Any colgan guys out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Snaab said:
Heard from a good source a few days ago that we have 4 in class right for Saab, want a 5 more in a June 19 class, and another class July 17 (not sure if it's only Saab, or a mix). Also was told future looks like this: upgrade will be 1 year for Beech, 2 years for Saab. Don't really know what attrition is like, but know more usually leave in summer for some reason.

Snaab

with the longer upgrade attrition will rise because second year pay is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar below industry average.

btw, how is houston?

Last edited:
Colgan is a good deal for a VERY short period of time. Are you very low time and need some TT to get on with your favorite RJ operator. GOOD DEAL then. You have good TT and connections and need more PIC. GOOD DEAL.

You are low time and you want a fast track to a dream job major airline. VERY VERY few make it. There really isn't much shortcutting in this industry. That's thinking you can upgrade without a pink slip, and not get a letter in your file or a suspension or terminations. Remember no union, so that means no job security and no seniority for upgrade or bases. Compare...

Where are Colgan guys with PIC going. Few with connections to good companies. MOST go to ANY larger jet operator. Gemini, Allegiant, World, NorthAmerican, Cassino airways, etc, etc,...

Then after being there years they get lucky and make a career out of it, or move on to there dream job major.

Where are guys at Express Jet, Air Wisconsin, Republic etc. Might have taken them a year or two more to get the PIC, but they get there in senority order, they have some termination protection, they make more money, they build PIC jet, they fly to more than 6 cities, their airplane has an APU, they get 401K, they are TRAINED, they don't get memo's that end with "or you will be terminated"

Tell me how many guys flying a E170 or CRJ900 have application with Gemini or Omni Air International?

Answer NONE.

There is no SHORT CUT. Crappy regional FO to a crappy regional capt to a crappy big Jet operator, to a crappy big jet operator Capt, to a FO at Continental Airlines. Thats way to many starting over and moving. Thats if everything goes perfect. Or Express Jet FO... 5 years later.... Continental FO. If not at leat your at a good place to WAIT for the hiring to begin.

But yes a few do make the initial company change to a good major, but those have been at Colgan for 5+ years. Thats a long time to be here, and just think if the risk doesn't payoff. Now what the hell you going to do?

I will restate. Colgan is an excellent place to go for a short period of time. Just my opinion and take it as that.

heywatchthis said:
Colgan is a good deal for a VERY short period of time. Are you very low time and need some TT to get on with your favorite RJ operator. GOOD DEAL then. You have good TT and connections and need more PIC. GOOD DEAL.

You are low time and you want a fast track to a dream job major airline. VERY VERY few make it. There really isn't much shortcutting in this industry. That's thinking you can upgrade without a pink slip, and not get a letter in your file or a suspension or terminations. Remember no union, so that means no job security and no seniority for upgrade or bases. Compare...

Where are Colgan guys with PIC going. Few with connections to good companies. MOST go to ANY larger jet operator. Gemini, Allegiant, World, NorthAmerican, Cassino airways, etc, etc,...

Then after being there years they get lucky and make a career out of it, or move on to there dream job major.

Where are guys at Express Jet, Air Wisconsin, Republic etc. Might have taken them a year or two more to get the PIC, but they get there in senority order, they have some termination protection, they make more money, they build PIC jet, they fly to more than 6 cities, their airplane has an APU, they get 401K, they are TRAINED, they don't get memo's that end with "or you will be terminated"

Tell me how many guys flying a E170 or CRJ900 have application with Gemini or Omni Air International?

Answer NONE.

There is no SHORT CUT. Crappy regional FO to a crappy regional capt to a crappy big Jet operator, to a crappy big jet operator Capt, to a FO at Continental Airlines. Thats way to many starting over and moving. Thats if everything goes perfect. Or Express Jet FO... 5 years later.... Continental FO. If not at leat your at a good place to WAIT for the hiring to begin.

But yes a few do make the initial company change to a good major, but those have been at Colgan for 5+ years. Thats a long time to be here, and just think if the risk doesn't payoff. Now what the hell you going to do?

I will restate. Colgan is an excellent place to go for a short period of time. Just my opinion and take it as that.

Extremely well put. That should be Colgan's hiring slogan. I talk to guys that tell me they came here for fast upgrade so that they can move on in quick. Wow who was pouring the Kool-Aid? These new FO's made bad choices in my opinion. When I got on nobody else was hiring. I wish I went to Expressjet or Republic or Air Whiskey which also in my opinion are the only jet regionals worth anything. As a matter of fact I think I will give up risking my life and career to fly unmaintained 20 year old t-props and take the hit and see about getting on with one of them now. Hey what are you going to do but trial and error right.

well! i have an atp, just not to much over 100 multi, i am going to interview with skywest as well and that would be the number 1 choice (even if it was the e120); however, it never hurts to have a backup to build up the multi.. gotta get out of flying checks ya know. hopefully the qol isn't as bad as its being made out to be, but then any job is what you make it, so if your not happy even your dream job could be garbage.

CoolsideDown, come on now, its not that bad. Your right, the faster you make your lateral move the happier you will be. You should leave and fly a jet and sit right seat for several years. If you are young, below 23, it might not be a bad idea since you can't upgrade for awhile anyway. But if you are here and can upgrade you should. Get some PIC before you bail. What is another 6 months anyhow?
The airplanes I have flown are not bad. They all fly great, sure some have some issues, but it is not as bad as you have said.
I would like an APU for the summer months, but all in all its a great outfit.
If you leave, good luck and if you stay look at the bright side.
don't forget us little prop guys get hired by Southwest jETBLUE, North American and other respectable outfits. It is your interview and personality that gets you hired not the type of blades on your airplane.

Prop2Jet said:
CoolsideDown, come on now, its not that bad. Your right, the faster you make your lateral move the happier you will be. You should leave and fly a jet and sit right seat for several years. If you are young, below 23, it might not be a bad idea since you can't upgrade for awhile anyway. But if you are here and can upgrade you should. Get some PIC before you bail. What is another 6 months anyhow?
The airplanes I have flown are not bad. They all fly great, sure some have some issues, but it is not as bad as you have said.
I would like an APU for the summer months, but all in all its a great outfit.
If you leave, good luck and if you stay look at the bright side.
don't forget us little prop guys get hired by Southwest jETBLUE, North American and other respectable outfits. It is your interview and personality that gets you hired not the type of blades on your airplane.

are you a captain here?
I am and have been for awhile. I already have my 1000 PIC. Two people went to Southwest and one was a woman(nuf said on that) one person went to Jetblue and he was flying Jetlblue jumpseaters for years and made many friends that got him in. North American is a place people go when nobody else calls them for an interview. As far as the planes. If you dont think they are that bad than you are either a FO and your captains dont tell you much or you are a captain who doesnt pay attention and doesnt write up broken planes

Latest resources

Back