• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Am I Just a Giant WIMP?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay LD, first off I am very sorry about you being laid off, however, it happens to all off us who have been in this field of endeavor. It has happened to me many times.

First you must understand it is not personal. It just happens.

Now I have a couple of serious questions to ask of you. I'm doing so here on a public forum because of past statements you have made here and on the "other" site.

Say I contact you for an interview. In this supposed company we are operating aircraft that mission requirements require you to operate the aircraft to the maximum of its operational range, which requires you to operate above FL410, possibly to include FL510.

Would accept this type of mission profile for a good, stable well paying job?

Oh, one more thing, no Legacys in the flight department, nor will there be, ever.

No matter your answer, I wish you good luck.

Okay LD, first off I am very sorry about you being laid off, however, it happens to all off us who have been in this field of endeavor. It has happened to me many times.

First you must understand it is not personal. It just happens.

Thanks for the well-wishes. I am sure I will land on my feet--I always have--even if it is somewhere other than flying. Better to be lucky or blessed than good I guess.

Now I have a couple of serious questions to ask of you. I'm doing so here on a public forum because of past statements you have made here and on the "other" site.

Say I contact you for an interview. In this supposed company we are operating aircraft that mission requirements require you to operate the aircraft to the maximum of its operational range, which requires you to operate above FL410, possibly to include FL510.

Would accept this type of mission profile for a good, stable well paying job?

Oh, one more thing, no Legacys in the flight department, nor will there be, ever.

No matter your answer, I wish you good luck.

My answer would be "No." There's no such thing as a stable flight department, either. I discovered that the hard way firsthand.

Thanks to everyone for their input, kind or otherwise. It has been helpful.

Last edited:
Wait, LD you'd turn down a job because you don't want to go above 410? Is that correct?

Wait, LD you'd turn down a job because you don't want to go above 410? Is that correct?

This has been beaten to death.

I will summarize.

I realize many pilots choose not to wear a mask above FL410. I am not one of those pilots. I have and will operate at any altitude in accordance with the regulations. I have gone above FL410 numerous times but always WITH a mask ON MY FACE. That is only good for so long though because they flat out are uncomfortable to me.

So, if I'm expected to fly above FL410 for an extended period I am simply not going to do it any longer than I can stand to wear the mask.

That's it.

This has been beaten to death.

I will summarize.

I realize many pilots choose not to wear a mask above FL410. I am not one of those pilots. I have and will operate at any altitude in accordance with the regulations. I have gone above FL410 numerous times but always WITH a mask ON MY FACE. That is only good for so long though because they flat out are uncomfortable to me.

So, if I'm expected to fly above FL410 for an extended period I am simply not going to do it any longer than I can stand to wear the mask.

That's it.

Right on! My Policy Exactly. I have done it many times to clear weather, but the hose was on. It is not a fear issue with me. It is comfort and safety.

I hate is when aircraft range is predicated on cruise in the high 40's. I have had explosive decomperssion and it is NOT funny.

Last edited:
This thread has deviated quite a bit, but I would like to comment on the mask topic. I am kind of tired of pilots being looked down upon b/c they want to abide by the regs in order to provide safety. I realize that many of the regs can be interpreted differently. However, this is as clear as they come. If you want to fly above 410....fine. Wear a mask. If you don't want to wear a mask, keep it below 410. And if a crew member gets up above 350 put it on. There is NO room for macho pilot attitudes. If you have been thru an explosive decompression like 400A and me, you understand the importance of this. Some things just aint worth it folks. We are the only things standing between life and certain death for the pax in a decompression. We owe that to the passengers. Furthermore, some regs are based on misguided fiction. This one happens to be backed up by cold, hard, medical facts and testing.

While i agree with you gear guy the regs that we use are severely outdated. At the time of writing planes flying above 410 was looked upon as going into outerspace. Now 450 is the new standard and the V and X routinely operate above 450. Especially on long legs like the 550 does.

When was the last time a X or a 550 had an explosive decompression? I just looked up for the last 10 years and all the planes that came up as a decompression were airliners and turboprops. Not long haul business jets.

Latest resources

Back