Annapolis the movie?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MAGNUM!! said:
You flew F-111's. There is nothing cheesier than that....

OK, I'm sorry I flipped you the bird when I blew your doors off that time I passed you at Red Flag.

Andy said:
Dude, in order to get that kind of landing ground roll, they went into reverse thrust while airborne. At that point, there is no option to go around.
And 15 feet is a tight margin. They're lucky that the Forrestal didn't lose the control tower. What was the CNO drinking when he ordered those tests, and where can I get some of that?
I guess that I should ask Dave 'I'm a Navy SEAL' Griffin; he sounds like he's got the inside scoop on what to drink to be completely delusional.

Andy;

I know we are all thankful that you and the 'reduce risk at all costs' AF Puke decision making process was not the prevailing mentality when we were engaged in critical but dangerous endeavors such as the development of Naval Carrier capabilities pre-WWII, the Apollo space program or any time we have had to make difficult decisions knowing that there was a chance that some of our guys/gals might not come back.

That's why your great and revered Hog drivers have been all but been abandoned by the AF, CAS is too dirty and too dangerous. That's why the weak-sister air superiority guys who run the AF don't like getting below 10,000 AGL, when things get a little too dicey for them.

DaveGriffin said:
Andy;

I know we are all thankful that you and the 'reduce risk at all costs' AF Puke decision making process was not the prevailing mentality when we were engaged in critical but dangerous endeavors such as the development of Naval Carrier capabilities pre-WWII, the Apollo space program or any time we have had to make difficult decisions knowing that there was a chance that some of our guys/gals might not come back.

That's why your great and revered Hog drivers have been all but been abandoned by the AF, CAS is too dirty and too dangerous. That's why the weak-sister air superiority guys who run the AF don't like getting below 10,000 AGL, when things get a little too dicey for them.

Dave, it's better to keep your trap shut and have everyone think you're an idiot than to open your man-pleaser and confirm it.

Ask Yeager and all those dudes who flew the century-series fighters how safe it was. Further, I like my Hog bros, but I don't think anyone "reveres" them. And it's painfully obvious you know very little about modern CAS operations wrt to the USAF.

Didn't take long for this thread to turn into a my Jet blast is bigger, badder than yours....

So much Type A, some much testosterone... Where is a calm cool female B-52 pilot who can do needlepoint while delivering nukes when we need one....

Whether we like it or not, we are counting on guys like you to save us from the world...

Last edited:
MAGNUM!! said:
Dave, it's better to keep your trap shut and have everyone think you're an idiot than to open your man-pleaser and confirm it.

Ask Yeager and all those dudes who flew the century-series fighters how safe it was. Further, I like my Hog bros, but I don't think anyone "reveres" them. And it's painfully obvious you know very little about modern CAS operations wrt to the USAF.

Magnum;

Yeager was a different breed from the current-day AF 'reduce risk at all costs'. It would be great if we saw his type again today. Too bad his type in your leadership structure is gone.

Don't delude yourself. Reassigning the A-10's mission to the F-16 is a major mistake. Ask any Grunt on the ground what has the greatest effect on the bad guys: a Hog screaming in at treetop with the DU guns roaring or a prima donna F-16 puke releasing a JDAM from stand-off. Regardless of your desire to be a hot sh*t CAS guy, you can never provide the same level of support as the A-10.

The Gunships and their crews are great. There just aren't enough of them.

The AF Pukes are too focused on air superiority and dropping bombs from 30,000 ft. The war is on the ground.

P.S. When I said the Hog pilots were 'revered', I meant by the guys on the grond, not by Pukes in F-16s.

Last edited:
DaveGriffin said:
Magnum;

Yeager was a different breed from the current-day AF 'reduce risk at all costs'. It would be great if we saw his type again today. Too bad his type in your leadership structure is gone.

Don't delude yourself. Reassigning the A-10's mission to the F-16 is a major mistake. Ask any Grunt on the ground what has the greatest effect on the bad guys: a Hog screaming in at treetop with the DU guns roaring or a prima donna F-16 puke releasing a JDAM from stand-off. Regardless of your desire to be a hot sh*t CAS guy, you can never provide the same level of support as the A-10.

The Gunships and their crews are great. There just aren't enough of them.

The AF Pukes are too focused on air superiority and dropping bombs from 30,000 ft. The war is on the ground.

P.S. When I said the Hog pilots were 'revered', I meant by the guys on the grond, not by Pukes in F-16s.

Hey Navy Puke, I'm a big fan of the A-10. However, based on some of your observations, I think you don't really understand how CAS is done these days.

A JDAM does more damage than a 30mm round, no way to dispute that. A 500lb LGB does more damage than a 30mm round. An AGM-65 does more damage than a 30mm round. I spent 3.5 years doing Operational Test on active duty. I can assure you we are not more focused on air SUPREMACY than on dropping bombs (from all altitudes, by the way). We don't have to focus on air-to-air...we own it. The focus on all future combat ops for the USAF is air-to-ground. Why do you think we slapped JDAMs on the Raptor?

Prima Donnas? In the F-16? Do you know any F-16 pilots? Ever worked with 'em? Flown with 'em? I'm all for giving other platforms sh*t, but I think you actually mean some of this stuff, and I think you actually believe it.

There are missions for the Hog and for the Viper. And while the GAU-8 is a great tool, the A-10 employs more effective CAS weapons.

Latest resources

Back