• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anderson to align capacity with demand

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's like saying had it not been for the large number of early outs at Delta you would not hold the seat that you hold.

It is what it is regardless of how it came to be.

You're right that it is what it is and just like during the contraction post 9-11 the category lists will start to resemble a stove pipe.

As for the seat I hold now, I'd have held it with or with out the early outs that ended nearly 4 years ago. Of the 3000 retirements between 2001-2005 all but about 300 were either on LTD, not in the top of the list or would have retired at at age 60 prior to 12-2007.

Prior to SOC only. Those displacements off the 747-200 pre-SOC have no freeze, nor do those that get caught up in the waterfall displacements.

In short, it's a DAL-N problem only until SOC, and then it's everyone's problem. Again the logic for a pre-SOC position award, especially if there is an AE, will cause less impact than a far larger number of relatively senior unfrozen DAL-N displacee's. Never mind dispalcements, we will own a lot of AE and VD activity. I'm still betting on an early position bid....

The big difference is that a DALN displacement pre SOC will not displace any DALS pilot from his seat. DALN pilots displaced due to the parking of your aging 747-200 fleet will have to wait until there are openings to bid DALS equipment. Since there are proportionally more senior DALS pilots than DALN pilots and that disparity will grow larger with the PIRP and over time, I think it's a little premature to say that DALN will "own" the AE's.

FDJ2 - Sir, you must really be senior because that is the only part of the list that remotely resembles what you are typing. For the rest of us, yeah NWA owns our jobs.

You would agree that the award in no way resembles status quo and was not even designed to. It was designed to give NWA pilots a significant bump for their anticipated future attrition, NOW. They will use this super seniority and the bottom two thirds of the Delta list will pay a tremendously high price in the loss of status quo. There will be plenty enough aircraft movement to enable this bidding.

Do you disagree?

You are exactly right about the stove pipe. The problem is that many of us never applied to fly DC9's out of Detroit and would not have left our previous jobs to be a part of it. In my case, my spot is surrounded by NWA furlough bypass pilots. I'll be forced to perform flying that they figured sucked so bad they did not want the job.

As for protecting Delta pilots for four to six months, only a few senior Delta guys care. The rest of us would like to get on with the business of moving, figuring out a commute, or finding another job. It is what it is and we are not getting any younger.

Last edited:
FDJ2 - Sir, you must really be senior because that is the only part of the list that remotely resembles what you are typing. For the rest of us, yeah NWA pretty much owns our jobs.

You would agree that the award in no way resembles status quo and was not even designed to. It was designed to give NWA pilots a significant bump for their anticipated future attrition, NOW. They will use this super seniority and the bottom part of the Delta list will pay a tremendously high price through the loss of their status quo.

Do you disagree?

You are exactly right about the stove pipe. The problem is that many of us never applied to fly DC9's out of Detroit and would not have left our previous jobs to be a part of it. In my case, my spot is surrounded by NWA furlough bypass pilots. I'll be forced to perform flying that they figured sucked so bad they did not want the job.

You are correct about the junior positions at DAL gonna take it in the shorts for a while. I am a bit surprised at this, but about 80% of the junior guys I fly with commute and EVERYONE of them stated that they will bid over to bigger equipment at DAL-S as soon as they can. I figured they would want to be at a higher % on a bidlist but I guess they want the $ and easy trips.

You are correct about the junior positions at DAL gonna take it in the shorts for a while. I am a bit surprised at this, but about 80% of the junior guys I fly with commute and EVERYONE of them stated that they will bid over to bigger equipment at DAL-S as soon as they can. I figured they would want to be at a higher % on a bidlist but I guess they want the $ and easy trips.

Heyas RT,

I mostly agree. There will be enough "churn" in all kinds of positions post-SOC for DAL-N guys to bubble up to all kinds of better paying positions.

Another blow will be to the junior DAL-S haven of NYC, where junior DAL-S guys could bid up if they were willing to put up with issues of NYC. BUT, everyone on the DAL-S side assumed there was going to be this mass stampede to ATL. They failed to realize there is a LARGE group of fNWA guys from the old NYC and BOS bases that commute to DTW, and those guys are pretty senior. They'll flock to NYC in droves, enjoying ER flying, an easier (or nonexistant) commute, and be at the top of the list due to relative seniority differences.

