Annapolis the movie?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Merlin'05 said:
While not nearly 90 degrees--not even remotely close--it was AT LEAST 60. Take the 90 degrees as a tanker wide fish story--it did happen, but not that big. 60 degrees is still pretty hardcore with a -135 and Buff in contact, especially with the BUFFs roll control. I haven't heard if the tanker and receiver went into the bank before or after contact, but either way must have been killer for the reciever.

There are photos in contact at 90 degrees. I don't have one, but they are out there.
But if you like, it's all BS. Just like that fish story about Tex Johnston rolling a KC-135. Heavies can't exceed 30 degrees of bank without falling out of the sky.

Andy said:
There are photos in contact at 90 degrees. I don't have one, but they are out there.
But if you like, it's all BS. Just like that fish story about Tex Johnston rolling a KC-135. Heavies can't exceed 30 degrees of bank without falling out of the sky.

Yes, I must eat crow on this one. I was mistaken. A couple hours before reading this (I just got home), I had some people describe the maneuver in better detail. What I thought happened during the maneuver and what really happened were two different things, and the picture I saw at 70 degrees and thought that was the extent was also not the whole picture.

So, yes, they did go 90 degrees. :0

Tweetdrvr said:
This is how my B-52 Aircraft Commander explained it to me back in my previous life as an EWO. For all the AF guys, it is just like doing wingwork or close trail in a T-37/38/6.

Kind of...but not really. AR in the BUFF was different (I'm sure the other heavy dudes that refueled can attest) because of the wingspan. We had to fight the tendency to get into a lateral PIO due to the wing vortices from the tanker banging down on our wings. If you got off to a side, the vortices would push you the other way which could lead to some over-correcting.

I guess "Annapolis" sucked. Thanks for the intel.

Latest resources

Back