• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran thoughts on Kelly's Disposal of SL10

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't read so much into it....yet. SC is reporting that the company won't meet the timeline for 717 transfers to Delta that was spelled out in SL10. No where did I read that GK also told us to pound sand. Me thinks there is still room for discussions here. Write your reps and tell them what you expect in exchange for a waiver.

Or not....

Since the AirTran MEC letters were posted by SWA pilots, i'll assume that we've already set a precedent-

Hot summer. Hot airplanes. Hot topics.

Since the announcement of the 717 deal with Delta, Gary has made several public statements that have raised questions about the Company's intent to comply with provisions in our Collective Bargaining Agreement. As you recall, Side Letter 10 requires that all AirTran pilots be transitioned to Southwest Airlines, and that the AirTran side of the partition cease to exist no later than December 31, 2014. Effective January 1, 2015 all pilots (both Southwest and Airtran) will be working under one contract; the SWAPA contract will be in effect on that date. All provisions of our contract will apply to the entire fleet and pilot group.

As a result of the Company's agreement with Delta to transfer all but 36 717s by the end of 2014, I sent a letter to Gary asking specifically if their intent was to comply with the contract, and the deadline to complete the transition. Gary responded promptly and confirmed to me that the remaining AirTran aircraft would be transitioned after the December 31, 2014 deadline. To be more specific, he stated it was their "present intent and desire to retain the 717s in the AirTran fleet until they are transitioned to Delta, a process that should be completed by the end of 2015."

I believe it is crucial that our contract is honored; all of it including SL 10. While I certainly believe that we may be able to find a mutually agreeable solution to this complex problem, at this time we are not in agreement and the Company has offered no solution regarding their intent to not comply with SL 10. Our contract uses words like "shall" and "will", not "should" for the same reason the Company used those words in areas where they demand compliance. Absent a membership-ratified solution, the Company must comply with our CBA, to include Side Letter 10.

We felt this matter deserved your attention. Know that SWAPA is exercising diligence in addressing this issue. As developments arise, we will keep you updated in a timely manner.

Fly safe,

XXXX President

Since we are paid 30% less and flying the same routes on the same equipment it was easy to expect this possible problem. Maybe GK will do the right thing, but it is a very attractive carrot for management to have a B-scale. It seems more of a SWAPA problem than an Airtran concern. I bet bag fees are nice and attractive alao.

I wonder how many 737s will be left on the AirTran side after Jan 2015 ....... ?

Latest resources

Back