"Airline types need not apply"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gulfstream 200 said:
Reckless corporate cowboy with no Union Representation and no SOPS!

Complete ten flight risk matrix forms and say five "Hail ISBAO"s and you're good!

Complete ten flight risk matrix forms and say five "Hail ISBAO"s and you're good!

GOM Review with ISBAO guy...

"100ft"..."check"

"minimums, runway not in sight"...."roger, continuing"..

lol..:)

Honest observer? Honest observers don't lump everyone into one pile.

Nonsense. I never said exceptions could not exist. Themes, however, do exist, and this one is common-enough.

Neither you nor the person that posted the ad in the OP seem to get it. Your job does not define you.

Oh no, I'm afraid I do get it. I get it all too well, as it takes someone of my particular disposition to call these plays as they are. It is axiomatic that one's job should not define them.

In the corporate world, however, the job defines more people than otherwise. I've been made to listen to enough corporate pilot bullsh*t to fill the Grand Canyon.

Example for your consideration:

Corporate drivers arrive at the bar. Banefully uninteresting/uninspired talk of avionics/engine mod kits/etc. prevails. Work-related cellphone rings fill the air.

Airline pilots arrive at the bar. Normalcy in conversation prevails. The job is left behind, better subject matter is tabled--life is lived.

This observation is by no means comprehensive, however it has been my experience enough that this is the case the majority of the time.

In all professions you have people that are control freaks, jerks, laid back, friendly and any other adjective you want to use. Whether they are pilots that fly for a major airline or "sanitation engineers", people will have a wide range of personalities.

Certainly. I challenge nothing here.

You wonder why people don't want to go to the airlines? Having been there and left, I can tell you that I don't like being a number.

I'm sorry to have to be the one to disestablish this fantastic illusion for you, but we're all numbers; be it employee or cost/benefit-analysis.

I don't need the union "protection" because I don't do anything to work against my employer.

Ah yes...only those who seek to sabotage an operation need protection. All management decisions are just, of course.

I don't like airlines because I don't like to commute.

Who does? Then again, we don't all live in BFE.

I don't like airlines because you work a lot more than the typical flight department.

Seems to me all of my airline friends work considerably less, as none of them are on the 30 on/0-off schedule I must endure.

I don't like airlines because I don't get to make decisions, I have to follow procedures and profiles that aren't always the best/safest practice.

For example? I find nothing but the most conservative procedures/philosophies dominate airline SOP's.

But that's just me. If you like to just show up, fly the airplane and go home then maybe that's the life for you.

Fair enough. That is, after all, why I and most everyone else got into this business. If I had the slightest inclination for any other brand of nonsense, I would have done something else.

I prefer to be involved, develop real relationships with my crew AND passengers/owners and tackle the challenges that come from flying to less than well traveled airports.

Every time I hear this line (very nearly verbatim, ad infinitum) and apply the requisite philosophical considerations I come away more mystified than before.

It is most often used as a weak justification for the superiority of this type of flying, when it should be relegated to the same classificatory bag as "...well, I love that Lears have cup-holders built into the cockpit side walls, so given that I could see myself as flying nothing else..."

Make no mistake, everyone enjoys it (at least until they have to deal with the attendant bullsh*t of small town airport accomodations). As we have addressed that this profession should not define the man, however, should not the appropriate concerns be somewhere in the realm of QOL, money, and time-off to do the wife/girlfriend thing? Given these essentials, pax/crew relationships, small airport inconveniences, etc. be damned, no?

Like I said, to each his own.

No question. This is FI, however, a forum of debate. :beer:

Corporate drivers arrive at the bar. Banefully uninteresting/uninspired talk of avionics/engine mod kits/etc. prevails. Work-related cellphone rings fill the air.

Airline pilots arrive at the bar. Normalcy in conversation prevails. The job is left behind, better subject matter is tabled--life is lived.

This observation is by no means comprehensive, however it has been my experience enough that this is the case the majority of the time.

