• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Airline types need not apply"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm willing to bet that leaving a department for more money does not give them a wakeup call. The management just makes excuses when questioned by the owner.

"He just came here for the rating, Sir. No way to forsee that kind of treachery."

Re: Airline pilots and safety. I will repeat what I've said on this topic before--At the department I was in, there were some pilots who were as good as any I knew at the airlines. There were also problem children who I definitely wouldn't want flying my kids around. At the airlines, there were 20 year veterens who couldn't find their ass with both hands.

There are princes and d-bags galore in both ends of the business.

Generalizing generally fails. ;)

TC

I have been trying to get a certain corporate job for three years; applied three times with a walk in. Nothing. They hire a regional guy who was a friend of the DO/CP. They paid for his type and he bailed at 5 months. So they are angry now and want a 1000 hour guy who will sign a 2 year training contract for 30K a year. I applied again and they said I was overqualified. Very frustrating. I couldnt get a job flying a Baron with 1200 hours but I landed a job flying a RJ. Oh well.

I run a flight department and I would hesitate to hire a life long airline guy. my experience has shown that nost of the guy from the airlines don't understand the fast that flying is only about 20% of what we do. When I asked a retired airline guy to check the experation dates on the juices his response was "doing that is below my paygrade".

I do know one guy that is humble and willing but he was the exception to the rule. I also know there are guys that have been in the corporate world along time not willing to do the things that I do to offer personal service to my boss. My boss has asked me to pick up his dogs on the airport so he could attend a funeral. I am grateful to have a job I feel secure with and would do most anything my boss asks.

Simply put we are flying a hotel with wings and sometimes we have to do things that airline pilots would never have to do. On the other hand, we don't go to Cleveland five times a week. I get to choose my hotel and shoot as many deer as I can on my bosses ranch. I surely don't fit the mold of an airline pilot nor do I expect that some guys don't fit the mold of corporate pilots.

I really do agree with most of what has been said here, hope what I posted wasn't taken as a dig at corporate flying. A lot of really good flight departments and pilots out there.

I still think though anybody who puts that right in their advertisement "no airline" is suspect. Could be they got burned in the past but rather than look at the whole picture including their own operation they just put the blame on some outside evil influence and stigmatize the whole group.

Corporate guys who only work a job a couple months then leave typically DON'T get a free pass - unless their leaving was involuntary, if ya know what I mean.

There are entire other threads dedicated to folks who "grab a rating and run", leaving departments operationally & financially in the lurch, along with the pilot(s) who recommended that person (and sometimes, the manager who hired them) in the crosshairs of whoever the flight department reports to.

Boiler--But the "individual" who has a corporate background who skips can remain somewhat anonymous while an airline guy who skips tars the entire group.

TC

Ok. AA73, here's the quick and dirty differences.

If I'm a CA at AA, and I don't want to say anything on the PA or stand at the door and say goodbye to the freight as it exits the airplane, I don't have to.

In corporate, you HAVE to be, first and foremost, a concierge, travel agent, F/A and ramper (hauling trash and dumping lavs--everything!) depending on the needs at the moment. You have to be motivated, self-starting and proactive. You wait for stuff to happen or for the ramp guys in the FBO to do something and you WILL end up looking like a lazy idiot when Mr. Big shows up 15 min. early. The flying is, to the pax, a non-event UNLESS you make it an event. THEN it's a big deal.

At AA, you get 13-17 days off. Free. Clear. If CCS calls, you don't answer. You want to run over to Paris on your 8 day spread between months? Have at it.

At many corporate jobs you get significantly fewer days off. You may not fly much but you can't leave town--just in case. Many operations don't have sick days. (Yeah, I know you're not supposed to fly sick. We all know better...)

These are the basic differences but the corporate job is so much more nuanced that the airlines. It's certainly not for everyone.

Personally, I'm bored to death right now. Flying to "the four corners" with stops through the hubs gets monotonous. Not complaining--I'm happy to have a job but I certainly don't get all tingly 'strapping on the jet' these days.

