• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anti union pilots.....I don't get it.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In my opinion, he has no standing to condemn anyone who rejects ALPA for any reason, whatsoever.

Coming from someone who should be expelled from the Association because of your RJDC activities, that doesn't exactly mean a lot.

I've never said that Pinnacle is the "worst regional out there." Far from it. There are plenty worse. However, Pinnacle is a horrible place to work because of the management mentality. With that said, PCL ALPA does a superb job of protecting the pilots from overzealous managers. The number of jobs/careers of PCL pilots that have been saved by the hardworking volunteers of PCL ALPA is truly astounding. Despite how much I hate PCL management, I would still choose to work at Pinnacle over Skywest any day. The career protection and peace of mind of legal representation is just too important. Having seen the polling results when I was on the MEC at Pinnacle, I can tell you with complete certainty that an overwhelming majority of the PCL pilot group is more than satisfied with their ALPA representation.

Oh my God, it's getting deep in here!

You would chose PCL over Skywest because PCL is ALPA and the job protection is too much to pass up for a non union carrier.

But yet you left an ALPA carrier for a non ALPA carrier. Let me guess, Air Trans management is like no other, and you don't fear losing your job beacause of management ???

You are so full of it, and give ALPA guys a bad name. You spew more BS than any airline management out there.

Talk about a false premise; now who's the Kool-Aidist? Trust between management and workers since the times of Freddie Taylor and before has been contentious, but effective leaders realize that absolute minimalist approaches don't work either. Time and again research demonstrates that job satisfaction, identification, consideration, empowerment, and psychological safety all result in extra-role behavior, commitment, and extra effort; without them you get high attrition, deviant workplace behaviors, poor customer service and strained labor management relations. The last all impact the bottom line, which is what causes management to address antecents; it is not pressure from the unions per se.

Unions don't keep leaders in check by ensuring the bring the pay and benefits off the rock-bottom floor; effective leaders realize the high costs associated with the negative behaviors listed above, and try to strike a cost-benefit balance. Unions arose out of worsening labor-management relations, but some of that was due to the the cavalier attitudes of pilots during the days of individualism (Hopkins, 1970). Don't kid yourself on collectivism: when a unionized carrier's workers face imminent danger, they don't take one for the team--they look out for themselves first. The conflict inherent in drawing craft bounds that signal unique identification ultimately leads to more self-imposed conflict than it does cooperation at the organizational and interairline level (Walsh, 1994). Yours is an interesting premise as well, but full of crap--it appeals to emotion rather than anything empirical or even rational.

I think we see in Southwest an ideal of how well labor-management relations can be under union stewardship; ALPA just doesn't seem to support cordiality and collectivism so much as it does itself as a sole entity.

Read:

Hopkins, G. (1970). The airline pilots: A study in elite unionization. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Press [oh, by the same guy who wrote the Flying the Line volumes]

Walsh, D. (1994). On different planes: An organizational analysis of cooperation and conflict among airline unions.

Most people are happy at SkyWest while most are unhappy at Pinnacle. That alone should tell you soomething.

Last edited:
Oh my God, it's getting deep in here!

You would chose PCL over Skywest because PCL is ALPA and the job protection is too much to pass up for a non union carrier.

But yet you left an ALPA carrier for a non ALPA carrier. Let me guess, Air Trans management is like no other, and you don't fear losing your job beacause of management ???

AirTran is unionized, you dipsh*&. I have union protection. It may not be ALPA, which I would prefer, but union protection is union protection. Skywest pilots have zero protection.

What I am alluding to is the guy who has paid ALPA dues for 20 years and has 4 uniforms in his closet because ALPA failed to protect his career. In most cases the failed career for one was a boon for another.

Is that all he did? paid his dues and put on the uniform..? Of course his expectation are out of wack? What did he do to help? Did he volunteer..? Heck... with the average particapation rates the changes that he went to LEC meetings and voted are slim!

WHERE DO YOU PEOPLE GET THESE EXPECTATIONS!!

