintained, which standard forms to use, which software is on the computer, where the copier and postage meters are, etc. You may not be 100% familiar with these items, although you've been doing the work for years. Someone has to show you, so, yes, you still have to be trained. But, you don't pay for it.

In radio, you may have worked in the major markets, e.g., New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, Philly, etc. But, the equipment, i.e. tape recorders, tape cartridge players, turntables, CD players, etc. will be different from radio station to radio station and every radio station does things different (translate to airplane, checklists, SOPs, etc., differences training). Someone will show you how to operate the broadcast console and transmitter, train you in the station's format, and at least supervise you for a while to ensure you can run the equipment competently while on the air. You are being trained. You are not paying for that training.

I reiterate Timebuilder's comment: It make no difference what occupation you're in, as far as training goes, "YOU should not be paying THEM."

Last edited:
Hertz

As they say at Hertz, not exactly!

It woulld not be correct to say that the engineer was going to have addtional training paid for by the company... In addition, should he change companies, it may be necessary for him to go back and add additional skills.

A doctor who works for himself as a professional has to pay for and take courses to keep current at his cost/

We should come to some kind of definition as has been pointed out. There is Pay For Training and there is Pay for Job. Two separate and distinct things.

Southwest at least has the courtesy to hire people without a rating and then let them get it.

Consider for a moment the alternative. Southwest just says you have to have the rating to apply.... people would be out spending money to get ratings that Southwest would not take on a bet.

Fedex wants to discourage random application from the unqualified. You are applying to them because I assume you want to work there. They are not chasing you down and asking you to apply..The number of applications became a burden so they slowed it down by a fee.

Trust me,, for corporate operators whether to invest in a rating for someone is a big deal. In a period when pilots are in demand and walking in less than a year, the temptation is to jsut hire someone with the rating.

I don't doubt that you may have some examples to cite, Pub.

However, every engineer friend I know expects the company he works for to pick up training costs. And, pick them up they do.

My Doc buds have the PC (professional corporation, or parent company to their multi-doc practice) pick up the training costs for new procedures, recurring board certs, etc.

None of these guys plunk down $20,000 for 250 hours of operating room time. Well, maybe they would...if Britney needed an adjustment to her surgical enhancements, but outside of that, they don't pay.

In a few years, I will be in the situation of buying an aircraft to support my company's business (a corporation). The aircraft will most likely be a small piston single or light twin, of course but the point is, the company's corporate account will pay for the aircraft AND any flight reviews or other associated training. I will NOT pay for it out of my salary. It's a business, not personal, expense. Job specific flight training should never be considered a personal expense!! IT'S A BUSINESS EXPENSE AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH.

Choupitula:

Is it USAirways mainline or Express that flies into EYW? (Although I think I'm still going to drive--I want to stop by Joe's Stone Crab in Miami for lunch---heard it was terrific--and I hear that the drive over the bridge to the Keys is quite a trip). Just curious in case I get infected with the SCUBA bug and I keep going back there for more diving trips. Looking forward to diving lessons this November!! Of course USAirways is not a scab company--I enjoy travelling on mainline and also like Allegheny and Piedmont.

Flyin@500agl,
Where do you get your information about TSA? All of our planes are in good condition. Our maintenance guys deserve that award. They do a good job and I have no complaints about our maintenance. In regard to BGM, we only fly the jets in there, one of the wholey owneds operates in there as well. I'm not sure how you know the complaints were from passengers on a TSA flight.

Recurrent training outside of aviation

Just to clarify, various professionals besides pilots have to take annual recurrent training. Their rules of conduct or similar codes mandate that they take this training.

Attorneys have to take a seminar every year. It's called Continuing Legal Education, or CLE, for short. It's a business expense, tax-deductable, and paid for by your lawfirm.

Paralegals should take CLE in their speciality(ies). I have, all paid for by my employer at the time.

CPAs have to take continuing ed every year as well. I understand that schoolteachers have to take a few hours every year.

So do doctors, but, again, it's a business expense, tax-deductable, paid by the professional corporation. One example I can think of is that opthamologist bud you have. Chances are, he/she learned PRK at a professional ed seminar, which probably was held at some posh resort, such as Aspen or Vail.

Once again, the codified requirements of the professions mandate these recurrent training requirements. You can't compare it to P-F-T or pay-for-job. You take this training or you're deemed as being out of license. It's a business expense. It's just as simple as that.

Once again, great discussion.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back