• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran shifting the role of some of their RJs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airtran has a special merger agreement with ALPA that allows ALPA national to impose whatever contract they want on the Airtran pilots without a vote. ALPA also negotiated a section in the merger agreement that allows them to shut Airtran down for a month or two if it benefits another airline they represent.

Nobody have a heart attack. He's just kidding!

As for Alaska buying AirTran. Doubtful. I actually heard it was the other way around.

But how could any of this happen given that AirTran is going to buy Frontier and then merge the whole thing with JetBlue.

Ahhh the rumors you hear standing around the Pepsi machine (or Coke machine for you ATL guys).

A 717 captain on the bus said Allegiant is looking like a dance partner for us:rolleyes:

Ahhh starting rumors....kinda like the SW rumor I've heard for the last 5 years.

Nobody have a heart attack. He's just kidding!

As for Alaska buying AirTran. Doubtful. I actually heard it was the other way around.

But how could any of this happen given that AirTran is going to buy Frontier and then merge the whole thing with JetBlue.

Ahhh the rumors you hear standing around the Pepsi machine (or Coke machine for you ATL guys).
AirTran buy Alaska, with what? Do you know how much Alaska is worth? Midwest, ATA gates and slots how did that turn out? Why do so many assume AirTran is buying anyone? Mergers and acquiring other airline assets, hmmm...this management team has not a good track record.

With the amount of money in the bank, Alaska would probable be doing the buying if they wanted. Southwest is not interested in the corporate culture at AirTran. With AirTran's debt load and low unrestricted cash level, I doubt there will be a purchase of Alaska.

Shouldn't pilot contracts within the same "union" be homogeneous?

Therein lies the debate on whether a company that's losing money should pay its employees the same wage/benifits as a company that's making money (or losing significantly less money).

What if one group has industry leading duty rigs, or ironclad Scope? Should they give them up for "industry standard? (As has happened in the past)

Alaska could right a check right now for AAI if they wanted. And they wouldn't even have to get outside financing, even though they would. AAI can not buy Alaska, but Alaska could buy AAI...

...Mergers and acquiring other airline assets, hmmm...this management team has not a good track record...

I thought ValueJet bought AirTran back in the late 90's and kept the AirTran name? Seems to have worked out OK from a growth and profitability angle.

Alaska could right a check right now for AAI if they wanted. And they wouldn't even have to get outside financing, even though they would. AAI can not buy Alaska, but Alaska could buy AAI...
I agree with you bud. Alaska is smaller than AirTran and Alaska has almost 4 times the amount of cash in the bank. If anyone will be doing the buying, they will be doing the buying from Seattle!

Latest resources

Back