• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran MEC Chair message.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Apparently you aren't familiar with agency shop provisions in a CBA. Yes, if they don't pay their dues, the contract says they get fired. ALPA takes it seriously. Freeloaders are not allowed to go unchecked.

ALPA takes it seriously? Serious enough to let a bunch of scabs back in.:rolleyes:

I know they can be fired but what really happens is a different reality.

Who fires them? ALPA or southwest. I don't think belonging to a union is a requirement for the job. Maybe they lose their spot on the seniority list, but who will enforce it?

ALPA sends a letter to the company informing them that they are required to terminate the pilot's employment for failure to pay dues. If management refuses, then it goes to an expedited arbitration, and the arbitrator orders the pilot terminated. Generally an arbitrator isn't necessary, though. The company tells the pilot that he's going to be fired, and he pays up.

ALPA sends a letter to the company informing them that they are required to terminate the pilot's employment for failure to pay dues. If management refuses, then it goes to an expedited arbitration, and the arbitrator orders the pilot terminated. Generally an arbitrator isn't necessary, though. The company tells the pilot that he's going to be fired, and he pays up.

Of course you can be fired for not paying dues. Those Mercedes S classes and filet mignon dinners at Herndon aren't free!

Is this standard language in contracts for the airline industry? Apparently it is in ALPA contracts does it apply to SWAPA? Hopefully it does.

Who fires them? ALPA or southwest. I don't think belonging to a union is a requirement for the job. Maybe they lose their spot on the seniority list, but who will enforce it?

You do not have to be an ALPA member. But, you do have to pay a maintenance fee to the union. There are ways not to pay the fee like getting kicked out of the union.

How come that is the Only expedited arbitration in our contracts? This "expedited arbitration" thing should be for everything! Employee violates ALPA part of contract .... Expedited termination. Company violates contract... Dragged out process that may or may not end up in arbitration three years after violation.

Is this standard language in contracts for the airline industry? Apparently it is in ALPA contracts does it apply to SWAPA? Hopefully it does.

Yep, it's standard. FedEx didn't have it until 2006, and they were the last big hold-out. There may be some regional carriers without it, but I can't think of any off of the top of my head. SWAPA's contract does include agency shop, and last I heard, there were no non-member at Southwest at all. I'll hand it to SWAPA, that's a great accomplishment.

I filled out the online SWA app around the middle of my furlough. I updated it a few times while still on furlough. I got recalled in Jan. 2008 and a call to interview from SWA in late spring/early summer 2008.

If you think I'm lying, that's your prerogative. I really don't care. The point is that there are airlines other than SWA that people are happy to work for and where it is fun. I'm sorry that some people just can't understand or accept that.

Who cares???

Latest resources

Back