Anderson to align capacity with demand

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GL,

I know it seems counter intuitive, but you might be bumped less. Now that there is talk of a substantial MD bid on the south side, perhaps the idea of spreading the pain out through the system instead of focused on each side may result in less disruption.

I understand the argument on displacements vs. awards, however if an early combined bid also included some base realignment awards we might do a whole lot less musical chairs. Don't forget there are no freezes on any displacements so if we absorb the 742 displacements it's just that many more north pilots open to bid on any future positions. But then again there are so many senior north pilots on NB equipment as it is, they'll probably take any all the WB slots as soon as there are awards any ways.

Between the PRIP which is primarily of interest to senior north pilots, and the implementation of BP5 I think the actual number of displacements will be relatively minor which would negate the arguement for an early bid.

Personally I think you guys have more to worry about right now than we do.

Again, we are adding most of the flights back in March that we are cutting in the Fall. Doing anything pre-SOC for the company is a concession, and we won't get anything for it. Ed and Richard may get bigger bonuses, though. If they are forced to train a lot of people and that is expensive, maybe they will change their minds and do something productive, like routing trips through hubs instead of displacing people. That may be cheaper. We can suggest it, though. No concessions for NOTHING.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General, even with the 747-200 pull down the DALS side is far more overstaffed than the DALN side. The staffing increase coming to the North side will help absorb alot of the freighter pull down. displacements are happening and coming from both sides regardless as they realign everything.
I don't have the numbers but I'm willing to bet you that DAL-N is or will be just as or more overstaffed then DAL-S. 747-200 pilots and all of your instructor pilots are looking for equipment to fly!
I'd venture to guess that's roughly 450 pilots.....

I don't have the numbers but I'm willing to bet you that DAL-N is or will be just as or more overstaffed then DAL-S. 747-200 pilots and all of your instructor pilots are looking for equipment to fly!

They have to convert to our workrules, though. That will mitigate at least a certain amount of those guys.

Again, we are adding most of the flights back in March that we are cutting in the Fall.

Management can't see beyond the end of the next quarter let alone what they're going to do a year from now.

Whoever you and acl65pilot are talking to in bid production have no idea which way the economy is going to break.

Management can't see beyond the end of the next quarter let alone what they're going to do a year from now.

Whoever you and acl65pilot are talking to in bid production have no idea which way the economy is going to break.

Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner folks!

Unfortunately not all of us have access to that DAL-S Kool-Aid they are serving up down there.

Evidently that is some strong stuff!

I think that is the point of my pessimisim. I am a half full guy, but I am not bullish on any of this.

They have a plan for next year and it is showing +450 for staffing already for Spring 2010. That is not good at all.

I do not see us keeping our planned capacity for summer 2010 anywhere near where the plan is. Why? Because you cannot add that many seats and charge much for them. We need to get pricing power back before we even talk about adding seats.

The guys making the plan have clearly stated that long term forecasting is not worth much these days. Why? People are not buying tickets three to six months in advance. More like a week to two. Three tops. It means that all of these computer models that we have do not tell us jack. It is a best guess, I assure you. I am not trying to diminish that point.

DAL wants to keep staffing positioned to move when the economy turns. Many people think late 2010 at the earliest. I personally think by what I am seeing it might be some time in mid to late 2011 before we really see any justifiable movement in the GDP and or unemployment rate.

Yes, I am pessimistic. Plan accordingly. (Planes are full but that does not mean jack. We just readjusted our forecast to 0-2% margin before one time items. To me that means 200 million plus in losses this quarter!)

Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner folks!

Unfortunately not all of us have access to that DAL-S Kool-Aid they are serving up down there.

Evidently that is some strong stuff!

The article stating the discontinued flights also had reinstatement days. A lot of them were March 27th, FWIW.

Not that it matters, from "cq" last week, 200 on the north side, 800-1000 on the south side, no furloughs, too much $$$$..

Of course written in Jello

Not that it matters, from "cq" last week, 200 on the north side, 800-1000 on the south side, no furloughs, too much $$$$..

Of course written in Jello

That is what they say. I just cannot believe that when we are 1200+ pilots fat, we are not going to adjust staffing!
What this before or after Thursday's announcement??????

<====looking for a very fat category to take the winter off and lay on the beach!

That is what they say. I just cannot believe that when we are 1200+ pilots fat, we are not going to adjust staffing!
What this before or after Thursday's announcement??????

<====looking for a very fat category to take the winter off and lay on the beach!

Well, maybe if you keep putting it out there and posting it enough 24/7 as you have been dedicated to doing, they'll determine that the pilots are already resigned to that happening and won't put up a fight.

Perhaps your efforts would be better spent working for your union to prevent this, rather than trying to manipulate public perception and instill Fear, Uncertainty, & Doubt on public message boards ala Ford & Harrison board regulars. (They're the only ones with the time to post all day and all night every day to accomplish this goal...NO line pilot currently employed ANYWHERE in June ALREADY has a schedule THAT clear)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back