Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This could be a possible compromise:

If SWA does not comply with the CBA and Side letter that they also signed,
the AT transition guys SHOULD NOT be allowed to upgrade starting 1 Jan 2015.

Not great for the AAI pilots on the SWA side of the transition come 01JAN2015, but good for the AAI guys on the other side of the partition...it may keep the natives quiet...

Except for the fact that the "natives" are now comprised of former AT guys on the SWA side and represented by SWAPA. Why should they not be able to hold Captain if their seniority allows it?

I'm not sure why any of you are surprised. I said this almost 2 months ago...
I dont either. There were some of us giving scenarios like this before SL10 was voted on. We were told to basically shut up and color. SWAPULL knows what is best for us.

Listen to yourselves! It just goes to show you how much of a circus this has all become.

The only reasonable compromise then is to to keep the CA upgrade partition in place as long as a 717 flies in AT colors.

The only reasonable compromise then is to to keep the CA upgrade partition in place as long as a 717 flies in AT colors.

Except for the fact that there are already agreements in place that;

a. Allow former AirTran pilots to upgrade on the SWA side according to their global seniority after Jan 2015, and

b. Do not allow a Bump and Flush on the 717 Captain list.

The question is; can SWAPA change these agreements without the agreement of AirTran pilots ? Perhaps somebody with a better understanding of the AirTran agreements can answer that ....

I'm not sure why any of you are surprised. I said this almost 2 months ago...

I called the 717 sale a long time ago and you were shocked.

You also thought AIP1 had to be killed... then you went to Dallas and suddenly it wasn't such a bad deal.

Under the current agreement if there is an AirTran pilot still flying a "white" airplane (that's what swa management calls it), then on 1 Jan 2015 a magic wand gets waved and now that pilot is a SWAPA represented pilot earning SWAPA wages. Remember that was original plan under AIP2. SC is the one who sent out his "victory" message about the 717 leaving early. Like Gary told us, we haven't violated the agreement.

Wishful thinking ... As GC said to the AT guys, "the agreement is in place, it's not going to change." SWAPA will have to live with it as well - the good and the bad.

I called the 717 sale a long time ago and you were shocked.

You also thought AIP1 had to be killed... then you went to Dallas and suddenly it wasn't such a bad deal.

Au contraire mon frer. The first deal was a steaming pile of crap. It just stank less than the 2nd deal done under threat of our careers (which still sucks).

But don't let reality stand in the way of rewriting history. ;)

We should have been allowed to go to arbitration with integration per the Process Agreeement that everyone signed. If we had, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

And no, incidentally, you can't preclude the AAI CA's who can hold it from upgrading come 2015 any more than the guy trying to upgrade now can. It's all there in black and white and I find it more than just a little disingenuous that our 717 CA seats go away and we should just take it, but if the 717's stay past 2015 suddenly SWAPA pilots are entitled to something.

You can't make this sh*t up...

Last edited:
It's a Section 1 scope violation after Jan 1, 2015 I believe. You can appreciate that Lear. We on the SWAPA side signed off on scope relief with this deal and it's all intertwined. Will the sticker idea work after that date? Who knows.

As far as the difference between Agreement 1 and 2, the Airtran guys lost hundreds of thousands of dollars because of the MEC. It should have been voted on by the pilots, plain and simple.

On top of your assertion that it should have gone to arbitration, the AAI MEC tried hard to run out the clock in that regard. We waited day after day for them to decide what they wanted to do. I have the feeling they knew exactly what they were doing, and so did Gary most likely.

The only thing that SWAPA pilots think they are entitled to are Section One protections that we voted on.

Same as getting rid of your Skywest codeshare and the sticker on the AAI 737.

Latest resources

Back