• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran in CASS charging 25.00

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like it or not, AirTran charges jumpseaters, it's that simple. The first offline guy is free, the rest are supposed to pay.

Pre 9/11 we had THE most open js policy, bar none. We would take ANYONE with an ID badge and a commercial pilots license. Then management of this airline came up with a way to make money off of commuters.

The fact of the matter is, we charge for what we used to consider, and every other airline still considers, "jumpseating".

Call it a walk up pass if it makes you feel better, but it is what it is.

Side-Stick- You are required to show a pilots license and medical as a condition of purchasing this BS walk up pass. As such you'd better be prepared to introduce yourself to the capt. and present your ID, medical and certificate, as per our FOM. I can guarantee you, failure to do so will result in you being removed off any flight I'm operating.

Like it or not, AirTran charges jumpseaters, it's that simple. The first offline guy is free, the rest are supposed to pay.

I can guarantee you, failure to do so will result in you being removed off any flight I'm operating.

My, my... aren't we full of ourself. I'll keep this in mind if I ever get 2 Airtranny jumpseaters traveling together. Thanks for the heads up and way to start jumpseat wars. Silly me thought we were all colleagues extending a professional courtesy.

BBB

This is why I didn't want to even get into this crap. You want to call the policy BS but still act like you're giving something to the jumpseater/pass rider/ what ever you want to call it.

How about this Captain. IF I ever need to JS on Da Tranny and the jumpseat is taken, I'll find another way cause there's no way in hell I'm asking for a ride that I've got to pay a single dime for. Nor will I ever expect an OAL non-rev, that pays any fee, to do the same on any flight I'm operating. I may be the Captain but if I have nothing to do with giving it away for free, you don't owe me a thing. In fact, if you pay anything for the flight, you are now a customer and paying part of my salary. Therefore, I owe you a "Thank You".

Classic case of Captainitis.

Side stickn.. Get over it.. It is what it is.. If you don't like it, don't ride on AAI.. But I have to agree with Ty (something I don't do).. The more guys like you who biatch about it, the more the AAI guys are gonna say "fugg you".. Guys like Dornierpilot are the ones who are gonna help get the policy changed.... Guys who appreciate the ride but know the policy sucks.. The policy sucks, but for a long, long time, it was far better than UAL, DAL, AAR, and all the others who only allowed one jumpseater.. At least at AAI you had the chance to decide if you wanted to pay $25 to get a ride vs. $50 for a sleazy hotel room.... Now, AAI's policy is behind the others and it needs to change.. Just like the others have.. Quit being part of the problem and try helping..

Last edited:
My, my... aren't we full of ourself. I'll keep this in mind if I ever get 2 Airtranny jumpseaters traveling together. Thanks for the heads up and way to start jumpseat wars. Silly me thought we were all colleagues extending a professional courtesy.

BBB

Didn't think I came off that way, if you knew me, you'd know I'm not "full of myself"

Either way, you're still jumpseating, which was the point of my post to begin with. I doubt you, or anyone else on this board, would consider jumpseating without stopping by the cockpit before taking your seat.

Pre 9/11 we had THE most open js policy, bar none. We would take ANYONE with an ID badge and a commercial pilots license. Then management of this airline came up with a way to make money off of commuters.

The fact of the matter is, we charge for what we used to consider, and every other airline still considers, "jumpseating".

Call it a walk up pass if it makes you feel better, but it is what it is.

Side-Stick- You are required to show a pilots license and medical as a condition of purchasing this BS walk up pass. As such you'd better be prepared to introduce yourself to the capt. and present your ID, medical and certificate, as per our FOM. I can guarantee you, failure to do so will result in you being removed off any flight I'm operating.

My G*D! You're the Captain of a DC-9, not the Concorde. You really need to get over yourself. What would you prefer, the money or the ego stroke? I don't think too many people are interested in giving you both.

PIPE

I have jumped on Da 'Tranny several times and have not had to pay the 25 bones yet, including a few times w/ multiple jumpseateaters. Seems to me if your nice to the gate agents they will bend over backwards to get on without paying the 25. Da 'Tranny got me home this past Saturday w/ 2 jumpseaters and I didn't pay a dime, so take that for whats it worth.

How about this Captain. IF I ever need to JS on Da Tranny and the jumpseat is taken, I'll find another way cause there's no way in hell I'm asking for a ride that I've got to pay a single dime for.

That is certainly your choice.

Our company policy says you will show credentials or you will not ride, and personally I think this policy sucks, but they didn't ask my opinion when they instituted it.

Try jumpseating on a Legacy carrier without stopping by the cockpit and see where you end up.

Captainitis? GMAFB. If you have balls enough to walk past the cockpit on your way to your seat, I'll have the balls to toss your ass off. I'd expect any captain, at any airline, to do the same.

I could care less if you ever ride on us as a jumpseater or otherwise.

All I can say is thanks to all AT guys I catch a ride with to and from work. I've been charged a few times for the JS (all in ATL) and every time the Captains have offered to take money out of their wallets to pay me back. Every pilot I've talked to hates the rule and cant wait until its removed.
If your going to complain about $25, then find another ride and quit bashing AT pilots for a rule that is not their fault.

Tell Delta Ty sent ya!

My G*D! You're the Captain of a DC-9, not the Concorde. You really need to get over yourself. What would you prefer, the money or the ego stroke? I don't think too many people are interested in giving you both.

PIPE

I can't believe you'd pass on a chance to come up front and tell us how you feel, Pipe . . . you wouldn't just pay your money and just go sulk in the back and cry about it to the pax and F/A's . . . . right?

Certainly, you'd be a real man, and take the opportunity to introduce yourself and speak your piece, instead of ducking in the back, and then later whining about it on an anonymous message board, r i i i ggghhhttttt????? . . .:rolleyes:

And I'm with -9Capt and just about every other AirTran Captain I know here when I say if I see you in the back, and you didn't come up front first . . . . you will definitely be getting your lousy $25 back and your happy ass can ride on Delta. Tell 'em Ty sent ya. . . . and have yourself a nice day . . . . somewhere else.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back