Corporate is challenging--CONSTANTLY. You must guard against F-ups ALL THE TIME. It's stressful but rewarding--when you pull off a big play and avoid a disaster (Mr. Big never knowing how close he came to seeing chaos...) it's a great feeling. Until the next disaster aversion exercise.

No job is perfect. If you want out of the airlines bad enough, you can pull it off like njcapt did. It will take a lot of work and you will be suspect for a long time but you can do it.

I think a lot of the bad blood comes from airline people who think they want a corporate job but once they get into the job, they just don't like it. Never mind that that individual ran back to the airlines and never set foot in a bizjet again--it's one more story about an airline guy who bailed.

TC

ETA: I will say that while airline guys who bail get a bad rap there are a bazillion examples of corporate guys coming and going but "they just didn't fit in". If you're a corporate guy and you leave a job after a few months, you get a pass. If you're airline, you get slammed. That's just the way it works.

Excellent post AA. As it has been stated many times for many years, all an airline pilot needs to worry about is flying the aircraft, with most corporate pilots, flying the aircraft is the least of their concerns. A corporate crew can fly across the ocean, transiting multiple lines of thunderstorms, fly an approach to minimums to a strange foreign airport and make a very smooth landing, but if the transportation for the boss is late or the catering was not up to the expectations of the passengers, you're basically screwed.

The fact that all I had to do was fly he aircraft when I was with the US Marshal Service, was about the only redeeming factor of that job.

refuse to shoot a GPS/NDB/VOR approach in Night IMC to minimums at an uncontrolled 4300ft strip.

Nice try. I been doing those for the last 15+ years at my major US airline (GPS Recently). While the strips were more than 4300' long, scaling the length up for the aircraft size including a 440,000 widebody gives the same pucker factor as a bizjet flying into a short strip.

Many were also done non-radar and from the FIR boundary inbound, not "cancel IFR" after landing. The towers were technically controlled, but often by a guys with the same english skills as a leaf blower operator in the USA. Probably paid the same too.

I think we can throw stones at each group all day long. I have to file an ASAP a couple times of year after listening to the guys trying in vain to get an overflight clearance from Havana Center after dropping the preflight ball. It never fails to incapacitate me when the conversation finally ends up with the guy pleading "can't you please take a credit card number?' and the reply is "east or west, your choice to GCM around Cuba".

Generalizations are wrong. Smart hiring will exactly explain the duties involved at the interview. If it's weekend leading edge polishing or checking peanut expiration dates, there should be no questions or surprises on what the job entails.

That being said, it's been 20 years since flying 135/91, but back then there were plenty of people i came across who had some deep insecurity when it came to airline guys.

Excellent post AA. As it has been stated many times for many years, all an airline pilot needs to worry about is flying the aircraft, with most corporate pilots, flying the aircraft is the least of their concerns. A corporate crew can fly across the ocean, transiting multiple lines of thunderstorms, fly an approach to minimums to a strange foreign airport and make a very smooth landing, but if the transportation for the boss is late or the catering was not up to the expectations of the passengers, you're basically screwed.

.....and that is why you can't take any of it too seriously. :)

Departments that blatantly say 'no airline types' scream EGOMANIAC IN CHARGE! At least IMHO...

Sure, places will have turnover whether it's people leaving to go the airlines or return to the airlines or people going to other departments, but in the end, what are the department dynamics? Who hires pilots? What's the compensation package? What is the total package like? What is the department manager like as a leader? What is the chief pilot like to work for? All those things have a HUGE play when it comes to turnover - blaming airline pilots is a copout and a weak one at that.

If you are flying a large cabin bizjet for a reputable company, chances are you won't see that money for quite a while, if ever, at the airlines. Yet, you still may see furloughed airline pilots and even pure corporate pilots take significant paycuts to go/return to the airlines. You have to ask yourself why? The easiest thing is to point the finger and blame others - be it "airline types" or whatever. But is that really why?

Latest resources

Back