Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska offerers 80K to retire is it enough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Which is likely the way "they" planned it.

You never know. We thought very few would take it on the NWA side, and NONE on the DL side (no pension left). It looks like we have 150 takers on the NWA side now, and 7 on the DAL side. Crazy. It wasn't a great deal, especially with the 3 months medical offered. We may get up to 200 total NWA guys taking it in the end, which would be good. Good luck.

Bye Bye--General Lee

can't you just adjust block hours to eliminate furloughs?...54 is not that many...just seems like you can save them. Maybe mgmnt knows that 8oK will get 54 capts to go....good luck

can't you just adjust block hours to eliminate furloughs?...54 is not that many...just seems like you can save them. Maybe mgmnt knows that 8oK will get 54 capts to go....good luck

So far the union hasn't even moved on reducing the block hours, and the early out is only for a maximum of 30 guys.

So far the union hasn't even moved on reducing the block hours, and the early out is only for a maximum of 30 guys.

And the MEC won't move on reducing block hours. They've made that abundantly clear. We furloughees got screwed on our grievance in the last contract, why would they do something now when they can fly 100 hours a month? Let them croak out somewhere over the heartland I say. It'll bring me back that much quicker.....

80K annuity works out to be as good as 100K bonus in the begininng... if you want payments spread out over the rest of your life. The tax laws make the annuity more favorable if you plan on living 15 years past retirement. It ends up being worth more than the 100K buyout after only a few years but the key is a long life. Most guys that fly past 60 will have a lower life expectancy due to exposure flying with PO'd FO's. I doubt 25 guys will take it given they only have 2 weeks to make a life decision. I am glad management took their sweet time planning this one.

Questions for MGT:

Why a minimum of 25?

Why offer this plan so late?

Why is the RBBP closed so early?

Why not offer Voluntary Furloughs continuously throughout the Furlough?

MGTs plan: Offer and early out that will fail. Get the Union to cut the blocks so that a buyout and a downgrade/furlough become unnecessary. That is their goal. It is cheapest and offers the greatest flexibility to the way they want to manipulate our lives and their so-called airline.

And the MEC won't move on reducing block hours. They've made that abundantly clear. We furloughees got screwed on our grievance in the last contract, why would they do something now when they can fly 100 hours a month? Let them croak out somewhere over the heartland I say. It'll bring me back that much quicker.....

Mmmmmm. Young pilots..... Breakfast of champions.

What's the average block up to now? 83 hours? I sure am glad the union did everything they could short of lifting a finger to help us from being furloughed.

I would call the union at Alaska a total waste of time, but that would be an insult to flightinfo.com and light beer.

Latest resources

Back