Annoying things your CA/FO does, 2011 version

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey dumb dumb.

Let it be known I COULD hand fly the entire flight. That not the point. When I hand fly the other guy has to watch my every move. Altitude, heading, speed...you get the idea. With the AP on he can relax and monitor like he should.

And the difference between "watching" and "monitoring" is what, again?

Hand fly to 1K to 10K or so and turn the effing auto pilot on. It's easy and professional. If you need to practice hand flying to the flight levels then you have a problem and should just resign. Otherwise man up and turn the AP on and give the other guy a much needed break. After all, he's been flying with you for 5 days...

Since monitoring a hand-flying pilot induces so much additional stress on you, perhaps you should be the one to resign. God forbid you have to fly an airplane with a deferred autopilot, skill & ability notwithstanding the stress just might cause a heart attack.

The other guy hand flying induces just as much stress on me as anyone else. I have to watch everything.

When the AP is on I can stand down and relax a bit. I can fill out paper work, crack open a Coke, and look outside. I'm not suggesting pilots shouldn't fly. I hand fly through 10K every now and again. But when you're setting 29.92 and still hand flying it's a bit much.

AP deferred? No problem. I can do it. But that's not the point. It's a pain in the arse when an AP is deferred and that's why. Everyone has to focus...intently, when the AP is off. If you are doing that past 15k or so just to get you're rocks off at the other guys expense then that would be a valid complaint in my book.

I would argue that with a pilot hand flying, there is less need for the NFP to monitor. So many people get complacent with the autopilot on, at least with one pilot you have one pilot intensely monitoring the airspeed, altitude and course rather than checking their schedules on their lap top or letting the aircraft get to slow in icing.

I would argue that with a pilot hand flying, there is less need for the NFP to monitor. So many people get complacent with the autopilot on, at least with one pilot you have one pilot intensely monitoring the airspeed, altitude and course rather than checking their schedules on their lap top or letting the aircraft get to slow in icing.

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard

It always irritated me when someone would turn the autopilot off descending out of 10,000' because it increased my work load, but I never understood the thinking of taking away the FD too and trying to be super pilot. Sure some people can do a respectable job flying that way, but I have yet to see one be able to do it and look out the window, not to mention the close calls with heading and altitudes.

When you're old enough to be let into a bar on an overnight, resist the temptation to order an appletini and get a domestic beer. Follow these simple rules and you may have a chance of not being seen as a pretentious prick.

Conversely, your order makes you look like a redneck, unsophisticated Fox News viewer. Personally, I'll take pretentious and sophisticated.

Hey Barkeep,
An appletini, heavy on the apple, light on the tini for Fubi because it's sophisticated and a PBR for Mr. Wu so it won't make him look pretentious! :beer: :rolleyes:

PBR is good stuff and looking at the end of my post that you quoted I would expect fishfu**er to order an appletini and a cappuccino :beer:

I guess the old saying is true...you can't buy class......

Seriously, chiding a guy for his choice of alcoholic beverages? How old are you guys---12?

:rolleyes:

It sounds to me like most of the people on here defending hand flying are fo's and most of the people it annoys are captains. If you want a relaxed trip try not to do things that annoy most captains. If you want to hand fly the whole trip after you upgrade go for it. I am sure everyone who does it thinks they do a good job but it almost never looks like that from my seat. Use the flight director and AP above 10. Also it is not a 172 so don't try to trim it for hands off. Every time you let go of the controls to check it and the airplane moves one way or the other and you have to jerk it back really impresses everyone.

Latest resources

Back