• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Airline types need not apply"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Departments that blatantly say 'no airline types' scream EGOMANIAC IN CHARGE! At least IMHO...

Sure, places will have turnover whether it's people leaving to go the airlines or return to the airlines or people going to other departments, but in the end, what are the department dynamics? Who hires pilots? What's the compensation package? What is the total package like? What is the department manager like as a leader? What is the chief pilot like to work for? All those things have a HUGE play when it comes to turnover - blaming airline pilots is a copout and a weak one at that.

If you are flying a large cabin bizjet for a reputable company, chances are you won't see that money for quite a while, if ever, at the airlines. Yet, you still may see furloughed airline pilots and even pure corporate pilots take significant paycuts to go/return to the airlines. You have to ask yourself why? The easiest thing is to point the finger and blame others - be it "airline types" or whatever. But is that really why?

Lotta truth here...

The guy running the department really sets the tone and it can be great....or it can be terrible.

All these owners are rather high mx and thats just part of the gig...but working with/for good people makes all the difference in the world.

Nothing worse than a spineless department manager who wont watch your back, insists on office time, countless stupid meetings, micromangages expenses, etc etc...

Pilots are really pretty easy people. They are willing to work their asses off so long as you treat them well - and its not just money.

Most corp pilots really take pride in doing a good job but a crappy manager can make the entire atmosphere suck.

I've been 91/135 exclusively for over a decade, having never set foot on an airline property. I'm presently in a well-paying pt. 91 flight department as PIC.

The anti-airline types that contaminate this business are, succinctly, hyper-envious, washed-up losers. They suffer from a constellation of failings: some know they couldn't make the cut for whatever reason, others began their careers with a vile contempt for people whom actually fly aircraft (and do nothing else) for a living.

Those among us whom fly the line, so to speak, and feel airline life isn't for them are exempt from this exposition. An honest observer such as myself is forced to wonder, however, why one would avoid the prospect of yearly pay increases, actual time off, professional maintenance, union representation, etc.

Pilots are really pretty easy people. They are willing to work their asses off so long as you treat them well - and its not just money.

Most corp pilots really take pride in doing a good job but a crappy manager can make the entire atmosphere suck.

As usual, you get the big picture.

TC

It's all in the individual . . We hired a bunch of Delta guys that took early retirement in order to save their pensions. I probably flew with 2 dozen of them. They were almost all former 767ER Check Airmen.

I would say that nearly all of them would have been great corporate pilots. They just had great attitudes, were pleasant to work with, and did a great job. They never complained, even though they went from one of the top jobs at Delta to one of the bottom jobs at AirTran (flying FO for yours truly);). Great bunch of guys.

BTW, a crappy flight dept manager can make things suck, but imagine that same guy now screwing things up for 2,000 Pilots . . . That's the airline equivalent. At least at the airlines, the ******************************bag doesn't have your home number.

Last edited:
Lotta truth here...

The guy running the department really sets the tone and it can be great....or it can be terrible.

All these owners are rather high mx and thats just part of the gig...but working with/for good people makes all the difference in the world.

Nothing worse than a spineless department manager who wont watch your back, insists on office time, countless stupid meetings, micromangages expenses, etc etc...

Ditto

I've been out of Corporate for almost 13 years, so I don't feel qualified to speak to the current attitude toward "airline" pilots, but I will say this: two of the three corporate chief pilots I worked for were spineless. I had no problem checking to ensure that all of the snacks were fresh, but I had/have a huge problem closing my eyes while the chief pilot busts minimums because he doesn't have the spine to tell the boss "it ain't happening today Boss".

I've been 91/135 exclusively for over a decade, having never set foot on an airline property. I'm presently in a well-paying pt. 91 flight department as PIC.

The anti-airline types that contaminate this business are, succinctly, hyper-envious, washed-up losers. They suffer from a constellation of failings: some know they couldn't make the cut for whatever reason, others began their careers with a vile contempt for people whom actually fly aircraft (and do nothing else) for a living.

Those among us whom fly the line, so to speak, and feel airline life isn't for them are exempt from this exposition. An honest observer such as myself is forced to wonder, however, why one would avoid the prospect of yearly pay increases, actual time off, professional maintenance, union representation, etc.

Honest observer? Honest observers don't lump everyone into one pile. Neither you nor the person that posted the ad in the OP seem to get it. Your job does not define you.

In all professions you have people that are control freaks, jerks, laid back, friendly and any other adjective you want to use. Whether they are pilots that fly for a major airline or "sanitation engineers", people will have a wide range of personalities.

You wonder why people don't want to go to the airlines? Having been there and left, I can tell you that I don't like being a number. I don't need the union "protection" because I don't do anything to work against my employer. I don't like airlines because I don't like to commute. I don't like airlines because you work a lot more than the typical flight department. I don't like airlines because I don't get to make decisions, I have to follow procedures and profiles that aren't always the best/safest practice.

But that's just me. If you like to just show up, fly the airplane and go home then maybe that's the life for you. I prefer to be involved, develop real relationships with my crew AND passengers/owners and tackle the challenges that come from flying to less than well traveled airports.

Like I said, to each his own.

Ditto

I've been out of Corporate for almost 13 years, so I don't feel qualified to speak to the current attitude toward "airline" pilots, but I will say this: two of the three corporate chief pilots I worked for were spineless. I had no problem checking to ensure that all of the snacks were fresh, but I had/have a huge problem closing my eyes while the chief pilot busts minimums because he doesn't have the spine to tell the boss "it ain't happening today Boss".

wow - busting published mins to get the boss in? no thanks.

Only person I bust mins for is myself. If my cars there (my ride home) mins are adjusted appropriately.

:)

Reckless corporate cowboy with no Union Representation and no SOPS!

Honest observer? Honest observers don't lump everyone into one pile. Neither you nor the person that posted the ad in the OP seem to get it. Your job does not define you.

In all professions you have people that are control freaks, jerks, laid back, friendly and any other adjective you want to use. Whether they are pilots that fly for a major airline or "sanitation engineers", people will have a wide range of personalities.

You wonder why people don't want to go to the airlines? Having been there and left, I can tell you that I don't like being a number. I don't need the union "protection" because I don't do anything to work against my employer. I don't like airlines because I don't like to commute. I don't like airlines because you work a lot more than the typical flight department. I don't like airlines because I don't get to make decisions, I have to follow procedures and profiles that aren't always the best/safest practice.

But that's just me. If you like to just show up, fly the airplane and go home then maybe that's the life for you. I prefer to be involved, develop real relationships with my crew AND passengers/owners and tackle the challenges that come from flying to less than well traveled airports.

Like I said, to each his own.

Well said! I did the airline thing, and have no desire to go back at this time.

Latest resources

Back