All one has to do is look at the history of the industry... ALPA is the white knight... nor has it ever tried to be.. these are only expectations created in ones own mind to justify the apathy and the unwillingness to self govern thier union...

We can scream about bad management, and for the most part, they are bad with few exception. But a lot of ALPA's policies or lack thereof have contributed to the industry we see today. We have regional pilots competing with mainline pilots for flights, airplanes, and jobs. We have regional pilots competing with other regional pilots for flights, airplanes, and jobs. The fact that 90% of them are represented by ALPA means ALPA is two faced when it comes to these things. The independent unions only have one group to worry about.....the group that formed them.

You guys love to fault ALPA for this.. but no one has any solutions...how conveinent...

Rez, Occam, and PCL can scream to the heavens that it is we who control the destiny of the union, but until the union protects those who stick their neck out, there will be no participation.

Great a mexican stand off...

ALPA says: self goevern your career..
the pilot says: no..you do it...you govern my career
ALPA: ..uh..ok..you want ALPA to make your decisions for you. Well at least tell me what you want.. vote and particpate..
Pilot: no.. you guys sucks. I am not doing anything till you do what I want.
ALPA: what do you want
Pilot: I already you told you.. you guys suck...
ALPA: We get it.. we suck.. let's work together to solve the problems.
Pilot: that is IT! I want to decertify ALPA.

Talk about a false premise; now who's the Kool-Aidist? Trust between management and workers since the times of Freddie Taylor and before has been contentious, but effective leaders realize that absolute minimalist approaches don't work either. Time and again research demonstrates that job satisfaction, identification, consideration, empowerment, and psychological safety all result in extra-role behavior, commitment, and extra effort; without them you get high attrition, deviant workplace behaviors, poor customer service and strained labor management relations. The last all impact the bottom line, which is what causes management to address antecents; it is not pressure from the unions per se.

Unions don't keep leaders in check by ensuring the bring the pay and benefits off the rock-bottom floor; effective leaders realize the high costs associated with the negative behaviors listed above, and try to strike a cost-benefit balance. Unions arose out of worsening labor-management relations, but some of that was due to the the cavalier attitudes of pilots during the days of individualism (Hopkins, 1970). Don't kid yourself on collectivism: when a unionized carrier's workers face imminent danger, they don't take one for the team--they look out for themselves first. The conflict inherent in drawing craft bounds that signal unique identification ultimately leads to more self-imposed conflict than it does cooperation at the organizational and interairline level (Walsh, 1994). Yours is an interesting premise as well, but full of crap--it appeals to emotion rather than anything empirical or even rational.

I think we see in Southwest an ideal of how well labor-management relations can be under union stewardship; ALPA just doesn't seem to support cordiality and collectivism so much as it does itself as a sole entity.

Read:

Hopkins, G. (1970). The airline pilots: A study in elite unionization. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Press [oh, by the same guy who wrote the Flying the Line volumes]

Walsh, D. (1994). On different planes: An organizational analysis of cooperation and conflict among airline unions.

Valid points...understanding is the basis for change and effectiveness...

Great a mexican stand off...

ALPA says: self goevern your career..
the pilot says: no..you do it...you govern my career
ALPA: ..uh..ok..you want ALPA to make your decisions for you. Well at least tell me what you want.. vote and particpate..
Pilot: no.. you guys sucks. I am not doing anything till you do what I want.
ALPA: what do you want
Pilot: I already you told you.. you guys suck...
ALPA: We get it.. we suck.. let's work together to solve the problems.
Pilot: that is IT! I want to decertify ALPA.

A perfect re-creation of the typical ALPA debate on this board! This is exactly how ridiculous you anti-ALPA zealots sound. Wake up and take control of your careers and your union, and stop sitting on the sidelines and whining.

Unemployment?

How about unemployment expereinces at union companies that went out of business? Does that make one pro-union or anti-union?

Last edited:
You make the assumption that all management is bad and all unions are good, niether of these statements is inherrently true.

How about unemployment expereinces at union companies that went out of business? Does that make one pro-union or anti-union?

Are you implying that those union companies went out of business simply because they were unionized?

Latest resources

Back