• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran shifting the role of some of their RJs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought ValueJet bought AirTran back in the late 90's and kept the AirTran name? Seems to have worked out OK from a growth and profitability angle.
That management team is now running Allegient. This management teams record speaks for itself. It is not speculation, but facts. Did they succeed at getting the 14 Chicago Midway gates and New York Laguadia slots from ATA? Did they, after installing three of their own board members, succeed at acquiring Midwest? The answer, NO!
Didn't say anything about profits and growth over the last 10 years. That has nothing to do with the fact that Alaska has 4 times the cash in the bank than AirTran and the purchase would probable be the other way around if Alaska were interested. Furthermore, the corporate culture is so different, Southwest would probable take a pass as well.

Alaska could right a check right now for AAI if they wanted. And they wouldn't even have to get outside financing, even though they would. AAI can not buy Alaska, but Alaska could buy AAI...

Yep. That $1.1B in the bank does a lot of talking.

Best of luck to you, but our regular fares for the month you start TYS are already $20 lower than your introductory fares.

Of course they are. Have you seen your paycheck? Have you seen your own payrates? F-ing regional pilots make more. You'll always have lower fares. It's pretty easy math.

We all just hope you don't grow to national size so there's more pressure to make this career officially that of a 21st century truck driver.

Of course they are. Have you seen your paycheck? Have you seen your own payrates? F-ing regional pilots make more. You'll always have lower fares. It's pretty easy math.

We all just hope you don't grow to national size so there's more pressure to make this career officially that of a 21st century truck driver.

Who's WE......the 12,000 pilot's with resumes on file at Allegiant? It will be interesting to see how the point to point works out for AAI, in Allegiant markets. NW tried to compete directly with AAY in the midwest and could not make it work. My guess is aircraft utilization at Air Tran is twice what it is at Allegiant and it probably has to be to have any hope of generating a profit (new airplanes vs. owned airplanes....It's pretty easy math). As I understand it this is what killed the NW experiment, the inability to deploy airframes the way Allegiant does and make it financially viable. That and pilot compensation!

You better hope fuel stays low or our Next Gen 737s will have a lower total CASM than your MD-80s even with your $70K year Captains. It is one thing for you guys to run legacies out of leisure travel markets, it is another thing for you to compete with Southwest, Airtran, or Jetblue. Why did you guys pack up and run so fast in SWF when Jetblue and Airtran started service there a few years ago?

You better hope fuel stays low or our Next Gen 737s will have a lower total CASM than your MD-80s even with your $70K year Captains. It is one thing for you guys to run legacies out of leisure travel markets, it is another thing for you to compete with Southwest, Airtran, or Jetblue. Why did you guys pack up and run so fast in SWF when Jetblue and Airtran started service there a few years ago?

You sound sure about that! When the cost of fuel was high how many fuel efficient aircraft did you sell or delay delivery on? Allegiant took delivery of airframes and was profittable when oil was $147 a barrel. Air Tran? That 737NG payment buys alot of gas for an MD-80! If Air Tran's goal is to compete directly with Allegiant in order to steal market share they will be successful....you are right Alllegiant will not stick around and fight. That is part of the strategy that has made AAY a profitable airline! My point is Air Tran, like NW willl have a hard time doing it at a profit. Isn't that the point! I know the TYS market did not work out to well the first time around for Air Tran.....and like many of the smaller markets you service, I don't think these new markets are going to be subsidized by anyone! Well maybe your management! By the way how is SWF these days...have not been there in a while?

Nothing bad to say about Allegiant or it employees, and it obviously (for the time being) must have a sound business plan, but the payrates there are shameful. At this juncture, I would leave aviation, or sit tight working at my mediocre regional job before taking that kind of pay for a 150-seat jet. But with that kind of pay, does the contract have facets contributing to great QOL?

Latest resources

Back