• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran in CASS charging 25.00

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
a $25. pass beats a $48. room at the Wellesley every time.

Ty, Check out the Clarion, you'll never stay at that flea Wellesley bag again.

Jumpseats are free but you have to pay a service charge to ride in the back, Big Friggin Deal! They might get it changed but in the meantime ride someone else if you can't pony up the smack.

Years back I got kicked off many United, American, Delta and USAir jumpseats because one of their line pilots showed up at the last minute and booted me from the airplane. I even had some pilots elect to take their own JS just to save their own service charge boot me from the plane a few minutes before departure and not even say they were sorry. I would have loved to have paid a $25 service charge to get on the flight.

ATA has always had the most liberal JS policy around, we believe in leading by example. I'm most thankful for SWA because since they are the 800 lb gorilla these days, they are most responsible for the JS policies changing in the industry.

In short. Thanks AirTran for the lift, you will not be charged to ride in the back on my plane and maybe someday you will change your policy.

Yoo gotz it!!! Duude, I wuz gonna like do dat cut and like pasty thing thing wit waht yoo wrote an stuff, but I think da peeps wood figgure out dat I aint da duude whoo wrotez it.

It suuucksz dat pilot peeps get chargez to go home an stuff. Aint no peeps want charges and stuff, like ole Ty Guy gettin charges cus a dat girl from L-A-S, yknow yoo called her friggin "Pretty Vegaz" and her buddy , Cwazi-moto chick (cauze she had dat freeky ole eye like lookin at liek both a us at da same time and stuff). I knowz, dude she sayz she wuz 18, judge dude, pleeze go eezy on ole Ty Guy

Duuude, yoo gotza stay wit da more seasoned babes.

Da pilot peeps at da Tranny all be feelin yoo abotz da $$$$$$$$, butz we gladz we can getz lotza yoo peeps to an fro, yeah too and fro, so cmon up and like say wazzup!

Awww Yeahhh!!!

Thanks AirTran!!

Just rode on a jumpseat pass tonight into ATL. The gate agent was great, the crew was extremely friendly and I thought the Recaro seats in back were alot better than the other coach seats I've ridden on.

Just wanted to offer thanks again for the ride!!!

This has been covered many times. There is no charge to ride the actual jumpseat, whether there is one installed, or two. One or two offline jumpseaters will ride accordingly.

If someone else beats you to the jumpseat, and there is an empty seat in the cabin, they will sell you a walk up pass for $25. Period.

We call our "walk up passes" boarding passes and they are free to any number of jumpseaters as long as there are empty seats in the back.

If the crews were really against the policy, it would not exist (i.e. FedEx Jumpseat policy).

If the crews were really against the policy, it would not exist

If you really thought that, then you would certainly say it to our faces when you're requesting a ride, instead of posting it anonymously, like some sort of gutless weasel.

Last edited:
We call our "walk up passes" boarding passes and they are free to any number of jumpseaters as long as there are empty seats in the back.

If the crews were really against the policy, it would not exist (i.e. FedEx Jumpseat policy).
I can not believe I'm actually going to respond to this mess! The CEO of AirTran Airways has implemented this policy. The union has spoken with him numerous times to change this and he has refused. The AirTran pilots don't want this policy. The AirTran pilots have NO control over this policy. If you are the first offline jumpseater, you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY! Some gate agents will charge you if you are a SECOND offline jumpseater. If there is an open seat, you may ride with no problem.
For you and anyone else to get on this board and bash the AirTran pilots for something they have no control over is pretty sad! The jumpseat is a privelage not a right. If the FAA and the TSA had their way, this offline jumpseating would be gone completely! Some of you really need to GROW UP! Yes CONTRACT, you are one of them that needs to grow up. This jumpseat policy is old news and everytime some new pilot tries to catch a ride on AirTran and finds out about the $25 dollar fee, they come running to Flightinfo like some spoiled child whining about this policy! IT is OLD already. Take your complaining and whining and go buy a full fare ticket if you have that much heartburn over this. Ask the Continental employees and Northwest employees how much they have to pay to just nonrev on their own airline. When JL our CEO retires, this policy may change. For now if you are a jumpseater and need a ride and AirTran is at the gate, we would be glad to help you get to wherever you are trying to go. If there is no other offline jumpseater, there will be no charge. But if you are the second offline jumpseater, we still would love to have you onboard. However, just understand some agents may charge you. Now back to my workout for the evening!

Last edited:
Questions:

- If it is a "walk up pass" for non-rev travel do we need to be CASS approved and go through that process?

- What is the dress code if you have no intention of jumpseating but want to use the "walk up pass" feature?

Thanks.

YKW
NO! If you walk up to the gate and there is already a offline jumpseater riding up front on the jumpseat, you don't have to be CASS approved to non-rev travel on AirTran Airways. CASS is so that you may ride on the flight deck if there are no seats available in the cabin. Nothing has changed there.

Our pilots don't like the policy (duh) but complaining to us isn't going to get you anything except sent back up the jetway to get a refund and wait for the next flight.

YGTBFSM. You think I'm gonna come up front and see you if I just bought an off-line non-rev pass? If I'm not considered a jumpseater, I'm certainly not going to ask you for a ride. If I am considered a jumpseater, I'll ask you kindly for a "free" ride home and thank you graciously on the way out.

Sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. The way I see it, the guy buys a pass and you're out of the whole process. Next thing you know, you'll be sending full fare customers back up the jetway for complaining.

Your airline has this policy Ty, so you're just going to have to take some crap for it. Hell, I take enough for some of the things we do. Deal with it just like you think the rest of us should deal with your policy. I can only believe there would be more of a chance for a gate agent to "forget" to charge the extra folk/s if you made the effort to speak up before the flight was boarded.

Latest resources

Back