• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Annoying things your CA/FO does, 2011 version

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I award you for you honesty and understand your reasoning. But for every action there is an opposite reaction. I am assuming you are a Captain. Yes, having the gear down is important and yes we do have many, many backups in helping us remember to put the gear down. But with you putting your hand on either the gear handle or flap handle when the FO has not called for it makes that person feel like you are micro-managing which can lead to different problems down the road. It slowly creates anymosity and slowly but surely the FO will no longer have your back.

So you might be thinking, well it is my darn airplane I want the FO to fly it how I want it flown. True statement, but then why don't you just fly every single leg and let the FO do all the pilot monitoring duties.

There's this new concept called, "communication".

"Hey skipper, I see you put you hand on the gear knob. Should I take that as a hint?"

"Not at all. It's just my own little memory aid."

Understanding reached. Misconception gone.

There's this new concept called, "communication".

"Hey skipper, I see you put you hand on the gear knob. Should I take that as a hint?"

"Not at all. It's just my own little memory aid."

Understanding reached. Misconception gone.

You've got to be joking me.

1. The guy was probably joking/being sarcastic.

2. If you think you need to put your hand on the gear handle 20 out as a "memory aid", you need to find another career. What the heck else are you unable to remember to do? Not to mention the aircraft is equipped with horns, checklists, and another crewmember which would prevent you from having to behave like a fumbling idiot in the cockpit.

Had a Captain that farted once. He thought it would be funny to turn off the ventilation when I flew cargo. I can still smell it after all these years.

I award you for you honesty and understand your reasoning. But for every action there is an opposite reaction. I am assuming you are a Captain. Yes, having the gear down is important and yes we do have many, many backups in helping us remember to put the gear down. But with you putting your hand on either the gear handle or flap handle when the FO has not called for it makes that person feel like you are micro-managing which can lead to different problems down the road. It slowly creates anymosity and slowly but surely the FO will no longer have your back.

So you might be thinking, well it is my darn airplane I want the FO to fly it how I want it flown. True statement, but then why don't you just fly every single leg and let the FO do all the pilot monitoring duties.

Truer words have never been spoken on this board.

Gen X'ers were born in the 1960 '70 and no later than 1982. SoI think you mean Generation Y. These guys are from about the mid '70's to early 2000's. They can be recognized with hair-gel, backpacks, ipod's, sunglasses in the terminal, and a disdain for their job unless they get a trophy at the end of the day..
Yeah, what's up with the attitude that seems to say, "this job is SO boring"? You can hear it in their voice when they check onto a frequency, make a brief, or call for anything, as if it just killed them to be required to do something. Lighten up and enjoy life and your job!

Latest resources

Back