Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Del Rio is a hard airport to operate into even in good weather. Especially coming in from the south. Short runway, poor lighting and non precision approaches. A part time military approach control. While they are reasonably good for the most part, they are more oriented to dealing with the military trainers at the AFB.

It is a favorite airport for the freighters and the like because of cheap fuel and laid back customs.

While the regs MAY be tightened up in the upcoming review of Part 135, I do not expect it to be tightened to the degree that may on this thread would like to see or expect. I have seen this before. This part of the industry is way too varied to have regulations as set in stone as Part 121 is. In fact the current changes to Part 135 have loosened some of the requirements.

While training does enhance safety to a large degree, training is not a substute for good judgement and experience. Both of these can be learned, but they take time. Unfortunately the sterile enviroment of the large training academies has taken a great deal way from the young pilots of today. They are not allowed to walk around the shop and watch the mechanics at work or ask them questions. They get school procedures and answers to all the problems. They are very restricted in what they do during the lessons and are not allowed to vary too far for the path. The lawyers and accountants have taken over the management of pilot training and these young pilots are being refused the opportunity to fill their individual bag of tricks up. These bags of tricks are lessons that we as pilots have learned over the years, generally due to some mistake we made and survived. Usually early in our career and usually a simple mistake. Sometimes they were mistakes our insturctors allowed us to make and used as a training tool. Something that seems to have become unacceptable behavior on the part of an instructor these days.

135.3C

Training under 121 standards is an option for 135 Turbo jet operators, and in my preivous post I detailed our Training Program at USA Jet. Based upon my experience in military training, training can do alot to make up for lack of experience. At 400 hrs TT I was flying the P-3 at night IFR low level patrols up and down the coast of Vietnam, and doing it safely. You train to make in advance as many decisions as possible, set tight standards, inspect on a frequent basis, and continuely enforce your SOP, to the point of downgrading pilots who want to do their own thing. When pilots are not given this training it is a managment failure. In the long run the extra money spent in traininig is a good investment.

Enough is enough

After reading regular replies to this post over the past few weeks, I know there are many of you who hate the company. I worked there for 2 years, and was ready to get out. My reason for wanting to leave was simply the lifestyle change. Sure, I had a couple emergencies in-flight, but that can happen anywhere. I never felt my life was in danger at any time due to the equipment I was flying.

Now, let`s get to the facts. After reading the preliminary report, how can any of you say that Ameristar is at fault for this crash? Those guys simply screwed up bad. REAL BAD!!!! I actually feel that after Lisa is well again, the feds are gonna have a justible reason to get the paddle and administer some serious corporal punishment. Ameristar`s equipment, and or maintenace have nothing to do with what happened. They were high, hot, and touched down with very little runway remaining while going off of the end at a high rate of speed. I have no idea who`s leg it was, but I had flown with the Captain many times. He was a very safe pilot, and I can`t see why he let this happen. They screwed up bad end of story.

In closing I would like to say that if all of you Ameristar, Cherry Air, USA Jet, Grandaire, and all other on demand pilots want to have this pissing contest over who`s organ is the largest, just remember this. You are all in the same boat, you all have terrible schedules, sucky lifestyles, and fly old equipment. Nothing is glam about any of these jobs whatsoever, but we all want to be in the same boat. Whether that boat is the airlines, corporate, etc..... Some of us will end up flying for the same companies, and if we can`t all get along on a pissy message board, we will have probs in the workplace.

Last edited:
^^^ what he said :)

P.S. 135fr8r...you sound oddly familiar ;)

Hey if any of you Ameristar pilots wants to help a fellow pilot and take my resume in pleeease PM me. I am dying to work for Ameristar. ( I guess different perspective on seeing the company)

Scube.

dude...3 year old thread...

:puke:

If I were you Id worry more about where you are going to work after USA Jet closes its doors. Say anything you like about Ameristar...but just remember that A) our Falcons arent grounded and B) our doors arent closing.

I can't believe its all that much better at Ameristar. You guys also, from what I hear, have parked some aircraft. In the past your company has copied everything USA JET has done. Example- Lears, Falcons, DC9, and passenger aircraft. I sure hope you have your resume updated as well because its only a matter of time now!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back