I've experienced both sides, have heard both, and I'm gonna have to disagree with you completely!! Don't know who you work/worked for, but you must have not been around many pilots if this is your experience. BTW- not knocking, just disagreeing. :beer:

All this generalization on who has the better job, or who is the better pilot is BS!! It's all personal preference. If one doesn't like, well, it's your choice to go find a job you do enjoy. I happen to enjoy the corporate world for now, but that's not to say I will not go back to the airline world later on.

OH???

I could also say the majority of airline guys do nothing at the bar but talk about lines, bids, and the never-ending contract union bull$hit. Is that fair?

They cant even cross the ocean and enjoy a meal with clogging up 123.45 with it at 3am.

Airline pilots leaving the job behind....LOL, now thats a good one.

Most corporate guys I fly with wont even stay at "crew" hotels as to avoid the airline crowd.

I can also attest that constant airplane/job no-life talk is not tolerated for very long at dinner/cocktail time with 99% of the corporate guys I know. Its certainly something most I know think about when hiring people! Anyone can fly a plane (even the mighty Boeing!) now does this person have a life?

The vast majority like to leave the job at the plane. I hope (and assume) thats also the case in the airline world.

Many of us enjoy layovers even if it costs us a few bucks. Ever see a few airline guys fight over a $12 bar tab after free cocktail hour ended and they forgot to run away?? or the commuter guys fighting over the granola bars (lunch) at the breakfast buffet??........its funnier $hit than a dozen 80yr old Long Island broads out to lunch in Palm Beach!!

:)

Making generalizations is generally pretty ignorant, no?

Last edited:
I've experienced both sides, have heard both, and I'm gonna have to disagree with you completely!! Don't know who you work/worked for, but you must have not been around many pilots if this is your experience. BTW- not knocking, just disagreeing. :beer:

Ok, ok. Fair enough. :pimp:

All this generalization on who has the better job, or who is the better pilot is BS!! It's all personal preference. If one doesn't like, well, it's your choice to go find a job you do enjoy. I happen to enjoy the corporate world for now, but that's not to say I will not go back to the airline world later on.

Well said. I find no fault with anything you've said, except that the thematic element tabled here is the moronic stereotyping of airline drivers by washed-up corporate types. As a corporate type myself, I always viewed the playground-esque practice disgusting beyond measure, and revolting asymmetric.

I just took it a step further, citing the prejudice as evidentiary of deeper problems. :)

OH???
Making generalizations is generally pretty ignorant, no?

Indeed so, which, again, is the general theme here as we started this journey when someone complained about the imbecilic prejudice levied against former-airline applicants.

If you recall, however, I couched my observations with a warning that such were by no means, necessarily comprehensive. I'm simply calling the plays as I've seen them.

Here we sit as time drags on, and still nobody has tabled compelling justification for the asymmetric exclusion of former airline pilots in corporate aviation.

Indeed so, which, again, is the general theme here as we started this journey when someone complained about the imbecilic prejudice levied against former-airline applicants.

If you recall, however, I couched my observations with a warning that such were by no means, necessarily comprehensive. I'm simply calling the plays as I've seen them.

Here we sit as time drags on, and still nobody has tabled compelling justification for the asymmetric exclusion of former airline pilots in corporate aviation.

and absolutely no question about it - we would immediately kick your a$$ if you EVER talked like this at dinner.

Last edited:
and absolutely no question about it - we would immediately kick your a$$ if you EVER talked like this at dinner.

It would definitely make a worthy footnote in The Battle History of the Civil Air Patrol.

You'd have to bring the force of your whole squadron to bear to even stand a chance, Colonel.

It would definitely make a worthy footnote in The Battle History of the Civil Air Patrol.

You'd have to bring the force of your whole squadron to bear to even stand a chance, Colonel.

My hair may be badly thinning and my teeth kinda gnarly, but we do lots of pushups in front of our Cessna 172 and we are ready to fight!

Latest resources

Back