Any colgan guys out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
heywatchthis said:
But yes a few do make the initial company change to a good major, but those have been at Colgan for 5+ years. Thats a long time to be here, and just think if the risk doesn't payoff. Now what the hell you going to do?

I will restate. Colgan is an excellent place to go for a short period of time. Just my opinion and take it as that.

five years because for the past five years there as been almost NO hiring. that time is going to come down as the majors start hiring in the next couple of years. imho

Tell me how many guys flying a E170 or CRJ900 have application with Gemini or Omni Air International?

Answer NONE.

Allegiant has guys that were CRJ and ERJ captains at air wisconsin, mesa, ACA, and comair. Also captains from colgan, Commutair, TSA, and Skyway.

Anyone that hasn't landed a 7-MEL Beech 1900 in -FZRA, vis 1/2, runway 5000', 20 knot x-wind, 10 knots on the tail, braking action "poor" with a chew buzz on is a big sissy.

BRA said:
Tell me how many guys flying a E170 or CRJ900 have application with Gemini or Omni Air International?

Answer NONE.

Allegiant has guys that were CRJ and ERJ captains at air wisconsin, mesa, ACA, and comair. Also captains from colgan, Commutair, TSA, and Skyway.

I think Allegiant is a good deal. Like AirTran when it started. Not to bad mouth them or anyone else, just trying to say it's safer to go to a flying job that you can stay at and be picky on your next move. Or take the risky-er move and get PIC and move on to something better. Both have there advantages and disadvantages. Just be aware of them.

I don't know what its like at Horizon, but I figure there has to be a reason guys go to a regional with a 7 year upgrade. On the other hand, why does Colgan have a 1-2 year upgrade without any expansion.

This career can be brutal, I know. Just choose what is best for you and do some research so you know what to expect. Let LUCK do the rest.

Attention Colgan Air Pilots!

FROM THE CHIEFS OFFICE

In an effort to improve working conditions at Colgan air we are now allowing flight crews to fly in their boxers. we are aware that it is hot up front and with no apu or english speaking ground personnel to get you an air cart it dan get down right dangerously hot up front.

We do ask however that you put your clothes back on before you exit the cockpit.

The chief

heywatchthis said:
I think Allegiant is a good deal. Like AirTran when it started. Not to bad mouth them or anyone else, just trying to say it's safer to go to a flying job that you can stay at and be picky on your next move. Or take the risky-er move and get PIC and move on to something better. Both have there advantages and disadvantages. Just be aware of them.

I don't know what its like at Horizon, but I figure there has to be a reason guys go to a regional with a 7 year upgrade. On the other hand, why does Colgan have a 1-2 year upgrade without any expansion.

This career can be brutal, I know. Just choose what is best for you and do some research so you know what to expect. Let LUCK do the rest.

Back in 2002 i briefly thought i had the choice between ACA and colgan. Everyone told me to go to ACA if i had the choice, they were the better company, better AC, better QOL, UAL looked stronger then USair. Lucky for me ACA shot me down and i went to my only choice left. I wanted ACA at the time though. I say try and pick the middle of the road regional. The best one will get screwed, and the worst one will screw you.

heywatchthis said:

Answer NONE.

Uh, is that because it's a paycut and a cut in QOL??

Aside from what was previously mentioned....

How are the health benefits at Colgan and how long after being hired do they kick in?
How long are the new guys and gals sitting reserve and where are they getting based?
How many hours on average are line holders putting in per month?
How's the overall morale?

So many questions, so little time. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

EBE said:
Aside from what was previously mentioned....

How are the health benefits at Colgan and how long after being hired do they kick in?
How long are the new guys and gals sitting reserve and where are they getting based?
How many hours on average are line holders putting in per month?
How's the overall morale?

So many questions, so little time. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Health benefits are ok. medical, dental, vision, LTD, STD, the usual package. 401k but no matching. medical benefits start when you are online I believe. There is no reserve in the standard sense. All depends on the base. If you are 5 out of 5 FO at a base. You will do more reserve. If you are 4 out of 4 or 3 out of 4 you will fly. Some bases 80-90 is average and some 60-70. Upgrade has slowed so now it is closer to 16-18 months or so as opposed to the 12 that I had. Moral is ok. Not the best and I am sure not the worst. Some good people worked here.

Health insurance kicks in the first full month after you start training.

Ex.-If you start training June 19 then you are covered starting July 1.

With regards to reserve it all depends on where you are based. You can count on sitting reserve in Albany, Manasty, and Houston(which you won't get right out of training). If you're the #4 FO in Ithaca and there's only 3 lines then you're sitting reserve. Hours vary greatly between bases. They can go from 60-78 in Johnstown to 80-95 in Presque Isle.

Latest resources

Back