• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Am I Just a Giant WIMP?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While i agree with you gear guy the regs that we use are severely outdated. At the time of writing planes flying above 410 was looked upon as going into outerspace. Now 450 is the new standard and the V and X routinely operate above 450. Especially on long legs like the 550 does.

When was the last time a X or a 550 had an explosive decompression? I just looked up for the last 10 years and all the planes that came up as a decompression were airliners and turboprops. Not long haul business jets.

Diesel you can probably speak to this, cause I heard certain aircraft (Gulfstreams in particular) are exempt from the O2 regs because they will auto descend in a loss of cabin pressure situation. Maybe this is something that should be standard on all new aircraft capable of +FL410. In this new era of sky high fuel prices flying at higher altitudes can mean a significant savings especially at the fractional level where there are large fleets involved. Many people I fly with stay at or below 410 simply to avoid putting on the mask. I too think it is an outdated reg but knowing the FAA pigs will be flying (under their own power) before it ever gets changed.

LD, good luck in your job search (back on topic).

The reg is not outdated because the bodys requirement for O2 has not changed. The plane may auto descend, but for those of you who have not been through it are in for a big rude awakening if you think you will just wake up at 10,000 feet, feel great and land the aircraft. You will be very lucky if you survive.

When I was in Premier initial a guy in my class had experienced an explosive decompression in the high 40's with the mask ON and he was still briefly incapacitated.

"it does not happen on business jets" is a very deadly assumption in my opinion.

When was the last time a X or a 550 had an explosive decompression? I just looked up for the last 10 years and all the planes that came up as a decompression were airliners and turboprops. Not long haul business jets.

In that case, I will no longer bother with sim training. What a waste of time that is. I mean, when was the last time you had a V1 cut? The fact that it hasnt happened to a bussiness jet in 10 years should be praised. However, it is not a time to swell up with pride and assume that we are now invincible. Therefore, I stand behind the regs and the science that proves it.

Qantas just had an explosive decompression.

MANILA, Philippines — A Qantas flight en route to Australia from London made an emergency stop in Manila on Friday after a loud bang punched a hole in the Boeing 747-400's fuselage, officials and passengers said.
There were no injuries, but some of the 345 passengers vomited after disembarking, said Manila International Airport Authority deputy manager for operations Octavio Lina.
In a statement from Sydney, Qantas confirmed the hole in its fuselage and said it was being inspected by engineers.
A report by the Manila International Airport Authority quoting pilot John Francis Bartels, said an initial investigation indicated there was an "explosive decompression." There were no details.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau said QF30 made an emergency descent from 29,000 feet to 10,000 feet.
Lina said the cabin's floor gave way, exposing some of the cargo beneath and part of the ceiling collapsed.
"There is a big hole on the right side near the wing," he said, adding it was 2.5 to 3 yards (meters) in diameter.
Passengers who talked to the media at the airport described hearing an explosion and then oxygen masks were released.
/**/
"One hour into the flight there was a big bang then the plane started going down," passenger Marina Scaffidi, 39, from Melbourne, told The Associated Press by phone from Manila airport. "There was wind swirling around the plane and some condensation."
She said the hole extended from the cargo hold into the passenger cabin.
"The plane kept going down not too fast, but it was descending," Scaffidi said, adding the jetliner was over the South China Sea when the staff informed passengers they were diverting to Manila.
"No one was very hysterical," she said.
Australia's Herald Sun Online quoted passengers as saying the plane plunged 20,000 feet after a door "popped" during the flight.
Michael Rahill, 57, an architect from Melbourne, said the bang sounded "like a tire exploding, but more violently."
The passengers were taken to several hotels while waiting for another plane to Melbourne, said an airline officer who declined to be identified because he wasn't authorized to talk to the media.
Chief Superintendent Atilano Morada, head of the police Aviation Security Group, said his officers, including explosives experts, may assist in the airline's investigation.
"So far, they don't want us to touch it, so we will respect the aircraft owner. But we will make our personnel available if they need assistance in the investigation," he said.

Stay below FL410 please... I enjoy the smooth air, lack of weather, being able to use wrong altitudes for direction, less strong winds going westbound, \ as well as getting direct anywhere I want to go while cruising at FL450!

So I take it no one on here has flown jets under 135, where the mask needs to be on above 350?

yeah, I heard they make 135 pilots put on the mask at 350 b/c they are slower than corporate guys. Just kidding.

Latest resources

Back