Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Medeco

SQUIB
So I heard another pilot yesterday talking about a way to get back at ALPA for the 401K issue.

Tell me your thoughts.

IF the resolution is passed, we as individuals should tell the company to stop automatically deducting our dues. This will cause ALPA to bill all pilots for there dues.

We send them our normal amount, but not the additional.

This would take a large group acting in harmony to make the point, which is a challenge in itself.

Can this be done?

Medeco

Your suggestion will simply delay the dues... not stop it...

Why not become part of the political process... contact your status reps that 66% of your fellow pilots didn't bother to vote for and tell them how to vote....

I know self government is a challenge... but hey... it's YOUR career.... :)

Last edited:
I have taked with some reps.

It appears that they may vote against it, but that doesnt mean it will stop it.

I'm all for participating in the process the correct way, but if they dont listen to a large portion of dues paying members saying DONT DO THIS, then a protest of sort may be a good wake up call.

Thank you for your input.

Medeco

If the reps don't vote the wishes of the pilot group, recalling them would be a much stronger statement then a "protest" like this.

If the ASA reps vote no and it still passes, that's democracy in action. You don't move to Canada after your chosen presidential candidate loses, right?

Last edited:
So I heard another pilot yesterday talking about a way to get back at ALPA for the 401K issue.

Tell me your thoughts.

IF the resolution is passed, we as individuals should tell the company to stop automatically deducting our dues. This will cause ALPA to bill all pilots for there dues.

We send them our normal amount, but not the additional.

This would take a large group acting in harmony to make the point, which is a challenge in itself.

Can this be done?

Medeco

Yes it can be done and if it is done by many people it will cost ALPA more than they are getting in this misguided move......

I would suggest however that you withold ALL dues, not just the 401k amount....In either case you will go into bad standing and the union will exercise the Agency Shop clause....However that process will take time and you can write a check and come current after they start to come after you.....If large numbers of people do it, it will take up much ALPA resources to go after everyone....

Another thing you can do to send a message is to write your comments on the ALPA PAC postage paid envelopes that come in the ALPA magazine....Don't send any money....just constructive comments......

People aren't saving enough for retirement as it is...to take money that was set aside for retirement is shortsighted.....

If the reps don't vote the wishes of the pilot group, recalling them would be a much stronger statement then a "protest" like this.

If the ASA reps vote no and it still passes, that's democracy in action. You don't move to Canada after your chosen presidential candidate loses, right?

Democracy can be dangerous....and yes at some point a revolution is called for....

People aren't saving enough for retirement as it is...to take money that was set aside for retirement is shortsighted.....

Look, I don't like this proposal. I'm not a rep, but I've made my views clear to the reps (as everybody should!). If they need to raise dues, they need to do it across the board. I hope it doesn't come to that though.

However, it doesn't take money set aside for retirement. It just makes you pay a little more in dues. Just like how when your medical premiums go up you don't put less in your retirement plan... you just pay a little more in premiums.

But you already knew this. You're smart, you just turn everything into a means to advance your agenda. I just like calling you on your BS.

Look, I don't like this proposal. I'm not a rep, but I've made my views clear to the reps (as everybody should!). If they need to raise dues, they need to do it across the board. I hope it doesn't come to that though.

However, it doesn't take money set aside for retirement. It just makes you pay a little more in dues. Just like how when your medical premiums go up you don't put less in your retirement plan... you just pay a little more in premiums.

But you already knew this. You're smart, you just turn everything into a means to advance your agenda. I just like calling you on your BS.

If some is going to set about X amount of money for retirement, then yes it does reduce how much they will put away......Part of that X will now go to Herndon instead of to the 401k.....

It's like the people who say this isn't a dues increase...it most certainly is if you participate in the 401k and your airline doesn't have a retirement plan....

For some people who don't have much extra income, they reduce what they put into retirement when other costs go up....including health insurance or union dues....

We need to encourage more 401k participation and not less...This country isn't preparing for retirement and Obama isn't going to solve that problem.....

As for your last snide remark, would you care to tell me what my "agenda" is? We all have "agendas" and we all try to advance them....I suspect you have no idea what my "agenda" is.....While we're at it, what is YOUR agenda?

Latest resources

Back