• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Airline types need not apply"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What G200 says is gold as well, even if he is a putz..... Most of the good jobs are filled with someone with an inside track, friend or friend of a friend etc. :beer:

Regarding getting a type and then bailing - How is that different, from, say, a new hire at DAL that bails after a couple months and then goes to SWA or Fedex? Isn't that the cost of doing business? Yes it may be expensive but are you really going to stay at some employer just because you feel bad about the employer eating the cost? What if you're miserable and don't feel you got the right job?

Regarding the other complaints - I hear those same complaints every day at the airlines. Overworked - check. Xmas and holidays on the road - check. I guess I don't quite see how and why being a corporate pilot would be any different than a comparably paying airline job. Seems we complain about the same stuff.

Honestly, I'm just curious, not trying to start anything here. I appreciate the honest responses. I'm trying to think of any corporate pilots that came to the airlines and whether they had different attitudes than a straight 121 guy, and I can't seem to differentiate - in fact, the ones I know came to 121 simply because their 91/135 job was really THAT bad and the airlines where a much better deal. But I guess, if you land that REALLY GOOD 91/135 job, it beats the airlines any day. Thanks again for a good debate, I am very happy for those of you who bailed from 121 and scored a really good deal in the corporate world.
jeez dude, you really that clueless?

I think it's you, aa73. If you won't wear your airline hat, what else won't you do? ;)

If you need guidance in this area, give me a call. My number is on the APA page.

TC

ETA: 54fighting--LOVE the avatar!

Last edited:
What G200 says is gold as well, even if he is a putz..... Most of the good jobs are filled with someone with an inside track, friend or friend of a friend etc. :beer:

MEAN!!

:crying:

Regarding getting a type and then bailing - How is that different, from, say, a new hire at DAL that bails after a couple months and then goes to SWA or Fedex? Isn't that the cost of doing business? Yes it may be expensive but are you really going to stay at some employer just because you feel bad about the employer eating the cost? What if you're miserable and don't feel you got the right job?

Regarding the other complaints - I hear those same complaints every day at the airlines. Overworked - check. Xmas and holidays on the road - check. I guess I don't quite see how and why being a corporate pilot would be any different than a comparably paying airline job. Seems we complain about the same stuff.

Honestly, I'm just curious, not trying to start anything here. I appreciate the honest responses. I'm trying to think of any corporate pilots that came to the airlines and whether they had different attitudes than a straight 121 guy, and I can't seem to differentiate - in fact, the ones I know came to 121 simply because their 91/135 job was really THAT bad and the airlines where a much better deal. But I guess, if you land that REALLY GOOD 91/135 job, it beats the airlines any day. Thanks again for a good debate, I am very happy for those of you who bailed from 121 and scored a really good deal in the corporate world.

No worries, they're honest questions.

Like 400A alluded to, losing one pilot out of an airline new hire class is a drop in the bucket relative to the size of the pilot group and has limited effect to the bottom line. Losing someone at a corporate flight department of maybe four pilots absolutely guts the staff, forces everybody else to cover for the loss and costs a major percentage of the annual budget to train the replacement. Also, never underestimate the ability of entrenched corporate flight department management to excessively and unfairly stereotype airline pilots, extrapolating a few instances into a blanket prejudice of the whole industry. It isn't fair, but it's the way it is.

In my case, I had four years of corporate flying in the beginning of my career to help with my street cred and a willingness to quit my airline job (not a furlough) to take the corporate position. It didn't hurt that it was a BBJ job and my company had essentially zero experience with the type (the Chief Pilot at the time didn't know a BBJ had the same type rating as a 737).

I think it's you, aa73. If you won't wear your airline hat, what else won't you do? ;)

If you need guidance in this area, give me a call. My number is on the APA page.

TC

ETA: 54fighting--LOVE the avatar!

Crap, did I spell There, They're or Their wrong somewhere :laugh:

What is this "airline hat" that you all speak of? :p

It's that cloth bag you put the lugnuts in when you're changing your tire on the way to work. (AFTER you call CCS to inform them you'll be late for sign in and beg them not to give your trip to a reserve... But, that's another thread. :p )

54fighting--No, you didn't use it wrong. If you had, having that avatar would have guaranteed a $h!tstorm-dog-pile the likes of which have not been seen on this board for some time. :D

TC

Ok. AA73, here's the quick and dirty differences.

If I'm a CA at AA, and I don't want to say anything on the PA or stand at the door and say goodbye to the freight as it exits the airplane, I don't have to.

In corporate, you HAVE to be, first and foremost, a concierge, travel agent, F/A and ramper (hauling trash and dumping lavs--everything!) depending on the needs at the moment. You have to be motivated, self-starting and proactive. You wait for stuff to happen or for the ramp guys in the FBO to do something and you WILL end up looking like a lazy idiot when Mr. Big shows up 15 min. early. The flying is, to the pax, a non-event UNLESS you make it an event. THEN it's a big deal.

At AA, you get 13-17 days off. Free. Clear. If CCS calls, you don't answer. You want to run over to Paris on your 8 day spread between months? Have at it.

At many corporate jobs you get significantly fewer days off. You may not fly much but you can't leave town--just in case. Many operations don't have sick days. (Yeah, I know you're not supposed to fly sick. We all know better...)

These are the basic differences but the corporate job is so much more nuanced that the airlines. It's certainly not for everyone.

Personally, I'm bored to death right now. Flying to "the four corners" with stops through the hubs gets monotonous. Not complaining--I'm happy to have a job but I certainly don't get all tingly 'strapping on the jet' these days.

Corporate is challenging--CONSTANTLY. You must guard against F-ups ALL THE TIME. It's stressful but rewarding--when you pull off a big play and avoid a disaster (Mr. Big never knowing how close he came to seeing chaos...) it's a great feeling. Until the next disaster aversion exercise.

No job is perfect. If you want out of the airlines bad enough, you can pull it off like njcapt did. It will take a lot of work and you will be suspect for a long time but you can do it.

I think a lot of the bad blood comes from airline people who think they want a corporate job but once they get into the job, they just don't like it. Never mind that that individual ran back to the airlines and never set foot in a bizjet again--it's one more story about an airline guy who bailed.

TC

ETA: I will say that while airline guys who bail get a bad rap there are a bazillion examples of corporate guys coming and going but "they just didn't fit in". If you're a corporate guy and you leave a job after a few months, you get a pass. If you're airline, you get slammed. That's just the way it works.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back