• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran shifting the role of some of their RJs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Short term viable, but when oil goes up to 100/barrel Tranny wont be able to support the smaller cities

It's going to be a few years before you see that again.

I thought Delta was buying Alaska? Now I hear Alaska is buying Airtran??? :confused:

Inside joke that the 717 guys are the RJ drivers feeding our mainline 737s... Watching some of the industry events that have unfolded over the last 24 months has only increased our resolve to hold the line on this issue.

My only advice is be careful not to talk down or diminish in any way the flying you do at the same time you're trying to defend it. The walls have ears...

And absolutly hold the line, just remember SCOPE is not exactly ALPA's strong suit. Look at what's going on at DAL right now.

Best of luck to you, but our regular fares for the month you start TYS are already $20 lower than your introductory fares. As I'm sure you know, Florida travelers will sell their first-born to save $20 on airfare. Of course, the prospect of landing closer to Disney World may be enticing to many people. There's slightly more to our business model, however, than just going into smaller cities.

While your introductory fare may be lower, a pax on Allegiant still has to pay the booking fee, the baggage fee, the fee for selecting a seat, fee for a soda, etc...

When it's all said and done, AirTran may actually be cheaper than Allegiant. AirTran will also get you much closer to the attractions.

Last edited:
What is the official ALPA policy on scope?

While your introductory fare may be lower, a pax on Allegiant still has to pay the booking fee, the baggage fee, the fee for selecting a seat, fee for a soda, etc...

When it's all said and done, AirTran may actually be cheaper than Allegiant. AirTran will also get you much closer to the attractions.

But the passenger doesn't HAVE to buy any of this. If they want to get the clan down to FL for the cheapest fare, they will go with whoever has the lowest base fare. People will search for hours online to save $10, but they will have no problem plunking down $30 in sodas and snacks while on board. I know it sounds weird, but it's true, and it's the main reason that we're profitable.

And absolutly hold the line, just remember SCOPE is not exactly ALPA's strong suit. Look at what's going on at DAL right now.
The situation at Airtran is a little different. Scope relaxation or a different payscale for a 100 seat aircraft will possibly affect 63% of our pilots as the 717 makes up 63% of our fleet. At Delta, much easier for senior guys to let a few DC-9s get replaced by a few E-170/CRJ900s if they get something in return (better pay, retirement).

At Airtran, you only have to go back 5 years to get to the 50% seniority point. I would imagine at Delta it takes at least 15 years. Tougher for those guys that have been there 15 years to remember where they came from and tend to sell the junior guys down the road more often.

The situation at Airtran is a little different. Scope relaxation or a different payscale for a 100 seat aircraft will possibly affect 63% of our pilots as the 717 makes up 63% of our fleet.
True, but it makes up more like 70 % of our block hours.

Latest resources

Back