Sigh, the DAL MEC sold their side that the SLI was an "equitable deal" because they thought a few years of stagnation would lock out NWA guys from DAL metal/bases. After a few years, the NWA retirements would kick in, and it wouldn't matter.

They weren't planning on 800+ displacements on the south side. When those positions start to get refilled, a lot will go to redtails.

For the south guys, don't hold it against the fNWA guys for bidding those positions. We took it in the shorts on future attrition...bidding bigger equipment NOW is the only way to try to break even.

Nu

Last edited:
Nu, FDJ2,

There are a couple of ways this can play out. Let's not forget that DAL is controlling DAL-N staffing now. They want minimal movement until post-SOC and avoid multiple training cycles per pilot when they can do one. They also need to get pilots into equipment and position ASAP after SOC to realize merger synergies.

The most desirable option would be to get enough PRIPS where there is no need to mess with the formula until after SOC. Barring that, If they were to determine (they know already) the base and equipment shuffles are going to be, they could open an AE for those positions now, and cross bid for post SOC training. No DAL-S pilots get bumped as a result of the -200 we just move the process up for openings that DAL-N pilots could bid post SOC. It will certainly mitigate inevitable DAL-S surpluses as a result of the Atlantic draw down as well. As ~~~^~~~ said, let's just get it over with.

If DALPA does not want to play ball, that leaves the Co. with the option of actually displacing those remaining -200 pilots and all the events it will generate. But since they are essentially playing against themselves, why bother? They could simply over staff a couple of categories with pilots on paper, awaiting training, and then let them wait until the first position bid after SOC and then train them. It would be money well spent over flooding the both school houses with unnecessary training cycles.

What I do not envision is two separate large displacement bids, to churn the lists of both groups, only to do it again, just to postpone the inevitable because some think the "stars upon thars" of the 767 are shinier than the ones on the 747-200.

Do any of you guys really think the timing of the 767 reductions are unrelated to the freighter closing? Something tells me that when you guys might be looking at considerably more displacements than DAL-N an early position bid tied with base realignments might start looking a little more attractive.......

Last edited:
Heyas RT,

They failed to realize there is a LARGE group of fNWA guys from the old NYC and BOS bases that commute to DTW, and those guys are pretty senior. They'll flock to NYC in droves, enjoying ER flying, an easier (or nonexistant) commute, and be at the top of the list due to relative seniority differences.

Nu

NYC is all theirs!! :)

Heyas RT,

Sigh, the DAL MEC sold their side that the SLI was an "equitable deal" because they thought a few years of stagnation would lock out NWA guys from DAL metal/bases. After a few years, the NWA retirements would kick in, and it wouldn't matter.

They weren't planning on 800+ displacements on the south side. When those positions start to get refilled, a lot will go to redtails.

For the south guys, don't hold it against the fNWA guys for bidding those positions. We took it in the shorts on future attrition...bidding bigger equipment NOW is the only way to try to break even.

Nu

How did you take it in the shorts with future attrition?? A measly few 787 deliveries was supposed to fix that. You get all of the growth DAL had on deck.....Cry me a river.

How did you take it in the shorts with future attrition?? A measly few 787 deliveries was supposed to fix that. You get all of the growth DAL had on deck.....Cry me a river.

and the attrition has nothing to do with the 787 ;) attrition is coming regardless, growth is subject to change as we are all seeing right now.

Heyas RT,

Sigh? What is this "sigh" B.S. nuguy? Is that what the DAL MEC sold us on?.....You read their minds? I suppose in spite of their best efforts to keep NWA pilots down it all backfired in their face, right? Undoubtedly DOH (but, somehow, without the ten year fences) would have been a much more fair solution.....here's something for you to chew on...savor the taste and digest it well my obnoxious friend...my DOH equivalent at NWA is 2950 numbers junior to me!.....but....sigh.....that's OK because the NWA guy next to me on the list was hired 61/2 years before me, and is 4 years older... don't get me wrong though, I really like NWA guys like you.....(since Dec. 9, 2008!!!:laugh:)....Looking forward to all those NWA retirements!!!!cheers!:beer:

Please have a little pride in your original airline...here's a napkin to wipe off the drool from your chin....

Latest resources

Back