Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska offerers 80K to retire is it enough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Old School 737

NG's now and it is A OK!!
Alaska offerers 80K to retire! Is it enough to get the min 25 required to mitigate more layoffs? I don't think they will get enough but What The F Do I No?

Dear old timer:

Please go F your self with this $80k buy out.

Sincerely,

AS Mismanagement.

How many pilots do you guys have on the street? More importantly I thought you guys were doing well? Why the furloughs? Have you guys heard any rumors about a merger with AirTran?

What cracks me up is that the minimum participation is 25 and the max is 30. But they need to furlough 80.

In other words, "We at Alaska management want to furlough you."

How is 80K suppossed to entice someone who makes twice that in one year to retire? It's stooopid!

Michael Derchin of FTN Equity Capital Markets has revised his earnings estimates for Q2 and full year 2009, and he now sees AMR and UAL both posting annual losses in excess of $1 billion.
Derchin said the revisions were "to reflect lower than previously expected unit revenues and higher jet fuel prices." He is now expecting jet fuel to cost about $85 a barrel, up from $75 from his previous estimates.
In a report out Tuesday morning, Derchin projects that AMR, parent of American Airlines, will lose $5.20 a share, or just under $1.5 billion. That is significantly worst that the First Call consensus of a $2.25 per-share loss, or his own $2.36 loss before revisions.
For UAL, parent of United Airlines, Derchin predicts an $8.90 per-share loss, or just under $1.3 billion. First Call consensus is sitting at $7.97.
In an interesting note, Derchin sees five of the top nine U.S. carriers losing money, but four of them making money. The five losers collectively would lose $3.85 billion, while the three winners collectively would earn $490 million.
Below is a chart with Derchin's new estimates. The calculations are based on the most recent share counts (diluted) that I could find (net income and shares in millions):
CompanyIncome per shareSharesNet incomeAMR($5.20)280 ($1,456)UAL($8.90)145 ($1,291)US Airways($3.93)132 ($518)Delta($0.39)825 ($322)Continental($2.13)124 ($264)JetBlue$0.20 275 $55 Alaska$2.94 36 $107 Southwest$0.18 740 $133 AirTran$1.41 138 $195
As a side note, the International Air Transport Association said Tuesday that airlines worldwide lost about $3.1 billion in the first quarter, including $574 million among the 22 North American carriers that it included.
"This deterioration was before the recent rise in fuel prices and was due mostly to the fall in revenues, as a sharp fall in yields added to the impact of weak travel and freight volumes," IATA noted

AS is doing fine... 2.94 per share is twice the next best number that is expected at AAI and miles in front of everyone else. Cash and assets this place looks like APPL compared to the rest of this industry. Our management culture here has always been very conservative. I would think it would bee a good time to grow and keep everyone working but that doesn't seem to be the path management is taking.

I would think it would bee a good time to grow and keep everyone working but that doesn't seem to be the path management is taking.

Or at least be in a position to take advantage of other airline's cutbacks. As of 9 am this morning there were 4 (FOUR) F/Os on Reserve in SEA. And they want to furlough MORE guys?

Latest resources

Back