• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

All My AWA Friends Remain Calm....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Now the vote is in, USAPA is the bargaining agent at LCC, and, let me quote you grog, "the West group gets to play the part of the East group."

Dude, it was sarcasm. What the "H"? I go away for a trip and my whole thread gets wasted.

Let me reset.... Everyone remain calm. Plug into AWAPPA and as for USAPA, watch for their response after the merger gets announced on Friday....

That has to be agreed upon between USAPA and company.... I believe...

Exactly.

Unions have been using that little hand shake with management for years to keep 'outlaw' members from getting too far off the leash.

Don't you think it would behoove USAPA to use it?

There should be no criticism of USAPA for exercising controls that all other 'union shops' use as it is considered standard.

You don't pay union dues in a union shop...eventually you will lose your job.

If the "west" don't pay dues to USAPA, then they won't have the opportunity to vote for or against the next contract....then again...that might take another 3 years.

AWA is in Sect 6 negotiations, USAPA is obligated to bring out their golden negotiators and negotiate on their behalf, regardless of membership status. And they have to get the ball rolling on joint negotiations. And they have to defend themselves against the inevitable lawsuits, and they have to begin processing grievances for the west (sure to number in the thousands, just to show their appreciation) regardless of membership status, and they have to defend the current AWA contract and represent the west pilots in any disciplinary action, regardless of membership status, and they have to staff all their committees and the west committees, and just to top it all off, they have to vote on every single item and do it all with absolutely no money nor any hope of having money (why any easty will pay when they see the west getting a free ride?).

Boy, I'll be Bradford wishes he had kept his big mouth shut, eh?

AWA is in Sect 6 negotiations, USAPA is obligated to bring out their golden negotiators and negotiate on their behalf, regardless of membership status. And they have to get the ball rolling on joint negotiations. And they have to defend themselves against the inevitable lawsuits, and they have to begin processing grievances for the west (sure to number in the thousands, just to show their appreciation) regardless of membership status, and they have to defend the current AWA contract and represent the west pilots in any disciplinary action, regardless of membership status, and they have to staff all their committees and the west committees, and just to top it all off, they have to vote on every single item and do it all with absolutely no money nor any hope of having money (why any easty will pay when they see the west getting a free ride?).

Whether you were pro USAPA or pro ALPA (at this point it doesn't matter)...not fostering your airline's union at this point will guarantee Airways' demise (my opinion).

Although now that the merger dance has officially begun...who knows. One thing for sure, if another legacy 'merges' with (read acquires) US...both Easties and Westies will not be happy with the final SLI.

There are some who claim that the elimination of a major player will give the relief necessary to prevent the big merger dance.

Will it be 'The New US airways'?

You don't pay union dues in a union shop...eventually you will lose your job.

the point is...... there is no agreement btw. company and USAPA.... so why should a Westie pay dues to USAPA.

he is calling himself 'interim'

I'm not talking about a union contract, I'm talking about United States labor law. It is illegal for a company to show disparity of treatment towards their employees.--->Happens all the time in this country...some companies even promote those they feel are better employees than others. So called "Favorite sons" are permitted to get away with more then the "less favored"...don't tell me you've never seen that They are not permitted under law to terminate employees that are guilty of the same offense on their own schedule.--->The terminations don't have to take place all at once...now, they can send a notice to all of the employees in question at once If 1800 pilots are guilty of the same "terminable offense," then the company must fire all of them at once if they fire just a single one.--->Once again, they can send notice to all of them...and start the proceedings with a few so that the word gets out to the remaining group just exactly what can happen. I've seen this happen at ALPA carriers in dealing with those who did not pay dues/assessments...not one of the pilots in question cited any obscure labor law...they made arrangements to pay up.

Besides...who cares? This is nothing more than an internal family squabble...let them work it out amongst themselves. They really don't need your or my help.

I think the difference is that those delinquent pilots had an incentive to get back into good standing: keeping their good-paying job out of jeopardy. That same "good job" doesn't exist if you allow yourself to get stapled.

The fallout from whatever happens as a result of this squabble running it's course is far more threatening to the east than the west in many cases. The west pilots are younger than the average east pilot and can reasonably expect to rebuild at least a portion of their careers with a subsequent carrier. The east will be left kicking the smoldering pieces of the crater that was USAirways still smug that at least they got rid of ALPA.

Whether you were pro USAPA or pro ALPA (at this point it doesn't matter)...not fostering your airline's union at this point will guarantee Airways' demise (my opinion).

USAirways is, for all intents and purposes a non-union airline, and many of the pilots consider it as such.

Because of the devisive agenda at the heart of USAPA, and because it cannot begin to provide the level of service ALPA did (there aren't even any greivance forms available, as if there was hope of them being defended) USAPA is an illegitimate union in the eyes of almost all stakeholders at USAirways, save the few ardent supporters who jettisoned reality about 11 months ago. I think the victory had more to do with the inability to recind and change your vote prior to closing (as almost all Ballotpoint votes allow) than it did as a reflection of support for USAPA.

Stephen Bradford delivered the entire US pilot group to Doug Parker on a silver platter and he will no doubt be rewarded handsomely.

Last edited:
keep in mind that while you have to pay something, you do not have to pay the full dues. You can elect to pay only the "administrative expenses" which is only $ for negotiations. For USAPA this number should be very small because they do not have significant overhead and if everyone opts out of paying full dues they can never grow much overhead.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back